Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yes there's only 12 Dfb ambulances but the Nas also have ambulances

And that's not counting the private services. However the private services don't respond to emergencies, they just transport patients.

If I remember correctly there's actually two dispatch teams for Dublin ambulances. One for the fire brigade and one for the HSE. However they're both in the same room.

here's a HSE ambulance
    image.jpg

And here's the Fire brigade one.
    2015-09-24_new_13127223_I1.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Metallica and AC/DC are the longest-running acts without a Greatest Hits / Best Of.
    I actually have an AC/DC greatest hits compilation. It's a double CD called Hell's Hits. The blurb on the inside is in Russian. Which sounds legit...

Good compilation though. You can get it on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Hells-Hits-AC-DC/dp/B01H7Y8DX2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mzungu wrote: »
    The last time all living humans were on earth was November 2nd 2000. Ever since this date the International Space Station has been continuously occupied.

That reminds me of this picture;

apollo11_lm_michaelcollins.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Michael Collins, the astronaut who took this photo, is the only human, alive or dead that isn't in the frame of this picture, 1969

Collins took this picture of the Lunar Module, containing Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong with Earth in the background, during the Apollo 11 mission. This makes him the only person ever to have lived who was not inside the frame of the photo. Matter cannot be created or destroyed. That means that every human that lived up to the point of this photo being taken still exists, at least in some form, and every human that has been born since then was also is in this photo, at least in some form. So even if you were born after this picture was taken, the materials you’re made from are still on the frame of this picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

cdeb wrote: »
    I actually have an AC/DC greatest hits compilation. It's a double CD called Hell's Hits. The blurb on the inside is in Russian. Which sounds legit...

Good compilation though. You can get it on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Hells-Hits-AC-DC/dp/B01H7Y8DX2

Amazon have form for selling bootlegs / CDRs / non-legitimate releases.

The Discogs entry for Greatest Hells Hits is pretty conclusive.
    https://www.discogs.com/ACDC-Greatest-Hells-Hits/release/2124493

Unofficial release and blocked from sale in their marketplace.

IMHO, the best-sounding AC/DC is the original 1989 pressing of Volume 1 which contains six blackface Alberts mastered by Disctronics. Since then, the international and US mixes have been used on ALL AC/DC pressings worldwide. Botched tracklistings and Frankenstein edits. To put this in context - it would be like if the first half of the Beatles UK catalogue was replaced with the US albums from the 1990s onwards i.e. the original UK mixes and edits lost to older CDs and the original vinyl. That's pretty much where we are at with the original Australian AC/DC albums.

34308265_10160602898085089_2132417263502884864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=1ea5a9377e2546791d1d9e2d46e975c7&oe=5C55030D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The numbers on a roulette wheel add up to 666...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That means that every human that lived up to the point of this photo being taken still exists, at least in some form, and every human that has been born since then was also is in this photo, at least in some form. So even if you were born after this picture was taken, the materials you’re made from are still on the frame of this picture.

No. There is a very small possibility (extremely small indeed but not zero) that you may have in your body at least one atom that was in his body back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Am I right in thinking that the original devil's number was 661, but that got changed to 666 at some point? Any knowledge on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Water John wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the original devil's number was 661, but that got changed to 666 at some point? Any knowledge on that?
    616, I think.

Marvel refer to their main continuity as Earth 616. (This is for labelling parallel universe cross-overs - comic book lore gets stupidly complicated.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

As mikhail said 616.

In some manuscripts of the New Testament it's 616 and in others 666. Some even have "...or 616" with the gap in the text being about the size of 666. So it is possible that Revelations read "616 or 666" back when it was its own work, before being placed into the New Testament and that different editors chose a number when they assembled their copy of the New Testament.

It's one of the signs that the New Testament wasn't made in one place and then copies sent everywhere. Probably it was a list of texts agreed upon and then people made it with their own local copies of those texts, resulting in slight differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

So even if you were born after this picture was taken, the materials you’re made from are still on the frame of this picture.

My Dad's jizz?

Ewww!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

The chances of finding the 8 tile in a standard expert game of minesweeper is roughly 1 in 10,000.

U6t2x6V.png

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

The chances of finding the 8 tile in a standard expert game of minesweeper is roughly 1 in 10,000.

U6t2x6V.png

Have to admit i really understood how that game worked :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Evade

Have to admit i really understood how that game worked :o
    The number tells you how many of the 8 squares around it contain mines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Michael Collins, the astronaut who took this photo, is the only human, alive or dead that isn't in the frame of this picture, 1969

Collins took this picture of the Lunar Module, containing Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong with Earth in the background, during the Apollo 11 mission. This makes him the only person ever to have lived who was not inside the frame of the photo. Matter cannot be created or destroyed. That means that every human that lived up to the point of this photo being taken still exists, at least in some form, and every human that has been born since then was also is in this photo, at least in some form. So even if you were born after this picture was taken, the materials you’re made from are still on the frame of this picture.

You're forgetting all those who have been snatched by aliens for probing! Some of them might not have been back in time for the photo!

We've forgotten Hunter Thompson whose ashes were sent into space. He's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Marty Morrissey isn't in that photo.

The fella who founded Adidas, Adolf Dassler, his brother Rudolf founded Puma. And Adidas now owns Reebok, since 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

We've forgotten Hunter Thompson whose ashes were sent into space. He's out there.
    I expect most of the people whose ashes were sent into space are in that photo. I very much doubt any of them escaped low earth orbit.

mikhail wrote: »
    I expect most of the people whose ashes were sent into space are in that photo. I very much doubt any of them escaped low earth orbit.

The photo is from 1969 so there were no ashes sent into space at the time the picture was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I know they're sterilised but there might be some people molecules on the Pioneer probes etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

Sinead O'Connor needs help

• Advertisement

roroliam wrote: »
    Sinead O'Connor needs help

In fairness, EVERYONE knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The photo is from 1969 so there were no ashes sent into space at the time the picture was taken.

Also Hunter Thompson didn't die until 2005. Also his remains were shot out of a cannon over the mountains behind his house, not into space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

What about Elvis? Wasn't he abducted by rock and roll loving aliens?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Metallica and AC/DC are the longest-running acts without a Greatest Hits / Best Of.
    IMHO, the best-sounding AC/DC is the original 1989 pressing of Volume 1 which contains six blackface Alberts mastered by Disctronics. Since then, the international and US mixes have been used on ALL AC/DC pressings worldwide. Botched tracklistings and Frankenstein edits. To put this in context - it would be like if the first half of the Beatles UK catalogue was replaced with the US albums from the 1990s onwards i.e. the original UK mixes and edits lost to older CDs and the original vinyl. That's pretty much where we are at with the original Australian AC/DC albums

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LoudnessWar/TheWorstOffenders
    Metallica's 2008 album Death Magnetic is so distorted and clipped that even mastering engineer Ted Jensen has criticized it, adding that he couldn't do anything since the preliminary mixes came in already "brick-walled". Interestingly, the version made for Guitar Hero 3 was based on a "rough mix" that features far more range, and those tracks have been subsequently ripped and distributed via peer-to-peer services. To sum up: Metallica, the anti-Napster poster boys, now have an album that can only be truly appreciated via piracy, and a video game featuring a guitar with 5 buttons on the fret-board is the best way to enjoy an album... the irony boggles the mind.

More on the Loudness War here

Poor effort from Johnny Depp.

Poor effort from Johnny Depp.

To be fair it was a pretty impressive contraption, the intention was never to blast him into space, it was just to fire him into the sky. Actually, I'm pretty sure I remember the idea was Thompson's, he had went to talk to a guy about it way back in the 70s, it's in the BBC documentary about him that Ralph Steadman did.

HST-cannon.jpg?resize=600%2C400&ssl=1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

497553.jpg

Non stop laughter...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe that's when people started doubting the expression "Trust me, I'm a doctor!"... :/

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Maybe that's where people started doubting the expression "Trust me, I'm a doctor!"... :/
    As an English PhD I have an alternative theory on that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement