Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

One thing I didn’t know until recently is that dead grass isn’t necessarily dead. The grass in my lawn turned green recently. It’s the same grass!
    Grass is great and I mean the eating ( for animals ) variety of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

When Hillary and Norgay climbed Everest in 1953 the news was sent using runners along some of the route. This allowed the news to reach London quicker, reaching it at 10am on the morning of Queen Elizabeths coronation.

It is thought to be the last piece of significant world news that was delivered using a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Grass is an extremely broad family of plants (Graminae or Poaceae are the scientific names for this family), with more than 12000 species. These include obvious ones like lawn grass and fodder grass species, but also bamboo and the cereals (like rice, oats and wheat).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Grass is an extremely broad family of plants (Graminae or Poaceae are the scientific names for this family), with more than 12000 species. These include obvious ones like lawn grass and fodder grass species, but also bamboo and the cereals (like rice, oats and wheat).

And bananas. But you probably knew that already. Also, some varieties of bamboo can grow up to a metre a day.

New Home wrote: »
    And bananas. But you probably knew that already. Also, some varieties of bamboo can grow up to a metre a day.

No, bananas are a herbaceous plant but not a grass, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, bananas are a herbaceous plant but not a grass, I'm afraid.

I stand corrected, so. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

KevRossi wrote: »
    When Hillary and Norgay climbed Everest in 1953 the news was sent using runners along some of the route. This allowed the news to reach London quicker, reaching it at 10am on the morning of Queen Elizabeths coronation.

It is thought to be the last piece of significant world news that was delivered using a runner.

How did using runners allow it to reach london quicker?

How did using runners allow it to reach london quicker?

The nearest place at the time with a telegraph station was Namche Bazar, about 3 days walk from Everest Base Camp.

The expedition had about 400 people, which meant it would have been 6-7 days to pack up and get to Namche. The runner did it in a little over 24 hours.

Everest was climbed on May 29th.
    Times journalist in Base Camp confirmed this and gave coded message to runner late on May 30th
    He reached Namche on morning of June 1st.
    Coded message reached London very early on June 2nd.
    Was confirmed, announced officially at 10:00am on June 2nd

Using the runner got the news to London 5-7 days in advance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And for such a ubiquitous family of plants they didn't show up on the surface of the earth until quite late in the game, roughly towards the end of the age of the dinosaurs. For most of that age dinosaurs wouldn't have known grass or seen grasslands like we have today all over the world. Grasses not unlike mammals really took off after the mass extinction at the end of the cretaceous.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

so in dinosaur times did they have plains of dirt? Plains covered in ferns n stuff? or just no plains...everything covered in trees??

• Advertisement

so in dinosaur times did they have plains of dirt? Plains covered in ferns n stuff? or just no plains...everything covered in trees??

There are plenty of plants that aren't grasses or trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

The current consensus is:
    RAXF7a.jpg

Though recent excavations make it more likely that stegosaurus could house four lasers.

So conifers, ferns, mosses, and early flowering plants were the main types of plants around in dinosaur times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lots of ferns about around ground level, cycads too. As time went on trees went from nearly all conifers or members of the gingko family to more flowering trees we're more used to.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

KevRossi wrote: »
    The nearest place at the time with a telegraph station was Namche Bazar, about 3 days walk from Everest Base Camp.

The expedition had about 400 people, which meant it would have been 6-7 days to pack up and get to Namche. The runner did it in a little over 24 hours.

Everest was climbed on May 29th.
    Times journalist in Base Camp confirmed this and gave coded message to runner late on May 30th
    He reached Namche on morning of June 1st.
    Coded message reached London very early on June 2nd.
    Was confirmed, announced officially at 10:00am on June 2nd

Using the runner got the news to London 5-7 days in advance.

Why use coded message?

Shpud2 wrote: »
    Why use coded message?

So they wouldn't get scooped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why use coded message?

It was to keep the scoop from other news media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Everest coded message was written by the Times journalist with the expedition James Morris, who in the early 70s had sex reassignment and is now 91 year old Jan Morris.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fourier wrote: »
    RAXF7a.jpg

Though recent excavations make it more likely that stegosaurus could house four lasers.

That’s obviously a fake. Perspective in paintings was only introduced in the 15th century

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That’s obviously a fake. Perspective in paintings was only introduced in the 15th century

Duh. It was obviously made by aliens. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Fourier wrote: »
    RAXF7a.jpg

It's a photograph, duh.

But they didn't have colour photography back then, come on!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How many times do I have to explain this ?

ch930919.gif

Why use coded message?

As others have said, to prevent a scoop. At the time it was the norm to inform the King or Queen of it first as a matter of protocol.

The coded message was: "Snow conditions bad stop advanced base abandoned yesterday stop awaiting improvement".

This was designed to throw anybody else off the scent. It wasn't unheard of for post office employees to link scoops at the time to rival publications.

Having worked so hard to ensure other newspapers did not steal its scoop, The Times reported the achievement briefly, hidden on an inside page under the headline: "Everest Conquered".

It was left to the Daily Express, which also sent reporters to Nepal, to give the story the prominence it deserved - splashed across the front page, alongside news of the Coronation, under the headline: "All this and Everest too."

How many times do I have to explain this ?

ch930919.gif

I could care less (:pac:)! Irregardless (:pac:), my point still stands, couldn't be a photograph from back then. Anyway, where does Barney keep his lasers?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I could care less (:pac:)! Irregardless (:pac:), my point still stands, couldn't be a photograph from back then. Anyway, where does Barney keep his lasers?

A reminder , what you actually said was

Why did you say specifically say colour photograhy ?

It's too late to backtrack, you've confirmed that some sort of imaging existed :cool:

"Never believe anything ... until it has been officially denied."

- Otto von Bismarck

Well, it'd be like photocopying a B&W picture on a colour photocopier - you wouldn't expect to get a colour picture, would you? Even a Transmogrifier couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What have I started?!!

BaZmO* is a fake news spreader. I bet you didn't know that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Transmogrifiers, ffs this is a knowledge thread not science fiction, can we get back to talking about the laser dinosaurs please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement