Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ben Nevis at 1,345m is the Highest montain in the UK

Except it's not.

Mount Hope is 3,239m. But there's some question as to whether it's really in the UK so probably safer to say Mount Paget at 2,935m

Neither are in the UK though :P

The human clavicle is so named because it's shape is reminiscent of the shape of Roman door keys, or clavicula.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Candie wrote: »
    The human clavicle is so named because it's shape is reminiscent of the shape of Roman door keys, or clavicula.

From Wikipedia:

"It receives its name from the Latin: clavicula ("little key") because the bone rotates along its axis like a key when the shoulder is abducted."

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The medical term for fingers is phalanges. And toes are phalanges too! Not too weird I guess, as in French "toes" translate to "foot fingers".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The tea-bag was an accident.

Back in 1908 tea merchant Thomas Sullivan gave out his tea samples in small silken bags. His customers did not understand that the bags were to hold the sample, so they dunked them into their tea. It proved popular and orders for these tea-bags went through the roof. Sullivan did make one amendment, he changed the silk bag for ones made of gauze as he felt that the mesh on the silk bags was too fine.

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:

"It receives its name from the Latin: clavicula ("little key") because the bone rotates along its axis like a key when the shoulder is abducted."

Wiki is wrong on this one. My big brother told me about it, and my big brother is never wrong about nuthin'. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

clavicle (n.)

"collarbone," 1610s, from Middle French clavicule "collarbone" (16c.), also "small key," from Medieval Latin clavicula "collarbone" (used … c. 980 in a translation of Avicenna), special use of classical Latin clavicula, literally "small key, bolt," diminutive of clavis "key …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Candie wrote: »
    Wiki is wrong on this one. My big brother told me about it, and my big brother is never wrong about nuthin'. :)

So what you're actually saying is your big brother is wrong about everything ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

AP McCoy had his first ride – seventh-placed Nordic Touch on the Flat at now defunct Dublin track of Phoenix Park on this day (September 1st) in 1990. Pat Healy took two photos of the then unknown jockey with Jim Bolger and his dad Peader because, AP's dad said to the photographer "Will you take a picture of my son’s first ride? He might not get many more." AP's win record was 4,358 GB & IRE Jumps winners along with 9 Flat race wins.

Dl7z2jwVsAATD3f.jpg
    A jockey won a race dead in June 1923.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

490369.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Water John

On the matter of toes, Swapna Barman won the Heptathlon in the Asian games recently and she has 6 toes on each foot.She's in pain competing and wants new shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Just like French toes are foot fingers in Irish too.

Méara. And méara coise.

Also , lots of people will say oh the thumb isn't a finger.
    Well then there's no such thing as the middle finger

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

New Home wrote: »
    490369.jpg
    The first part is right, but I think you need ~2,360 grains of desert sand for their atoms to about the same as the number of stars in the observable universe.

(Sand grain weight taken from The Physics of Blown Sand and Desert Dunes by R. A. Bagnold, 2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Did a bee-keeper course recently.....they are fascinating creatures.

The queen is not the boss. She is a bee producing living factory . She mates for 1 day in her life and stores the sperm and uses it to fertilize an egg. Perhaps 100 thousand in course of her life.

Bees dont mind the cold. They can heat up the colony by vibrating. They can cool it down by standing by entrance and fanning their wings to bring cool air in. They keep colony temperature within a degree of 37.5 (human body temp).

Scout bees find good food sources, and fly back and tell the rest of the colony so they can go directly there (saves energy). They tell the colony direction & distance! The do a "wiggle dance" which is a figure of 8 routine and the centre of the 8 points in the direction of food. Distance? That involves walking in a circle, which means "near" (less than 500m). If there is no circle done after the wiggle dance it means food is far, bring a snack!

If you have a few hives, you cant let one get too strong or too weak. If one becomes too strong it will raid the weak one, killing all bees in it, and steal their honey...in less than a day! Why? Because its easier fly next door and get a years worth of honey instead of flying for miles, if you think you can get away with it!

Bees do see in colour. But its not colour as we know it. They have good high-contrast vision, and bee keepers often paint symbols on the hive. A different one on each box, eg 3 horizontal bars, triangle, daisy, circle, etc. When a bee leaves the hive, she does a quick fly around to see where home is so she can find right hive when she gets back.

Local honey is supposed to be good for allergies (its made from the flowers (pollen) you are allergic to). But all honey made in Ireland is "local". Thats because the plants in Donegal, are largely same as those in Kerry, and Wicklow. The local label applies to very large countries like USA where there is huge difference between plants in Texas, and Florida and Alaska etc.

a bee keeper told me you have to knock on a bee hive before you work on it, they like it when you knock first?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Méara. And méara coise.

Similarly, the words for thumb and inch are the same in some languages (e.g. pollice in Italian) because the thumb was (can still can be) used as the basis for an inch.

Méara. And méara coise.

Ha.....did not know that! Cheers :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

One from Reeling in the Years yesterday -

In 1981, an Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to London was hijacked and forced to land in Paris, to refuel for an onward trip to Iran.

The hijacker's demands? That the Pope reveal the Third Secret of Fatima.

Here's the relevant clip; I love the almost contemptuous look on Reynolds' face when the English journalist asks "What on earth is that?"

What a wonderfully Irish hijacking.

(Can't work out how to embed it for some reason...)

I love physics. But I am not great at it (btw, see other thread on that very topic here in AH).

From memory from leaving cert....

Gravity here on Earth is represented in equations as "g" (aka little-g). There is other gravity in the universe too of course. Gravitational attraction between planets, planets & stars, planets & moons, etc. This is called G (aka big-G). There is force between you and the planet (G) but your mass is very small (despite what you see in the mirror). But it is there.

The Earth is spinning (bet you did know that!). So the force it sucks you down with (ie big G) is slightly lessened by the spin effect of planet which is pushing you away...the net effect is little-g. Everyday "gravity". Everything you try and measure on this planet will have gravity of g. Regardless of its mass. The bigger the thing, the more it should be attracted to the planet (big-G), but the spin pushes it away more...so it balances out as little-g. Always. This is why when you drop a penny and a bowling ball from top of leaning tower of Pizza (or whatever Galileo dropped), they hit the ground at same time. Same experiment on the moon gives different results (no spin there).
    Of course, dropping a feather and a coin has different results too. This is because of air resistance on the feather makes it reach Terminal Velocity almost instantly. See much earlier post about sky divers. If you like, check out the feather drop in a vacuum on YouTube....weird to see feather fall like a stone!

Méara. And méara coise.

I guess faddas dont cut & paste well (for me)!!

Reminds me of point made in early days of text messages. Txt was fast & cheap partially because coding & transmitting basic ASCII (a to z, zero to 9 etc) was easy. Then you put in a letter like á or ç..... Story was that each non standard character had to be sent as an entirely separate text and reassembled into the word when it arrived. All automatically and un-noticed by the sender or receiver..... except sender was charged for 2 txt's!! Dont know if its (still) true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

When King Charles II of Spain died, a postmortem revealed he had absolutely no blood in his body and his heart was very tiny.

That's generations of inbreeding for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

Reminds me of point made in early days of text messages. Txt was fast & cheap partially because coding & transmitting basic ASCII (a to z, zero to 9 etc) was easy. Then you put in a letter like á or ç..... Story was that each non standard character had to be sent as an entirely separate text and reassembled into the word when it arrived. All automatically and un-noticed by the sender or receiver..... except sender was charged for 2 txt's!! [...]

Interestingly, all the letters of Greek alphabet went through normally, just like basic characters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fourier wrote: »

(Sand grain weight taken from The Physics of Blown Sand and Desert Dunes by R. A. Bagnold, 2012)
    Great book, couldn't put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Great book, couldn't put it down.

Personally I thought of it was a bit rough and grity ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Méara. And méara coise.

Also , lots of people will say oh the thumb isn't a finger.
    Well then there's no such thing as the middle finger

I’ve been using the word barraicini for toes in school! I’m praying I didn’t make that up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Infernum wrote: »
    When King Charles II of Spain died, a postmortem revealed he had absolutely no blood in his body and his heart was very tiny.

That's generations of inbreeding for ya.

Google his picture, that wasn't the only thing wrong with him. The massive amount of inbreeding meant that he was incapable of producing an heir. And so because of the massive amounts of inbreeding, it was nigh on impossible to decide on who was entitled to the throne of Spain, thus leading to the War of Spanish Succession. This war lasted 13 years, caused much death and destruction and changed the face of Europe (and one could argue, of European colonies forever).

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Tá mé ar mo bharraicíní " would be "I'm on my tiptoes". Ladhar is another word for toe (sounds like the word liar in English), the plural is laidhre.
    The five digits on your hand are called ordóg, sínteog, méar fhada, fáinneog, lúideog - thumb, stretcher/ signer, long finger, ring finger, tiddler (níos lú = smaller).

71400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

New Home wrote: »
    71400.jpg

I know it's not uncommon for sets to be recycled, but that's still pretty mind-blowing considering those shows were my childhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Infernum wrote: »
    I know it's not uncommon for sets to be recycled, but that's still pretty mind-blowing considering those shows were my childhood.

Colonial Street is the set that comes to mind for me. Best known as Wisteria Lane, it's been used for many films, series and music videos.
    https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Street&ved=2ahUKEwjh8Prm0ZzdAhUSQRoKHTUcC6MQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3Y54apR--_Ys6-zkfA2RCA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

3BF34CD200000578-4099062-image-a-26_1483881291734.jpg

This symbol , the green dot , doesn't mean that the packaging it is found on can be recycled will be recycled or is recycleable , it just means that the company who make it pay into a fund to recycle other stuff that can be recycled.

It's often confused with this symbol which means the item it is found on is widely recycled and is recyclable.

recycling-symbol-icon-outline-solid-light-blue.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement