Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

HB Icecream originally came from Hughes Brothers Icecream, not Hazelbrook Icecream.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Wait, Britain fight against Canada and America in 1949?! Jaysus...

No, the Canadian and American were both Spitfire pilots in the Israeli Air Force and they shot down RAF Spitfires thinking they were Egyptian Spitfires.

http://www.historynet.com/spitfire-vs-spitfire-aerial-combat-israels-war-independence.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NASA went to Africa for occult science. Ultima Thule and all that.

At just shy of 300km, the N59 from Galway to Ballisadare in Sligo is the longest classified road in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Quotation marks are "macskaköröm" in Hungarian - literally translated as "cat's claws".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

Skoda have been selling cars in Ireland for a lot longer than 25 years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The “H” in Hyundai's automobile logo does stand for the company's name, it's also a stylized picture: a silhouette of two individuals shaking hands. One individual is a company representative and the other is a satisfied customer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Skoda won their class in the RAC Rally for 18 years in a row with their Estelle model. Daft name for a car, bloody successful rally car.

The first long distance drive in a car was by a woman, one Bertha Benz, she the wife of Karl Benz(Mercedes Benz) the inventor of the first internal combustion car. 100 Kms each way on her own. The name Mercedes comes from the name of the daughter of an early car dealer and racer, by the name of Emil who named his race cars after her. He approached Gottlieb Daimler who had started a car company about the same time as Benz to name a car after her. When the two companies later merged they became Mercedes Benz.

The guy whose daughter he named his cars after, eventually changed his name by deed poll to Emil Mercedes. Rare a parent takes on their kids names. :) One reason being that in the early days cars and teams were raced under the drivers name, not the makers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I had a post of some interesting things about Minnesota typed up and sent and just noticed the outage gremlins ate it somewhere between my keyboard and this thread.

It was interesting enough too, but I just can't be bothered to type the damn thing up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Wibbs wrote: »
    Skoda won their class in the RAC Rally for 18 years in a row with their Estelle model. Daft name for a car, bloody successful rally car.

The first long distance drive in a car was by a woman, one Bertha Benz, she the wife of Karl Benz(Mercedes Benz) the inventor of the first internal combustion car. 100 Kms each way on her own. The name Mercedes comes from the name of the daughter of an early car dealer and racer, by the name of Emil who named his race cars after her. He approached Gottlieb Daimler who had started a car company about the same time as Benz to name a car after her. When the two companies later merged they became Mercedes Benz.

The guy whose daughter he named his cars after, eventually changed his name by deed poll to Emil Mercedes. Rare a parent takes on their kids names. :) One reason being that in the early days cars and teams were raced under the drivers name, not the makers.

I visited a town in Germany called Wiesloch. Closest well-known city would be Heidelberg I guess. Was with a few colleagues who gave me a tour of the town. The wife of one of the colleagues pointed out the town's pharmacy, which was the world's first "filling station" - Bertha Benz stopped here to refill the tank on that first journey. Pharmacies sold some sort of petroleum at the time and I think it lead to Pharmacies in general selling fuel on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

200068846-001-56a51fb53df78cf772865e12.jpg

We have all heard old saying "like a moth to a flame", but did you know that we really don't know why they are attracted to light?

Some entomologists say that months are attracted to lights because they throw off their internal navigation system. Moths did not evolve around bright lights, but rather at a time when the only lights would have been the distant sun, moon and stars. Nighttime insects) navigate by flying at a constant angle relative to a distant light source, such as the moon, this behaviour is called transverse orientation. Around man-made lights (campfire, porch light etc) the angle to the source of light changes as the moth flies by and this confuses it. The theory is that they become dazzled by the light and are somehow attracted.

That theory has a number of holes.

Firstly, while lightbulbs may be new enough, campfires have been around for about 400,000 years. The counter argument is that natural selection should have killed off moths whose instinct tells them to go all crash pilot every time they feel blinded by the light?

Secondly, moths may not use transverse orientation like some of their other nocturnal buddies. That would only be done by migrating species (if it was being done at all) and it would not explain why the 50-70% of moths that don't migrate would also use moonlight as a navigation aid.

Therefore, we can rule out transverse orientation.

Another theory was put into the public domain back in the 1970s by entomologist, Philip Callahan. He said that the infrared light spectrum emitted by a candle flame happens to contain a few of the exact same frequencies of light given off by female moths' pheromones, or sex hormones. Callahan had previously discovered that the pheromones are luminescent — they glow very faintly. In other words, male moths are attracted to candles thinking that they are female sending out sex signals.

This theory also has a big fault.

The main ultraviolet light is far more attractive to insects of various kinds, including moths, than infrared light is. Meaning there's no reason why UV light should remind moths of sex as it doesn't contain the same wavelengths as their glowing pheromones.

It has been observed that moths are less attracted to artificial lights during the week of the full moon than they are during the new moon week. This gave rise to the theory that moths are flying towards the moon. However, if this were true, how do they carry on the cycle of life when they are on a one way ticket to the moon? In fact, the real reason they are not active around the time of the full moon is that the light doesn't drop off as much at night, and it is nightfall and darkness trigger moth activity.

TL;DR We really don't know why they go for the light!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Pharmacies sold some sort of petroleum at the time and I think it lead to Pharmacies in general selling fuel on the side.
    They did indeed RaR. IIRC it was originally called "Motor spirit". "Petrol" took off as the name in ex British empire territories, everywhere else it's usually a variation of a theme on Benzine*, so "Benzina" in Italian, "Benzin" in Germany for example. Oh and no connection with Karl Benz, that's just a coincidence, if an appropriate one. :) Again IIRC it originally comes from a plant based oil? The French call it "Essence" IIRC, the Spanish "Gasolina".

On that note, US and other folks call it Gasoline/Gas(or more like Gaaaaas), which is a tad confusing**, but it has an Irish connection. An English company trademarked "Cazoline", but a Dublin brewer and purveyor of motoring spirits was using that name on the sly and got a threatening cease and desist letter, so rather than caving in, he thinks Feck that and changes the C for a G and the Z for an S and came up with Gasoline, the first spelling of same. Now whether this caught on directly or naturally evolved elsewhere is another question.

*all spellings are off the top of my mostly empty head so apologies and someone more clued in will be along shortly. :o

** then again our American cousins usually use "motor" instead of "engine" which is technically incorrect. Motor is correct for an EV, but not for an internal(or external) combustion engine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Speaking of Heidelberg. All colour pictures/photos in print are produced from 4 coloured inks - CMYK - Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and the Key colour - Black.

Anybody who has ever worked in the print business is believed to have PMS 485 flowing through their veins. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

^ Speaking of Heidelberg. All colour pictures/photos in print are produced from 4 coloured inks - CMYK - Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and the Key colour - Black.

Anybody who has ever worked in the print business is believed to have PMS 485 flowing through their veins. :)

:eek: Even the men? :eek:

New Home wrote: »
    :eek: Even the men? :eek:

Interestingly, I've never worked in print yet have been known to have PMS flowing through my veins like a river of hormone-fuelled carb-and-sugar-craving murderous rage.

I bet you didn't know that! :P

/scoffs chocolate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Candie wrote:
    I bet you didn't know that!

Candie, dont shatter the illusion! You always seem so nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Candie wrote: »
    Interestingly, I've never worked in print yet have been known to have PMS flowing through my veins like a river of hormone-fuelled carb-and-sugar-craving murderous rage.

I bet you didn't know that! :P

/scoffs chocolate

*quietly closes thread*

:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Candie, dont shatter the illusion! You always seem so nice :)

It's only thanks to the chocolate. And the ice cream. And the bikkies. I speak from experience (and yes, I should probably increase the dosage, because people usually can't tell the difference :().

Ah I never get in a rage! I just a LOT of toast. Toast cures everything you know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Wibbs wrote: »
    They did indeed RaR. IIRC it was originally called "Motor spirit". "Petrol" took off as the name in ex British empire territories, everywhere else it's usually a variation of a theme on Benzine*, so "Benzina" in Italian, "Benzin" in Germany for example. Oh and no connection with Karl Benz, that's just a coincidence, if an appropriate one. :) Again IIRC it originally comes from a plant based oil? The French call it "Essence" IIRC, the Spanish "Gasolina".

The word Benzin(e) origines from the Arabic word luban djahwi, meaning frankincense from Java. As the word traveled through trades between Catalonia and Arabia the first syllable (lu) disappeared and the first a became an e. In Italy it was eventually called benjui, in France benjoi, in middle Latin it became benzoë which turned into the (English) word benzole.

Of course, frankincense has nothing to do with petrol as we know it. This frankincense was however a resin from the tree styrax benzoin which was used as a base material to create the so-called ‘motor spirit’.

Petrol or petroleum derives from the Greek word petros (rock) and the Latin word oleum (oil) = oil from the rock, oily rock, rocky oil...

I’m turning into a terrible nerd because of this thread.

Now I want to know Candie’s titbits about Minnesota, if you would please :)

• Advertisement

Carry wrote: »
    The word Benzin(e) origines from the Arabic word luban djahwi, meaning frankincense from Java. As the word traveled through trades between Catalonia and Arabia the first syllable (lu) disappeared and the first a became an e. In Italy it was eventually called benjui, in France benjoi, in middle Latin it became benzoë which turned into the (English) word benzole.

Of course, frankincense has nothing to do with petrol as we know it. This frankincense was however a resin from the tree styrax benzoin which was used as a base material to create the so-called ‘motor spirit’.

Petrol or petroleum derives from the Greek word petros (rock) and the Latin word oleum (oil) = oil from the rock, oily rock, rocky oil...

I’m turning into a terrible nerd because of this thread.

Now I want to know Candie’s titbits about Minnesota, if you would please :)

I still have the hump that my post got gobbled into the ether!

I will tell you this though. There are more than 11,000 lakes in Minnesota and yet it's called the Land of 10,000 Lakes. Ooh, ya. :)

Also there's a recreational boat for every six residents in the State, which lets face it, has a lot to do with having 11,000 plus lakes.

Also home of the worlds largest ball of twine, but that's just a bonus fact. :)

Ah there was lots more interesting stuff but I've forgotten most of it because I was distracted by oiling my countertops. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

You don't have to care to be a carer.

Carry wrote: »
    Of course, frankincense has nothing to do with petrol as we know it.
    Funny enough and off topic I love a bit of frankincense myself. Burn it on the regular, and not the fake joss sticks crap either, the resin. I get it from two sources, a Church supplier and an Arab lad I know. The Catholic Church is one of the biggest customers for the stuff. Frankincense has a history going back many thousands of years. It was one of the most important trade goods of the ancient world. Ancient Egyptians and everyone else used it for medicinal purposes and after they burnt it for its scent, they used the ashes mixed with oil as their eyeliner.

Ancient Egyptian woman. Earlier. About to snort a Lotus flower. Or about to give herself a tan from a very funky sunlamp. Frankincense was also used as a perfume throughout the middle east and Europe for a long time.

6260441258_0433282de5_b.jpg

The blue lotus was considered a very important part of their culture. It bloomed in the day and closed its petals at night, so represented the day/night and life/death cycle. And prepared in a certain way you get well off your tits on it. Always a bonus. Yer wan above is about to be accused of hogging the spliff. And one nipple is out and proud. Dirty.

And coming back to cars and petrol and that, when I want to give my car interior a freshen up, I don't use a magic tree or any of that, I burn frankincense resin in it for an hour. Cos I'm weird.

I don't associate the smell with anything other than religious ceremonies. Frankensense is burned with spices at the deceased persons home after cremation in the Hindu tradition. I wonder if it's presence at funerals is something to do with it's medicinal properties or if the scent is the main reason for it's burning. It's very hard to smell anything else with that on the go. It's smoke is supposed to symbolize the spirit of the person rising to be reborn, or somesuch.

I'd stick with a few drops of orange oil for a nice car smell, myself. Febreze, at a push. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Candie wrote: »
    I wonder if it's presence at funerals is something to do with it's medicinal properties or if the scent is the main reason for it's burning.

Aromatherapists list it as both 'soothing and comforting' so might be handy. Likely also in the burner yoke they wave around, is a good aul dose of sage.

Sage has depurative properties (expels toxins) is also anti-fungal/bacterial/inflammatory. It'll even clear a house/teepee/mud hut of bad vibes, just as the native Americans and other indigenous tribes have done for thousands of years.

Aromatherapists list it as both 'soothing and comforting' so might be handy. Likely also in the burner yoke they wave around, is a good aul dose of sage.

Sage has depurative properties (expels toxins) is also anti-fungal/bacterial/inflammatory. It'll even clear a house/teepee/mud hut of bad vibes, just as the native Americans and other indigenous tribes have done for thousands of years.

Ah yes, nothing like a good smudging to see the trickster off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

As I've mentioned before, you're taught in school that atoms are made of electron, protons and neutrons. Like Helium has two electrons, two protons and two neutrons. I've also mentioned that this is just a useful idea, Helium is really a very complex system that in many situations acts as if it was made of the six particles above. This is the same with all atoms, they're not really a bunch of simpler particles orbiting each other.

However since this simplification is so useful, what are the things it can't explain? Well if atoms were really just "made of" electrons, protons and neutrons then (just a sample list):
    1. Gold wouldn't be gold coloured
    2. Mercury wouldn't be a liquid at room temperature
    3. Car batteries wouldn't start
    4. Thallium wouldn't be poisonous
    5. We wouldn't be able to get Copper and Zinc from our food into our nervous systems where it is needed.
    6. Large fish like Bass and Sturgeon wouldn't be able to get heavy Mercury poisoning as the process of mercury methylation wouldn't be possible. Since it is possible, they have Mercury concentrations millions of times higher than the waters they swim in. Hence the restrictions of these fish in the diets of small children and pregnant women. The failure of the simple atomic model to account for this was only discovered in 2017. So if a child wants some Bass tell them they can't have it because of limits of the conventional model of atoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

But to get 'proper' (rich) black. you need to mix one of more colours, with K.

e.g. C=60 M=40 Y=40 K=100 (240% load, don't usually want to get over 255% print load or it will result in show-through and drying issues if commercial).

Your home printer might handle FOGRA39 (91, 79, 62, 97) if you don't mind some loss of smaller details (if registration not precise) and the paper not too light (100gsm+). Otherwise 100k+40 from one of the others might do.

There are plenty of other black 'blacks' to choose from warm, cold or full registration.

The worlds 'blackest black' is made with packed carbon nano tubes, it's regarded as being 'pretty much very very dark' with 0.04 chance of reflectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

On the boards touch site there are only 3 tabs shown on the homepage, - Latest, My Forums and My Threads. However if you want to view the Trending threads you can do so at this link:

https://touch.boards.ie/trending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

But to get 'proper' (rich) black. you need to mix one of more colours, with K.

e.g. C=60 M=40 Y=40 K=100 (240% load, don't usually want to get over 255% print load or it will result in show-through and drying issues if commercial).

Your home printer might handle FOGRA39 (91, 79, 62, 97) if you don't mind some loss of smaller details (if registration not precise) and the paper not too light (100gsm+). Otherwise 100k+40 from one of the others might do.

There are plenty of other black 'blacks' to choose from warm, cold or full registration.

The worlds 'blackest black' is made with packed carbon nano tubes, it's regarded as being 'pretty much very very dark' with 0.04 chance of reflectiveness.

You left out priests socks from your list :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement