Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

OSI is akkunt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

New Home wrote: »
    Talking about phone books, David Pullman chose the name for one of the characters in "His Dark Materials" trilogy from the Finnish phone book. It was the witch Serafina Pekkala.

Philip Pullman wrote the His Dark Materials books, David Pullman developed the so-called "Pullman Bonds", initially for David Bowie (the "Bowie Bond") but also for artists like Rod Stewart, James Brown and The Isley Brothers. These bonds were a loan based on the future earnings of the artist's back catalogue, but they were effectively declared as junk bonds when Napster began to take hold in the listening public's consciousness.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

blastman wrote: »
    Philip Pullman wrote the His Dark Materials books, David Pullman developed the so-called "Pullman Bonds", initially for David Bowie (the "Bowie Bond") but also for artists like Rod Stewart, James Brown and The Isley Brothers. These bonds were a loan based on the future earnings of the artist's back catalogue, but they were effectively declared as junk bonds when Napster began to take hold in the listening public's consciousness.

I really didn't know that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The Unabomber Ted Kaczynski was subjected to 3 years of psychological thought experiments unbeknownst to him while in Harvard. The person who administered the test was the same one who oversaw the MKUltra experiments; Henry Murray.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/mind-wars/201205/harvards-experiment-the-unabomber-class-62

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Crows are pretty smart:

A theme park in France is set to deploy six "intelligent" birds (rooks) this week to pick up rubbish and spruce up the grounds, they get a reward for placing small pieces of rubbish in a box...

As well as their usual 'caw' they can learn to imitate the calls of other birds, and sometimes say 'hello' to humans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsnHVaScjg

But occasionally awkward too

'Crows Sometimes Have Sex With Their Dead', during their 'bird funerals'...

They are extremely smart indeed:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSu2PXOTOc
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvidae#Intelligence

Also, gross. I've seen a crow picking up the solid bits from the aftermath of someone getting sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The baldy oul fella that Benny Hill used pat on the head is Alan Kernaghans (ex Irish international) granduncle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Cordell wrote: »

Also, gross. I've seen a crow picking up the solid bits from the aftermath of someone getting sick.

Never mind a crow, I've seen a person do it with a pill from a night club floor:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Just found out 2 minutes ago - Tori Amos lives in West Cork!

Yeah you all knew am sure, am so not hip!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Never mind a crow, I've seen a person do it with a pill from a night club floor:eek:

How did they know it's the right kind, or did they just hope that's a yoke and not a roofie?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Cordell wrote: »
    How did they know it's the right kind, or did they just hope that's a yoke and not a roofie?

I assume they'd just taken it or something - I wasn't too inclined to enquire further!:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

:D I only recently discovered that movie, not sure how or why and it’s my absolute favourite!
    Yes, according to the book his performance would deteriorate (understandably) with all the takes and more footage of Marilyn ended up being used over Tony. I’ve read both his books and he seemed very self-congratulatory, so I’m sure that did not go down well.
    Such a dreamboat though.
    Its what they would have wanted .

POTENTIALLY UPSETTING POST

Up until 1987, as hard as it is to believe, newborn and premature babies were routinely operated on without anaesthetic. Paralytic drugs were given to keep them still during surgery, but it was considered too dangerous to give potent anaesthetic drugs to children as their effects were unknown on kids so young, and it was believed that babies that young couldn't feel pain properly, and if they could they wouldn't remember or be affected by it. Even heart surgery was done without anaesthesia.

A 1970 study carried out by Johns Hopkins found that even children up to the age of eight were given inadequate or more likely no pain relief post-operatively, even in the case of children with cancers or amputations, and the study uncovered evidence of long term psychological damage to kids left in agony. An unsurprising consequence, and another study study twenty years later found that half of all kids were still given no analgesics after surgery, and the rest weren't given enough to be effective.

The parents of a premature baby called Jeffrey Lawson who died in 1985, weeks after heart surgery needed to give him a chance of life, discovered after his death that he had been operated on without anaesthetic, and given no pain relief after his operation.

Because of the awareness and outrage they raised over this practice, two years after he died the American Academy of Pediatrics stated that it was no longer ethical to perform surgery on premature babies without anaesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Good grief, or better: Holy shít!

I don't even want to imagine what these babies and kids went through.
    How can medical personnel, any trained medic even come to that conclusion?
    They surely did learn about nerve tracts and brain activity, it's basic knowledge not only in medical training?

But just shows the arrogance of certain humans to think that anyone who can't talk or communicate in an "adult" way doesn't feel pain and/or fear.
    The attitude applies until today towards animals.

Carry wrote: »

They surely did learn about nerve tracts and brain activity, it's basic knowledge not only in medical training?

But just shows the arrogance of certain humans to think that anyone who can't talk or communicate in an "adult" way doesn't feel pain and/or fear.

It had been thought that the pain pathways were too underdeveloped for them to perceive pain. It's now known that a foetus in utero responds to pain as young as eight weeks gestation.

Hard to believe this was the thinking so relatively recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Candie, that last post is more disturbing than either eyelash mites or horrendous forms of execution! :(:(:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Unfortunately, that also still applies to severely disabled people, too. If they can't talk or move (as with people with locked-in syndrome), then according to certain people (including those working in the medical and nursing fields) they're not "there", they're just "vegetables". It fills me with rage! So many people are just dismissed because they don't have the financial means and connections to obtain aids like the ones given to Stephen Hawking, for instance, and "they're just not worth the effort".

:mad::(:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Candie, that last post is more disturbing than either eyelash mites or horrendous forms of execution! :(:(:(

Yeah, our Candie has quite morbid interests or morsels of knowledge to share... :D

I'm still terrified of the eyelash mites.

It's horrendous. I was born in 1987, if I'd been born prematurely or needed some surgical correction, I could have been opened and operated on with no consideration given to my pain at all.

Apparently childrens pain can still be underestimated and undertreated, though of course it's a much better scenario than it used to be, but it's still not perfect.

Yeah, our Candie has quite morbid interests or morsels of knowledge to share... :D

I'm still terrified of the eyelash mites.

:)

I'm really sorry about that, Carry. I should have thought of putting a warning on it before anyone read it.

Knowledge is power, Candie - better the devil you know, etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

France is bacon.

Candie wrote: »
    It had been thought that the pain pathways were too underdeveloped for them to perceive pain. It's now known that a foetus in utero responds to pain as young as eight weeks gestation.

Hard to believe this was the thinking so relatively recently.
    Funny enough a few years ago someone was arguing with me when I said I had reservations about abortion and they said foetuses can't find pain. They found NHS links and all which surprised me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

France is bacon.

funny-gif-size-i-see-what-you-did-there.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Ideonella sakaiensis is a strain of bacteria discovered in a PET plastics recycling plant in Japan. After incubating this bacteria with some PET film they found that it could fully digest a thin plastic bottle in about six weeks. In other words it was digesting and metabolising the plastic as a carbon source.

This is the first time a bacteria was found to be able to digest, metabolise and grow solely on a man made PET plastics, the strongest and most abundant of all plastic. This is significant as by 2050 it's estimated that there'll be more plastic in the ocean by mass than fish.

Ideonella does that by excreting an enzyme called PETase. This enzyme has likely evolved from enzymes called cutinases which break down cutin, a waxy polyester that forms the cuticle of the plant. Both cutin and PET are polyesters (contain lots of ester bonds) and the gene sequence for both enzymes are extremely similar. Below is a picture of the effects the enzyme has when incubated with plastic (from left to right of the top images is plastic without the enzyme, with the enzyme and with an engineered version of the enzyme).

F3.large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ideonella sakaiensis is a strain of bacteria discovered in a PET plastics recycling plant in Japan. After incubating this bacteria with some PET film they found that it could fully digest a thin plastic bottle in about six weeks. In other words it was digesting and metabolising the plastic as a carbon source.

This is the first time a bacteria was found to be able to digest, metabolise and grow solely on a man made PET plastics, the strongest and most abundant of all plastic. This is significant as by 2050 it's estimated that there'll be more plastic in the ocean by mass than fish.

Ideonella does that by excreting an enzyme called PETase. This enzyme has likely evolved from enzymes called cutinases which break down cutin, a waxy polyester that forms the cuticle of the plant. Both cutin and PET are polyesters (contain lots of ester bonds) and the gene sequence for both enzymes are extremely similar. Below is a picture of the effects the enzyme has when incubated with plastic (from left to right of the top images is plastic without the enzyme, with the enzyme and with an engineered version of the enzyme).

F3.large.jpg

Nature always finds a way.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Candie, it's not often I'm shocked but that did it.

badtoro wrote: »
    Candie, it's not often I'm shocked but that did it.

I have to say I'm surprised at how many this is news to. I didn't think it was that uncommonly known. I was just reminded of it in work today and thought I'd post it in case there were people who didn't know.

I feel a bit bad for upsetting people. :(

Pft. Candie is so mean. I bet next she'll fabricate some story as there not being such a thing as the Tooth Fairy. Or Santa! Could you imagine?

New Home wrote: »
    Pft. Candie is so mean. I bet next she'll fabricate some story as there not being such a thing as the Tooth Fairy. Or Santa! Could you imagine?

I should probably have put a warning on that too, it is upsetting. I tend to just post whatever occurs to me that I think is interesting, upsetting or not.

Or maybe I should just think twice about what I post more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

donegal. wrote: »
    why is that graph hurting me?

OneGraph.jpg

Try this one from the Journal of Irreproducable Results http://jir.com/graph_contest/index.html

The orgin story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#Pirates_and_global_warming
    The inclusion of pirates in Pastafarianism was part of Henderson's original letter to the Kansas State Board of Education, in an effort to illustrate that correlation does not imply causation.

BTW : Somalia has "the highest number of pirates and the lowest carbon emissions of any country" ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement