Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The birth of the TV Newsflash or Breaking NEWS came with the assassination of JFK.

When news started to filter to the CBS (via telephone) that shots were fired at the president the decision was made to tell the public via a live broadcast which was unheard of at the time. Unfortunately, in those days, when you switched on the live cameras they took approx 20mins to heat up to a point where they can relay pictures. From that day forward the live cameras were left on 24hrs a day.

Normal tv programming was replaced with generic "CBS Bulletin" logo until the cameras warmed fully and the infamous broadcast by Walter Cronkite's went live. Starts at 30:14. At 106:43 the confirmation of the death is relayed.

More here from 9:06 onwards:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

125 reasons why a person was sent to a Lunatic Asylum around 1864 - 1889

REASONS FOR ADMISSION
    WEST VIRGINIA HOSPITAL FOR THE INSANE (WESTON)
    OCTOBER 22, 1864 to DECEMBER 12, 1889
    Amenorrhea
    Asthma
    Bad company
    Bad habits & political excitement
    Bad whiskey
    Bite of a rattle snake
    Bloody flux
    Brain fever
    Business nerves
    Carbonic acid gas
    Carbuncle
    Cerebral softening
    Cold
    Congetion of brain
    Constitutional
    Crime
    Death of sons in the war
    Decoyed into the army
    Deranged masturbation
    Desertion by husband
    Diptheria
    Disappointed affection
    Disappointed love
    Disappointment
    Dissipation of nerves

Dissolute habits
    Dog bite
    Domestic affliction
    Domestic trouble
    Douby about mother’s ancestors
    Dropsy
    Effusion on the brain
    Egotism
    Epileptic fits
    Excessive sexual abuse
    Excitement as officer
    Explosion of shell nearby
    Exposure & hereditary
    Exposure & quackery
    Exposure in army
    Fall from horse
    False confinement
    Feebleness of intellect
    Fell from horse
    Female disease
    Fever
    Fever & loss of law suit
    Fever & nerved
    Fighting fire
    Fits & desertion of husband

Gastritis
    Gathering in the head
    Greediness
    Grief
    Gunshot wound
    Hard study
    Hereditary predisposition
    Ill treatment by husband
    Imaginary female trouble
    Immoral life
    Imprisonment
    Indigestion
    Intemperance
    Interferance
    Jealousy
    Jealousy & religion
    Kick of horse
    Kicked in the head by a horse
    Laziness
    Liver and social disease
    Loss of arm
    Marriage of son
    Masturbation & syphillis
    Masturbation for 30 years
    Medicine to prevent conception

Menstrual deranged
    Mental excitement
    Milk fever
    Moral sanity
    Novel reading
    Nymphomania
    Opium habit
    Over action on the mind
    Over heat
    Over study of religion
    Over taxing mental powers.
    Parents were cousins
    Pecuniary losses: worms
    Periodical fits
    Political excitement
    Politics
    Puerperal
    Religious enthusiasm
    Religious excitement
    Remorse
    Rumor of husband’s murder or desertion
    Salvation army
    Scarlatina
    Seduction
    Seduction & dissappointment

Self abuse
    Severe labor
    Sexual abuse and stimulants
    Sexual derangement
    Shooting of daughter
    Smallpox
    Snuff
    Snuff eating for two years
    Softening of the brain
    Spinal irritation
    Sun stroke
    Sunstroke
    Superstition
    Supressed masturbation
    Supression of menses
    Tabacco & masturbation: hysteria
    The war
    Time of life
    Trouble
    Uterine derangement
    Venerial excesses
    Vicious vices in early life
    Women
    Women trouble
    Young lady & fear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

so masterbation if you're a boy and being a girl if your a girl

I tick the box for about 120 of those...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Imagine masturbating for 29.999 years and knowing one shuffle more would end you up committed. And then doing it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

170724052749-01-stubbs-the-cat-exlarge-169.jpg

Stubbs (above) was the honorary mayor of the Alaskan town of Talkeetna who died on July 21st 2017. A cat of good taste, he would drink his water out of either a wineglass or margarita glass. The locals loved him, he never raised taxes or interfered with business, the ideal politician if ever there was one.

In what could be described as hectic final few years of life, in 2013 Stubbs was attacked by a dog and suffered a punctured lung and a fractured sternum. A crowd funding page was set up to pay his medical bills with donations being received from around the world. Then a more sinister incident occurred, local teenagers fired BB gun pellets at him, leaving one lodged in his hindquarters. Shortly after, Stubbs hitched a lift with a bin truck out of town and prompted an all-points-bulletin on the local radio station, but our hero made his own way home. Then he fell into a deep fryer at a local restaurant, thankfully it was switched off and cool at the time. He did require an all-night cleansing with dish soap after that unfortunate encounter. Old age caught up on him and from 2015 onwards, he was rarely seen in public until his passing.

Stubbs-04_Fotor_Fotor.jpg?resize=768%2C1007

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Scientists in Mongolia are examining a 200-year mummified monk who some Buddhists believe is still alive because he is in a deep meditative trance.
    Mongolia_monk_3186441e.jpg
    rv_itigelov.jpg
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/mongolia/11387391/Mongolian-scientists-study-200-year-old-mummified-monk-who-is-still-alive.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

New Home wrote: »
    Scientists in Mongolia are examining a 200-year mummified monk who some Buddhists believe is still alive because he is in a deep meditative trance.
    Mongolia_monk_3186441e.jpg
    rv_itigelov.jpg
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/mongolia/11387391/Mongolian-scientists-study-200-year-old-mummified-monk-who-is-still-alive.html
    He is resting on account rather than funds resting in his account .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Pter wrote: »
    Imagine masturbating for 29.999 years and knowing one shuffle more would end you up committed. And then doing it anyway.

Looking at the list you'd have to do it in style though, dragging back on 40 cigarettes, covering yourself in milk, drinking shíte whiskey, in the company of gypsies, whilst goading a horse, snake, and dog into attacking you.

You'd be dragged away screaming "FÚCKING WORTH IT!".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

donegal. wrote: »
    so masterbation if you're a boy and being a girl if your a girl

Definitely a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to the old wanky panky

You can get sent down for masturbation, deranged masturbation and supressed masturbation, masturbation and syphillis.... and obviously for that auld classic - the 30 year peddle (I wonder was this responsible for the loss of the arm:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I bet most farmers don't know that:

A lot of farmers in my area are still driving the good old Mitsubishi Pajero, with the word Pajero clearly visible on the rear of the car.

Pajero however is Spanish for 'wanker' which always gives me a chuckle when I trundle behind such a fine vehicle on my local country roads.

That's why the very same car has been named 'Montero' in Spain and the Americas otherwise Mitsubishi couldn't sell their cars over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That's gas. Over here Land Rover Evoque means "I can park on double yellows/zig zags/ in front of driveways whilst picking up sSorcha and Fintan from school."

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭play4fun1

Carry wrote: »

A lot of farmers in my area are still driving the good old Mitsubishi Pajero, with the word Pajero clearly visible on the rear of the car.

Pajero however is Spanish for 'wanker' which always gives me a chuckle when I trundle behind such a fine vehicle on my local country roads.

That's why the very same car has been named 'Montero' in Spain and the Americas otherwise Mitsubishi couldn't sell their cars over there.
    quit few car models had their name "changed" to suit locals

Dodge Nova
    same apply to few other product/services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

TV Series "My Kitchen Rules - Australia" is better in every way than its counterpart in Britain. The Australian one is more slick and sophistocated. The Aussie contestants really make an effort to dress the part for dinner - style is "something else". The chief Judges, Pete and Manu, are the hottest looking guys, dressed to perfection from head to toe. A third judge, Colin Fassnidge, actually hails from Dublin, and now owns a top class restautant in AU. The popup-restaurants each team of two contestants have to set up in their own homes, are outstanding. Then there's the actual cooking - mostly brilliant, representing a wide variety of cultures.

The Britsh one fails to measure up on all of these points. They appear unsophistocated and unsure of themselves a lot of the time - that's contestants and judges. Their "pop-up" restaurants simply don't have the homes and surroundings to measure up to the Assie version. Their cooking is mostly meh. Our own Rachel Allen is one of their judges. Somehow even her performance seems to fall below usual expectations. Watching the British version is a bit of a disappointment compared to the Aussie version.
    giphy.gif

That's Pete Evans, one of the Aussie judges. See what I mean! :cool: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

acai berry wrote: »
    TV Series "My Kitchen Rules - Australia" is better in every way than its counterpart in Britain. The Australian one is more slick and sophistocated. The Aussie contestants really make an effort to dress the part for dinner - style is "something else". The chief Judges, Pete and Manu, are the hottest looking guys, dressed to perfection from head to toe. A third judge, Colin Fassnidge, actually hails from Dublin, and now owns a top class restautant in AU. The popup-restaurants each team of two contestants have to set up in their own homes, are outstanding. Then there's the actual cooking - mostly brilliant, representing a wide variety of cultures.

The Britsh one fails to measure up on all of these points. They appear unsophistocated and unsure of themselves a lot of the time - that's contestants and judges. Their "pop-up" restaurants simply don't have the homes and surroundings to measure up to the Assie version. Their cooking is mostly meh. Our own Rachel Allen is one of their judges. Somehow even her performance seems to fall below usual expectations. Watching the British version is a bit of a disappointment compared to the Aussie version.
    giphy.gif

That's Pete Evans, one of the Aussie judges. See what I mean! :cool: ;)

And why did you post this in here? i am confused?

And why did you post this in here? i am confused?

It's based on my knowledge as an expert TV watcher. Has that not as much right to be here as the fact that rats and horses can't vomit? Still confused, wildlifeboy????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

It's based on my knowledge as an expert TV watcher. Has that not as much right to be heere as the fact that rats and horses can't vomit? Still confused, wildlifeboy????

But it's not fact, it's opinion. That's going against the spirit of the thread no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

TV Series "My Kitchen Rules - Australia" is better in every way than its counterpart in Britain. The Australian one is more slick and sophistocated.

But it's not fact, it's opinion. That's going against the spirit of the thread no?

I think the OP or Mod should be the judge of that. You are taking on their role. If you were to to watch samples of each of those shows, you'd see that what I'm saying is fact - not just opinion. Less of your minimodding, if you please, Squall Leonhart, and previous posters who have responded to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

Haven’t you seen Twitter. Opinion now equals fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's based on my knowledge as an expert TV watcher. Has that not as much right to be heere as the fact that rats and horses can't vomit? Still confused, wildlifeboy????

as a what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

I think the OP or Mod should be the judge of that. You are taking on their role. If you were to to watch samples of each of those shows, you'd see that what I'm saying is fact - not just opinion. Less of your minimodding, if you please, Squall Leonhart, and previous posters who have responded to this!

What if someone thinks the UK version is better. Is that also a fact?

as a what now?
    Where's your sense of humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Carry wrote: »

Mazda had a similar issue with the 'La Puta.'

The whore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

play4fun1 wrote: »
    quit few car models had their name "changed" to suit locals

Dodge Nova
    same apply to few other product/services

Well, since they hired Lucy Kennedy to do their breakfast show, I don't think that would be such a bad idea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

And Irish Mist in Germany I believe.

Mist = sh1t

UCLA's Centre on Everyday Lives of Families draws researchers from a number of disciplines to gain insight into modern life and how it's lived.

One study involving psychologists, anthropologists and sociologists found a significant link between clutter and depression. Namely that while depressed people are more likely to accumulate clutter, cluttered surroundings can also cause depression. By tracking levels of cortisol in study subjects researchers concluded that having too many possessions and living in disarray causes high levels of stress and anxiety, feelings of guilt, depression, demotivation, and affects concentration at work as well as sleep issues.

The kicker is that while women suffered most with all of the above, most men's cortisol level was affected to a far lesser extent and men were much less likely feel adversely affected by clutter. It also deduced that womens relationship with their possessions was more emotionally based, and men's more practically founded. Basically, men don't get sentimentally attached to things in the same way and men don't even see the mess - never mind get upset about it.

Personally, I didn't need a study to tell me this.

Another part of everyday life is examined by the Edinburgh Sleep Centre, and the results of a study that looked at the relationship between colour and sleep quality yielded some intereresting results. After examining 200 bedrooms and their occupants, it was determined that a light restful blue was the best color to paint your room if you were concerned about sleeping more.

People with blue bedrooms slept an average of just eight minutes short of eight hours. Compare that with the purple bedroom owners average of just five hours and fifty six minutes of sleep. Other activities were affected too. Red bedrooms saw much less action than the mid-brown ones with their occupants getting jiggy once a week compared to the brown bedrooms owners who were at it three times a week.

Receptors in the retina called ganglion cells are most senstive to the color blue and these cells send information to the part of the brain that controls our circadian rhythms and dictates how well we sleep and how well we function while we're awake. Other colors have lesser affect, but blue, yellow and green are all good choices for bedrooms and the colors least stimulating to the ganglion cells are grey, brown and purple, making them a poor choice of paint shade if sleep is what you want.

The position of brown shades on the sex/sleep spectrum does present a bit of a conundrum when it comes to deciding what's the most important thing to do in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Just as well that my bedroom is in different shades of blue.
    There is nothing like a good night's sleep.

In 1923, jockey Frank Hayes won a race at Belmont Park in New York despite being dead...

He suffered a heart attack mid-race, but his body stayed in the saddle until his horse crossed the line for a 20–1 outsider victory.
    On June 4, 1923, jockey Frank Hayes took off through the gates at Belmont Park on Long Island. He and his horse, Sweet Kiss, made it to the finish line first. But all was not well. During the race, Hayes had a heart attack and died. Nonetheless, he was declared the winner: But when the horse crossed the finish line it became quite evident that Frank Hayes was more than just “relaxed”- the jockey dropped out of the saddle, lifeless.

It was later determined that Hayes had died of heart failure shortly after Sweet Kiss took the lead, and the New York Times speculated that the jockey’s heart had given out as a result of severe training in order to make weight, coupled with the excitement of winning his first race.

Hayes, dressed in his colorful racing silks, was buried three days later. In light of the incident, Belmont’s Jockey Club waived all of the rules and thus made Hayes’ win official. This ruling makes Frank Hayes the only jockey to win a race while deceased. In fact, it is the only time in sports history when a competition was won by a dead man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think we had that one before, cos I remember someone pointing out that Jochen Rindt won the 1970 Formula 1 title despite having died in a crash four races from the end. (And then there was a debate as to whether an entire world championship was really a "competition" in the sense noted above, and it was agreed that it probably wasn't, but it was interesting anyway)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement