Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pekitivey wrote: »
    Sellotape is a brand name, as is Hoover and Perspex, Tippex and loads more.

There are a whole load of these. The most surprising to me are:

Fiberglass
    Dumpster
    Jet Ski
    Vaseline
    Bubble Wrap
    Chapstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pekitivey

Fiberglass
    Dumpster
    Jet Ski
    Vaseline
    Bubble Wrap
    Chapstick.

Dumpster? Well I can go home today and tell my family that today, I truly have learned something new! LOL :p:pac:

Jacuzzi
    Crock-pot
    Jeep
    Bubble Wrap
    Jello
    Jet Ski

Also brand names used as generic names. Bubble Wrap is the one that surprised me most.

ETA Just noticed Bubble Wrap mentioned above, which I managed to not see. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

On pizza, there's a pizzeria on the Pitcairn Islands - population 50, all descended from the Mutiny on the Bounty.

It's called Andy's Pizzeria, and Google gives the address as "Unnamed Road, PCRN 1ZZ, Pitcairn Islands"

The effects of globalisation... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Candie wrote: »
    Jacuzzi
    Crock-pot
    Jeep
    Bubble Wrap
    Jello
    Jet Ski

Also brand names used as generic names. Bubble Wrap is the one that surprised me most.

ETA Just noticed Bubble Wrap mentioned above, which I managed to not see. :)

Fiberglass
    Dumpster
    Jet Ski
    Vaseline
    Bubble Wrap
    Chapstick.

What are the generic names?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Vaseline is paraffin.
    Bubble wrap is Pluriball (unless that's also a brand name)
    Jello is gelatine
    Crock pot (I think) is ceramic pot
    Jacuzzi is the surname of the man who invented the thing, which is a hydrotherapy bath tub.
    Chapstick is lip balm.

The rest I'm not sure.

Blu-tack is also a brand name, but you probably knew that already.

Fiberglass Glass Wool
    Dumpster Front Loader Waste Container
    Jet Ski Personal Watercraft
    Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
    Bubble Wrap Inflated Cushioning
    Chapstick. Lip Balm

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pekitivey

The brand names listed are the generic names. For example even tho you don't know the brand of sticky tape you used to wrap a present, you still refereed to it as sellotape.

New Home wrote: »
    Vaseline is paraffin.
    Bubble wrap is Pluriball (unless that's also a brand name)
    Jello is gelatine
    Crock pot (I think) is ceramic pot
    Jacuzzi is the surname of the man who invented the thing.

The rest I'm not sure.

Blu-tack is also a brand name, but you probably knew that already.

Pluribal is the italian trademark name i think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

pekitivey wrote: »
    The brand names listed are the generic names. For example even tho you don't know the brand of sticky tape you used to wrap a present, you still refereed to it as sellotape.

Or as scotch tape, for the same reason (Scotch being the other big brand that makes the same product). Blue Peter and Art Attack and other similar programmes refer to it as sticky tape or sticky back tape.

EDIT: Or adhesive tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Vaseline is paraffin petroleum jelly.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Teflon is a trademark for PTFE (polytetraflouroethylene).
    The non sticky white tape that stops plumbing fittings from leaking is basically same stuff than stops your fried eggs sticking to the pan.

And Jeep is often used as a catch all for any four wheel drive vehicle. Jello is a brand of fruit jelly, used to describe jelly of any brand in the US.

Quazzie wrote: »
    FYP

Is paraffin also a brand name?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Is paraffin also a brand name?
    Seems not: https://www.etymonline.com/word/paraffin

I have a bottle of "Liquid Paraffin" that I bought in the chemist's that reads "Oil of vaseline" underneath (small v). Go figure. Maybe that's only correct for the liquid form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Actually there are a number of various products which share the name - kerosene fuel for example is also known as paraffin

cdeb wrote: »
    On pizza, there's a pizzeria on the Pitcairn Islands - population 50, all descended from the Mutiny on the Bounty.

It's called Andy's Pizzeria, and Google gives the address as "Unnamed Road, PCRN 1ZZ, Pitcairn Islands"

Even Starbucks and McDonald's haven't made it that far! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have a bottle of "Liquid Paraffin" that I bought in the chemist's that reads "Oil of vaseline" underneath (small v). Go figure. Maybe that's only correct for the liquid form.

Vaseline is purely a trade name owned by Unilever; from the German for water and Greek for oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Candie wrote: »
    And Jeep is often used as a catch all for any four wheel drive vehicle. Jello is a brand of fruit jelly, used to describe jelly of any brand in the US.
    Actually according to the excellent documentary "America the story of the US", Jeep is derived from the army name for a general purpose vehicle, I.e. GP or Jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Liquid Parafin is a traditional oral remedy for constipation

Vaseline isn't :D

gozunda wrote: »
    Liquid Parafin is a traditional oral remedy for constipation

Vaseline isn't :D

Try it and let us know how you get on. :D

cdeb wrote: »

Still on this... where do they get the mozzarella from?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

PTFE also used in ball seals, low friction co-efficient. Really good impact shock absorber.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Dublin fire brigade have so far this year answered over 100,500 medical calls with only 12 ambulances with Halloween and Christmas still to come

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Heard this on Kermode and Mayo podcast last week.

Bovril, the first part of the product's name comes from Latin bovīnus, meaning ox.

The -vril suffix comes from Edward Bulwer-Lytton's The Coming Race (1870), whose plot revolves around a superior race of people, the Vril-ya, who derive their powers from an electromagnetic substance named "Vril". Therefore, Bovril indicates great strength obtained from an ox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Heard this on Kermode and Mayo podcast last week.

Bovril, the first part of the product's name comes from Latin bovīnus, meaning ox.

The -vril suffix comes from Edward Bulwer-Lytton's The Coming Race (1870), whose plot revolves around a superior race of people, the Vril-ya, who derive their powers from an electromagnetic substance named "Vril". Therefore, Bovril indicates great strength obtained from an ox.

That's another Unilever product, along with Hellman's, Knorr, Ben & Jerry's, Lipton, Magnum, Carte D'Or...…...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dublin fire brigade have so far this year answered over 100,500 medical calls with only 12 ambulances with Halloween and Christmas still to come

Only 12 Ambulances for the whole of Dublin? :eek:

That'd be close on 30 calls each / day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Only 12 Ambulances for the whole of Dublin? :eek:

I didn't know that the fire brigade provide an ambulance service???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement