Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

499885.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

So those who live in more enlightened times ~15.5°C in -45.5°C weather

Oatmeal_comic_2.JPG.scaled1000.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1369523633793

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

except me lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Look, all we needed to know was that +60°F > -50°F. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

Ryath wrote: »
    So those who live in more enlightened times ~15.5°C in -45.5°C weather

Oatmeal_comic_2.JPG.scaled1000.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1369523633793

We, of a certain age, also learnt about chains rods and furlongs.
    240 pennies in a punt. Shillings and sixpence and threpney bits also were legal tender. Farthings and half farthings also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

OldRio wrote: »
    240 pennies in a punt. Shillings and sixpence and threpney bits also were legal tender. Farthings and half farthings also.

Not forgetting crowns, half crowns and guineas.

500406.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not forgetting crowns, half crowns and guineas.

I was always under the impression there was a half crown, but no crown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

A crown was 5 bob

It seems you are right. It was the british that had a crown coin and a half crown we only had the half crown.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

It seems you are right. It was the british that had a crown coin and a half crown we only had the half crown.
    And don't forget the Florin with the salmon on it.

Emmersonn wrote: »

I was only a baby when decimalisation occurred so dont remember using the pre-decimal coins. The 10p piece that was introduced with decimalisation was just a copy of the old florin coin with the 2s removed and 10p added in its place. there was still plenty of florin coins around though long after decimalisation, the same with the old shilling coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Emmersonn wrote: »

For many years I assumed Florin was an Irish word, but it was used throughout Great Britain and it originates from Middle English for a Florentine coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

OldRio wrote: »

Is it true the reason we done multiplication tables up to 12 in national school due to 240 being a multiple of 12?

I was only a baby when decimalisation occurred so dont remember using the pre-decimal coins. The 10p piece that was introduced with decimalisation was just a copy of the old florin coin with the 2s removed and 10p added in its place. there was still plenty of florin coins around though long after decimalisation, the same with the old shilling coin.

I came along after decimalisation but I remember that halfpennies would show up in your change and down your couch for a long time, right into the nineties. When I was in primary school the maths books all had new editions where they had basically printed the same sums for learning about money but they just removed all the half-penny parts from them. So anyone who had an older edition in the class would just be told to ignore that, and do the sums without them. Back then they didn't change the books to new editions every year for the craic, of course, but that's a rant for another day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

For many years I assumed Florin was an Irish word, but it was used throughout Great Britain and it originates from Middle English for a Florentine coin.

The currency symbol for the Dutch guilder was fl or hfl. For Florijn.

The reason it was called a guilder or gulden is also after the fiorino d'oro or golden florin.

Gulden means golden so they become golden florins. For some reason only the golden was kept in popular use

I came along after decimalisation but I remember that halfpennies would show up in your change and down your couch for a long time, right into the nineties. When I was in primary school the maths books all had new editions where they had basically printed the same sums for learning about money but they just removed all the half-penny parts from them. So anyone who had an older edition in the class would just be told to ignore that, and do the sums without them. Back then they didn't change the books to new editions every year for the craic, of course, but that's a rant for another day!

their was a decimal halfpenny as well that was in use until the late 80's

their was a decimal halfpenny as well that was in use until the late 80's

Sorry yeah I was a bit confused on that issue, you're right, the halfpenny I'm talking about was post-decimalisation. I hadn't realised it stayed in circulation until 1987. It was another very beautiful coin, with another very elaborate bird design, like the 1p and 2p.

File:Irish_halfpenny_(decimal_coin).png

Today I learned there were once half-pennies.

What about the Ha'penny Bridge? ;) I'd say you just didn't put two and two together. :)

• Advertisement

Two and two is four, NH!

I dunno, I guess I thought that was just a name. Though now I'm thinking about it, I think I knew there were halfpennies somewhere in the back of my mind. I just never gave much thought to it and it seems too ridiculous a denomination to have actually really existed. :)

Candie wrote: »
    Two and two is four, NH!

Wow. I can tells yowe gon to collage! :pac:

Two and two is four, NH!

I dunno, I guess I thought that was just a name. Though now I'm thinking about it, I think I knew there were halfpennies somewhere in the back of my mind. I just never gave much thought to it and it seems too ridiculous a denomination to have actually really existed. :)

I used farthings - two to a half penny!

*head 'spoldes!*

*head 'spoldes!*

A gross of apples costs £1 2s 3¼d, how much would a dozen cost? Standard sums at primary school.

A gross of apples costs £1 2s 3¼d, how much would a dozen cost? Standard sums at primary school.

1s 10¼d approximately. £1 2s 3¼d does not divide evenly by 12. Do i win a prize?

1s 10¼d approximately. £1 2s 3¼d does not divide evenly by 12. Do i win a prize?

Yes, I didn't actually work it out, as it was just an example but a prize wings it's way to you if you did it without a calculator or reverting to decimals.

Yes, I didn't actually work it out, as it was just an example but a prize wings it's way to you if you did it without a calculator or reverting to decimals.

Well i did convert the total to pennies, divided by 12, and then converted back to s and d. in my head of course

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A tiny bit of oil can calm a small section of choppy water!

Oil molecules do not clunk together when put into water, instead they are spread out over a large area to form a layer that is only one molecule thick. The oil molecules flip over on their negatively charged heads and stand on top of the positively charged water particles. This is why the oil spreads out across the waters surface to form a film over it. This means you can calculate the size of a single molecule of oil by doing it.

The wind builds up waves by getting traction on the waters surface and moving it, but the layer of oil molecules on top of the water now acts as a blocker for the winds traction. This will move the layer of oil instead of creating waves.

The video below shows it in action on a lake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

British secret agents have a license to kill.

Well not exactly, it's on a one to one basis and only if his boss first obtains a Class 7 authorisation, agreed by a management board and various operations directors, which is then signed by the Foreign Secretary and reviewed by a judge.

So it's a lot more Harry Palmer than 007.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement