Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Addle wrote: »
    I didn't know that the fire brigade provide an ambulance service???

They do in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

I'm aware that firemen are also trained paramedics, a fireman could be fighting a fire one day and delivering a baby the next. But does anyone know is this all firemen or just the ones in Dublin?

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Actually according to the excellent documentary "America the story of the US", Jeep is derived from the army name for a general purpose vehicle, I.e. GP or Jeep

Its also the brand name of a vehicle manufacturer so I guess it's gone from acronym to brand to generic term. It might be derived from the army shorthand, but it's used as a catch all for 4 wheel drives by many.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

VandC wrote: »
    I'm aware that firemen are also trained paramedics, a fireman could be fighting a fire one day and delivering a baby the next. But does anyone know is this all firemen or just the ones in Dublin?

All firefighter in Dublin are either paramedics or advanced paramedics.

Yes there's only 12 Dfb ambulances but the Nas also have ambulances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Heard this on Kermode and Mayo podcast last week.

Bovril, the first part of the product's name comes from Latin bovīnus, meaning ox.

The -vril suffix comes from Edward Bulwer-Lytton's The Coming Race (1870), whose plot revolves around a superior race of people, the Vril-ya, who derive their powers from an electromagnetic substance named "Vril". Therefore, Bovril indicates great strength obtained from an ox.

Talking of the Vrill ...

The existence of a Vril Society in Nazi Germany was alleged in 1960 by Jacques Bergier and Louis Pauwels. In their book The Morning of the Magicians, they claimed that the Vril Society was a secret community of occultists in pre-Nazi Berlin that was a sort of inner circle of the Thule Society. They also thought that it was in close contact with the English group known as the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. 

Unfortunately this piece of fiction has morphed into a colourful internet myth with various websites and some rather hillarious Youtube videos promoting the 'veracity' of the society and its adherents

Various websites detail that a woman named Maria Orsic was a medium and the leader of the Vril Socciety. Supposedly this Vril Society was established after Orsic received communication from extraterrestrials who had once lived in what is now Sumeria. It is also alleged thst Hitler and the Nazi high command met up with the society to discuss esoteric matters or otherwise ...

The stories detail that the Vrill Society members were attractive young women who grew their hair all the way down past their hips, which was uncharacteristic of the times. The logic for growing their hair to such an extravagant length centered around their belief that human hair acts as an antenna to make contact with extraterrestrials!

If you are seriousley bored and want to have a laugh check out what's been put up on Youtube about this fictional society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

All firefighter in Dublin are either paramedics or advanced paramedics.

Would there be any reason why they've never tried to implement this outside Dublin? Seems like itd be an invaluable resource

On the subject of Jeeps (or GPs), Jeep Butt or Jeep Disease was a condition that put about seventy thousand soldiers in hospital during the course of second world war.

Long bumpy rides over pocked terrain puts pressure on the coccyx area, and that in combination with sweaty butts and lack of regular hygiene meant perfect conditions for boils and philonidal cysts - painful, swollen, pus-filled, infected hair follicles that needed to be drained and kept dressed and clean to heal - which sometimes took weeks, and that meant staying in hospitals and or nursing facilities.

Something to think about next time you hit a speed bump.

368100 wrote: »
    Would there be any reason why they've never tried to implement this outside Dublin? Seems like itd be an invaluable resource

Outside of Dublin and Waterford many brigades are retained firefighter so the response times would be a problem. There are argument for and against dual role ems services

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The worlds best camera has 200 megapixels, but if your eyes were a camera they would have 576 megapixels.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Try it and let us know how you get on. :D

So if you bought a bottle of liquid parafin - What was it used for? :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

gozunda wrote: »

This will explain.

I never said it was for my personal use
    :pac:

This will explain.

I never said it was for my personal use
    :pac:

Go on ... :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Go on ... :D

No, you go on, I've already been. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

To follow on from the brand names that have fallen into common day use, some of the surprising ones I've found are superglue, velcro, escalator and of course heroin!

mzungu wrote: »
    The worlds best camera has 200 megapixels, but if your eyes were a camera they would have 576 megapixels.

Canon have a 250 megapixel for astronomy and surveillance use.

Then there's the 570-megapixel Dark Energy Camera located on a mountain in Chile.

No, you go on, I've already been. :pac::pac::pac:

I don't need to! :D

Canon have a 250 megapixel for astronomy and surveillance use.

Then there's the 570-megapixel Dark Energy Camera located on a mountain in Chile.

Does that mean that, in theory, Dark Energy could be seen with the naked eye, having 6megapixels more?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Still on this... where do they get the mozzarella from?!?

As a small tropical pacific island, They just make do with sardines and pineapple on their pizzas

Does that mean that, in theory, Dark Energy could be seen with the naked eye, having 6megapixels more?

It's used to observe and record hundreds of millions of galaxies, to allow the DES - Dark Energy Survey - carry out it's study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

368100 wrote: »

Doctor I know said DFB are appalling as paramedics in his experience working in hospitals. Patients outside Dublin are getting better pre hospital care as fire brigade not involved. Makes sense not as skilled as only doing paramedic job half the time. Would go so far to say they putting patients at risk.

In all seriousness: it's used to lots of things, including for skin care. However, among other things, it's used in wine-making in general to soften the corks and to give them extra elasticity, and in wine-making for domestic use only, directly onto the wine, to create a barrier against oxygen.

It's used to observe and record hundreds of millions of galaxies, to allow the DES - Dark Energy Survey - carry out it's study.

There I go, showing my ignorance yet again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The last time all living humans were on earth was November 2nd 2000. Ever since this date the International Space Station has been continuously occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What about the one million who are in the air at any one time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Pop punk band Jimmy Eat World and cello-metal band Apocalyptica were originally Metallica tribute bands.

Water John wrote: »
    What about the one million who are in the air at any one time?

Still on planet earth so they count! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

Caledonia wrote: »
    Doctor I know said DFB are appalling as paramedics in his experience working in hospitals. Patients outside Dublin are getting better pre hospital care as fire brigade not involved. Makes sense not as skilled as only doing paramedic job half the time. Would go so far to say they putting patients at risk.

That is some accusation you are putting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Metallica and AC/DC are the longest-running acts without a Greatest Hits / Best Of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    The last time all living humans were on earth was November 2nd 2000. Ever since this date the International Space Station has been continuously occupied.
    The Russians have had at least one Space Station in orbit since 29 September 1977.

Mir was occupied from
    4 April–16 June 2000
    September 1989 – 28 August 1999
    5 February 1987 – 27 April 1989
    12 March–16 July 1986

When the US stop funding the ISS the Russian plan is to undock their section and keep on trucking.

• Advertisement

In 1984 Caroll Spinney (Big Bird from Sesame Street) was contacted by NASA to ask if he would be willing to join a mission to orbit the earth as Big Bird, to encourage children to get interested in space. As it would happen, after back and forth conversations between NASA and Sesame Street bigwigs, the plan never got approval and the position was taken by a school teacher Christa McAuliffe (as part of the Teacher in Space Project), who went through months of training to go into space.

Unfortunately, the story has a tragic ending. On January 28th 1986 the Space Shuttle Challenger broke apart after 73 seconds into its mission killing all seven people on board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement