Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

But to get 'proper' (rich) black. you need to mix one of more colours, with K.

e.g. C=60 M=40 Y=40 K=100 (240% load, don't usually want to get over 255% print load or it will result in show-through and drying issues if commercial).

Your home printer might handle FOGRA39 (91, 79, 62, 97) if you don't mind some loss of smaller details (if registration not precise) and the paper not too light (100gsm+). Otherwise 100k+40 from one of the others might do.

There are plenty of other black 'blacks' to choose from warm, cold or full registration.

The worlds 'blackest black' is made with packed carbon nano tubes, it's regarded as being 'pretty much very very dark' with 0.04 chance of reflectiveness.

it is called Vantablack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Wibbs wrote: »

Ancient Egyptian woman. Earlier. About to snort a Lotus flower. Or about to give herself a tan from a very funky sunlamp. Frankincense was also used as a perfume throughout the middle east and Europe for a long time.

The blue lotus was considered a very important part of their culture. It bloomed in the day and closed its petals at night, so represented the day/night and life/death cycle. And prepared in a certain way you get well off your tits on it. Always a bonus. Yer wan above is about to be accused of hogging the spliff. And one nipple is out and proud. Dirty.

Chain of associations here, from car names via petrol to flowers and scents ...:)

Blue lotus or water lily in ancient Egypt is often associated with the sun god, Ra, because the flower submerges under water at dusk and reappears at dawn, like the sun.

The Egyptians used the flower as an ingredient for a favourite drink, that is they soaked water lily blooms in wine. The flower released nurpharine, nupharidine and nuciferine which all have hallucinogenic and narcotic properties. I can imagine that the ancient Egyptians were mightily sloshed and happily high after drinking that stuff.

The scent of this flower (before soaked in wine) was seen as an aphrodisiac and is used in perfume until today. One modern perfume with a water lily note is Chanel Allure, apt name, too.

Talking about aphrodisiac scents: Tuberose is the ultimate seductive scent (it’s really very heady). In the Victorian flower language it represents dangerous pleasures and voluptuousness.
    Tuberose is a night blooming flower, belongs to the lily family and originates in Central America, but is by now cultivated in southern Europe (mainly in Grasse) and Asia (India), mostly for the perfume industry.

In India unmarried girls are warned not to breathe in the scent of the tuberose after dark, otherwise it might give them ideas. In Ayurvedic medicine it’s used to 'stimulate serenity, creativity and psychic powers'.

The most famous tuberose perfume and one that really captures the original scent is Fracas by Robert Piquet.

I have a bottle of this but rarely use it because it can be overwhelming. But tonight I’m going out, will dress up nicely and douse myself in Fracas. Let’s see what happens ... (it’s purely for scientific research, of course). :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"Tuberose", funnily enough, comes from the Latin word "tuberosa", i.e. "tuberous".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ice cream known as "Häagen-Dazs" name comes from a bunch of nonsensical words spoken randomly by company founder, Reuben Mattus, who just sat at the kitchen table for hours until he came up with a combination he liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

On the boards touch site there are only 3 tabs shown on the homepage, - Latest, My Forums and My Threads. However if you want to view the Trending threads you can do so at this link:

https://touch.boards.ie/trending

Definitely didn't know this! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In their tourism marketing Malta claims that the island has 365 churches, "one for every day of the year". In the same fashion the tourism marketing of Antigua in the Caribbean claims that the island has 365 beaches, "one for every day of the year". Having been to both I know which island I would prefer to spend a year on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

They have inflatable one, I guess. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Muahahaha wrote: »
    In their tourism marketing Malta claims that the island has 365 churches, "one for every day of the year". In the same fashion the tourism marketing of Antigua in the Caribbean claims that the island has 365 beaches, "one for every day of the year". Having been to both I know which island I would prefer to spend a year on.

I've heard it said that there's 365 lakes in Cavan "1 for every day of the year"

I've no idea if that's true or not, you can never be quite sure about anything a cute cavan hoor tells you!

What I do know though is that one of them looks just like a willy!

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/pic-theres-a-lake-in-cavan-that-looks-remarkably-like-a-penis-490150

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

joujoujou wrote: »
    They have inflatable one, I guess. :D

there are popup shops and restaurants these days so why not a popup church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Carbery in West Cork is very poor as it only has one hundred islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Water John wrote: »
    Carbery in West Cork is very poor as it only has one hundred islands.

"One for every 3.65 days of the year"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

joujoujou wrote: »
    Ice cream known as "Häagen-Dazs" name comes from a bunch of nonsensical words spoken randomly by company founder, Reuben Mattus, who just sat at the kitchen table for hours until he came up with a combination he liked.
    Names picked out of a phone book to make it sound foreign IIRC

And it's not even that nice. IMHO.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Talking about phone books, Philip Pullman chose the name for one of the characters in "His Dark Materials" trilogy from the Finnish phone book. It was the witch Serafina Pekkala.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Clew Bay has 365 islands*

And every four years there's an extra large tide...

*orabout half that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Speaking of phone books, it reminded me of this article I came across a while ago.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/540621/physicists-solve-the-mystery-of-interleaved-phone-books/

Who would have thought that sticking 2 phone books together could give such interesting results.

Turns out it's the act of pulling them apart that makes it harder to separate. Well that and the orthogonal forces from the angle generated by the pages not being exactly flat relative to each other.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Science people have finally figured out how to break a piece of spagetti into TWO pieces. :eek:

Science people have finally figured out how to break a piece of spagetti into TWO pieces. :eek:

Or... just hold it with your fingers in the middle of the piece of pasta. :pac:

On a different note, it seems that the whole of Bangladesh produces less CO2 than the city of Paris alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Tony Curtis’ female voice was actually dubbed by an actor named Paul Frees in Some Like It Hot.
    I just finished reading Tony’s book about the movie where he says “he dubbed all the lines I’d spoken in falsetto.”
    According to IMDB trivia it was an amagamation of both their voices:

“In an interview with Leonard Maltin, Tony Curtis' confirmed that the voice of his character's female alter ego (Josephine) was an audio modulation of both his own voice and that of actor Paul Frees. By his own admission, Curtis had difficulty in maintaining the falsetto for an extended time.”

I was a bit disappointed when I learned that.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    On a different note, it seems that the whole of Bangladesh produces less CO2 than the city of Paris alone.

500px-PiratesVsTemp%28en%29.svg.png

Bangladeshi pirates have created a reign of terror in the Bay of Bengal by regularly robbing fishermen, kidnapping them for ransom and even killing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

They say Lough corrib has 365 islands on it.

They say the same about Lough leane in Kerry.

They also say muckross house in Kerry has 365 Windows....

Seems to be a common thingy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

why is that graph hurting me?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Tony Curtis’ female voice was actually dubbed by an actor named Paul Frees in Some Like It Hot.
    I just finished reading Tony’s book about the movie where he says “he dubbed all the lines I’d spoken in falsetto.”
    According to IMDB trivia it was an amagamation of both their voices:

“In an interview with Leonard Maltin, Tony Curtis' confirmed that the voice of his character's female alter ego (Josephine) was an audio modulation of both his own voice and that of actor Paul Frees. By his own admission, Curtis had difficulty in maintaining the falsetto for an extended time.”

I was a bit disappointed when I learned that.
    tumblr_nc4vhqozi41thh46do7_r1_250.gif
    :D

Marilyn Monroe was unreliable during production, and in one famous case it took over 80 takes to get her to deliver a simple “Where’s that bourbon?” or “It’s me, Sugar.” This put heaps of pressure on Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon because they had to be perfect on every take because director Billy Wilder would use the one where Monroe was perfect, regardless of how well they performed the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

mzungu wrote: »
    tumblr_nc4vhqozi41thh46do7_r1_250.gif
    :D

Marilyn Monroe was unreliable during production, and in one famous case it took over 80 takes to get her to deliver a simple “Where’s that bourbon?” or “It’s me, Sugar.” This put heaps of pressure on Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon because they had to be perfect on every take because director Billy Wilder would use the one where Monroe was perfect, regardless of how well they performed the scene.

:D I only recently discovered that movie, not sure how or why and it’s my absolute favourite!
    Yes, according to the book his performance would deteriorate (understandably) with all the takes and more footage of Marilyn ended up being used over Tony. I’ve read both his books and he seemed very self-congratulatory, so I’m sure that did not go down well.
    Such a dreamboat though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Crows are pretty smart:

A theme park in France is set to deploy six "intelligent" birds (rooks) this week to pick up rubbish and spruce up the grounds, they get a reward for placing small pieces of rubbish in a box...

As well as their usual 'caw' they can learn to imitate the calls of other birds, and sometimes say 'hello' to humans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsnHVaScjg

But occasionally awkward too

'Crows Sometimes Have Sex With Their Dead', during their 'bird funerals'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It is a great movie. Holds up so well. Many people will know this but not all: the hotel where they stayed, supposedly in Florida, is the hotel del Coronado in San Diego, California.

I’ve been there a few times. Very recognisable as the hotel in Some Like It Hot. They don’t really make a fuss about the movie, there’s a few photos in the corridors of the actors when they were staying, however.

The mayor of Miami was not amused, saying it was “a sacrilege” to allow Southern California to assume the role of Florida’s “Sunshine State.”

The mayor of San Diego retorted that “some like it hot, but not as hot as September in Miami”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yeah I'd like that explained to me. I absolutely have no idea what information is being conveyed there. As global temperatures go up, the number of pirates increases? Ok but on what time line has the temperature increased? And what are the numbers on the pirates line indicative of? 17? I have a headache.

It’s a stupid graph but ... the numbers on the graph points are the years. The y axis is the temperature. The x axis is the number of pirates, reversed (but there’s no consistency to the spacing).

Anyway what is shows is that the number of pirates has dropped over the years, and also the temperature has gone up.

It’s probably showing that correlation is not causation. Either that or it’s a typically innumerate graph from climate deniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It’s a stupid graph but ... the numbers on the graph points are the years. The y axis is the temperature. The x axis is the number of pirates, reversed (but there’s no consistency to the spacing).

Anyway what is shows is that the number of pirates has dropped over the years, and also the temperature has gone up.

It’s probably showing that correlation is not causation. Either that or it’s a typically innumerate graph from climate deniers.
    I actually deleted my post because I tried to explain it in an edit and got even more flustered. It's an absolutely mind bogglingly pointless graph. The line measures the fact that twenty year intervals have passed in smooth succession? And during that time random numbers of pirates existed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

At uni we were taught in the first semester in the statistics course not to trust any statistics. Old adage, I know, but true nonetheless.

You can correlate anything you want, i. e. that the birth rate, say, in Denmark correlates to the appearance of storks, which could be used as proof that actually storks bring the little babies (in Germany kids were once told when asking 'where do the babies come from?' that the storks bring them :rolleyes:).

Correlations must be relevant, like the rise of sea level correlates to flooding or the amount of pints you drink correlates to drunkenness level.
    Plus you have to count in other factors, like alcohol tolerance in the latter example, in how many hours the pints were consumed, if there was any food involved etc.
    Serious statistics never ever use only two data for correlation.

Explanation is a bit simplified, my student times are too many moons ago...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement