Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    For comparison, the Beatles in the 60's recorded on 8 track tapes.

Sgt Pepper was recorded on a 4 track. They only started using 8 track on the White Album, and then fully on Abbey Road.

So Sgt Pepper, with all it's effects and overdubs, was made using just 4 tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Candie wrote: »
    The first webcam was created in Cambridge University in 1991, so that students could keep an eye on a coffee pot without having to walk down a corridor, or even worse, go to fetch coffee and traumatically find it empty.

Thus proving that necessity truly is the mother of invention.

When set up in 1991 it was just an internally networked camera. Browsers could not display images until 1993 so technically it did not become a webcam until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Winterlong wrote: »
    When set up in 1991 it was just an internally networked camera. Browsers could not display images until 1993 so technically it did not become a webcam until then.

Browers couldn't, but computers could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Sgt Pepper was recorded on a 4 track. They only started using 8 track on the White Album, and then fully on Abbey Road.

So Sgt Pepper, with all it's effects and overdubs, was made using just 4 tracks.

It's just mind boggling the amount of innovation that went on with the Beatles. Compared to Ariana Grande and The Biebs it's insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Was Pet Sounds on a 4 track too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Was Pet Sounds on a 4 track too?

a mixture of 4 track and 8 track. the final overdubbing was done to an 8-track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

In 1965, Elizabeth Taylor used the gents toilet
    In Cusacks pub on the North Strand in Dublin.
    (There was no ladies jacks)
    Her then husband Richard Burton was in the film
    The Spy Who came in from the Cold, parts of
    Which were filmed on North Strand. Presumably she was
    Watching, got caught short and Cusacks was closest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

You should never remove a bullet or gunshot from a person. In most cases, if it's not blocking a vital organ, a surgeon will leave it inside the person as removing it may possibly cause more damage than good. There is no risk of infection as the heat of the bullet leaving the barrel will disinfect any wound.

Whilst a lot of pain from gunshot injuries are caused by internal damage, a considerable amount is caused by the bullet continuing to burn the inside of the wound for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Red Kev wrote: »
    You should never remove a bullet or gunshot from a person. In most cases, if it's not blocking a vital organ, a surgeon will leave it inside the person as removing it may possibly cause more damage than good. There is no risk of infection as the heat of the bullet leaving the barrel will disinfect any wound.

Whilst a lot of pain from gunshot injuries are caused by internal damage, a considerable amount is caused by the bullet continuing to burn the inside of the wound for some time.

They say US President James Garfield would have survived his shooting if doctors hadn't attempted to remove the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They say US President James Garfield would have survived his shooting if doctors hadn't attempted to remove the bullet.

true enough. but it was more due to the massive infection brought on by lack of sterilisation or even basic hand washing that killed him in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Queue the threads in AH of lads trying this now to see if they can survive :pac:

true enough. but it was more due to the massive infection brought on by lack of sterilisation or even basic hand washing that killed him in the end.

His assassin even tried to use this as his defence. Arguing that Garfield died because of medical malpractice not a gunshot wound.

Needless to say that didn't fly too far with the jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Speaking of presidents & assassination, Dr S Mudd treated the injured John Wilkes Booth after he shot Prez Lincoln. I (like many others) thought this gave rise to the phrase "your name will be mud(d)", but a quick google shows the phrase in used before Mudd was born. Live & learn.

Anyone ever hear the story about Edwin Thomas Booth (John's brother) and Robert Lincoln (Abe's son).

I always assumed it was an urban myth but apparently it was true, with both men acknowledging the incident in their lifetimes.
    Edwin Booth saved Abraham Lincoln's son,[14] Robert, from serious injury or even death. The incident occurred on a train platform in Jersey City, New Jersey. The exact date of the incident is uncertain, but it is believed to have taken place in late 1864 or early 1865. Robert Lincoln recalled the incident in a 1909 letter to Richard Watson Gilder, editor of The Century Magazine.

The incident occurred while a group of passengers were late at night purchasing their sleeping car places from the conductor who stood on the station platform at the entrance of the car. The platform was about the height of the car floor, and there was of course a narrow space between the platform and the car body. There was some crowding, and I happened to be pressed by it against the car body while waiting my turn. In this situation the train began to move, and by the motion I was twisted off my feet, and had dropped somewhat, with feet downward, into the open space, and was personally helpless, when my coat collar was vigorously seized and I was quickly pulled up and out to a secure footing on the platform. Upon turning to thank my rescuer I saw it was Edwin Booth, whose face was of course well known to me, and I expressed my gratitude to him, and in doing so, called him by name.

Booth did not know the identity of the man whose life he had saved until some months later, when he received a letter from a friend, Colonel Adam Badeau, who was an officer on the staff of General Ulysses S. Grant. Badeau had heard the story from Robert Lincoln, who had since joined the Union Army and was also serving on Grant's staff. In the letter, Badeau gave his compliments to Booth for the heroic deed. The fact that he had saved the life of Abraham Lincoln's son was said to have been of some comfort to Edwin Booth following his brother's assassination of the president.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Lots of coincidences between Kennedy and Lincoln assassination.

Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth. Kennedy was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald.
    Both presidents' last names have 7 letters.
    Both assassins' full names have 15 letters.
    Each assassin committed his crime in the place where he worked.
    After shooting Lincoln, Booth ran from a theatre to a warehouse; after shooting Kennedy, Oswald ran from a warehouse to a theatre.
    Both assassins died in the same month as their victim in a state adjacent to the state of their birth.

See Wikipedia for full article. Lots of other coincidences, but some are not 100% and others stretch the word coincidence'.

This is the photo of Lee Harvey Oswald being charged with shooting JFK. Circled on the left is Jack Ruby. More interestingly, on the right is later BBC DJ John Peel.

EhC0Bw8.jpg

Better pics here: http://tomathon.tumblr.com/post/98907746894/did-you-know-dj-john-peel-was-in-dallas-the-day

He was living in Dallas at the time and his interesting account of meeting JFK during the campaign in 1960 and the aftermath of the assassination is below.
    In 1960, John Peel went to the United States to work for a cotton producer who had business dealings with his father, and stayed till 1967. While in Dallas he spoke to John F. Kennedy as the Presidential candidate and Lyndon B. Johnson toured the city during the 1960 election campaign.

"In 1960, when I first arrived in Dallas, well I hadn't been there very long and there was the election. And they had the parades on consecutive days and their car came to a complete standstill. So I ran out and shook hands with him and said something like "good luck Mr Kennedy" and he said, and it does sound so implausible, I'm almost embarrassed to tell you, cause people think "oh, come on!" But he said something like "you're from England aren't you?" And I said "yes", and he said "what are you doing here?" So I said "well I just came over for a few months to learn about the cotton industry". So we had a bit of a chat, and, you know, I didn't know whether it was a couple of minutes or a thirty seconds or whatever". For a politician I'd have thought this is probably unique. I mean he talked about me, rather than himself. Cause he seemed genuinely interested in what I was doing for a short period of time. So obviously after that I wanted him to win the election so I could say "well there's my mate John, he's The President of The United States now."

Following Kennedy's assassination he passed himself off as a reporter for the Liverpool Echo in order to attend the arraignment of Lee Harvey Oswald and he and a friend can be seen in the footage of the press conference shortly before Oswald's assassination. He later phoned in the story to the Liverpool Echo.

"I was at work at the Republic Life National Insurance company in North Central Expressway, Dallas, when it was announced over the PA that The President had been shot, and the initial response of my co-workers was one of some jubilation. There clapping to be heard and people shouting, cause he was not a popular man of course in Texas, cause he threatened the oil revenues on which the state appeared to float. And I know the reaction in my high school in which my girlfriend was in theory studying at the time was very similar. It was announced their by the headmaster or whatever they called them and cheering broke out fairly generally.
    So I ran out into the car park and ran into my car and drove into downtown Dallas. I parked up somewhere and approached the Police cordon and I told them I was from The Liverpool Echo. Which obviously I wasn't and didn't have any kind of press pass or anything at all. But just cause I had an English accent, they assumed I must be telling the truth, rather touchingly. And so I went through the cordon and went in and had a look, see what was going on down by the famous grassy knoll etc."
    When Lee Harvey Oswald was introduced to the press, pretend Liverpool Echo reporter, John Peel, was there.

"They brought Lee Harvey Oswald in, and I suppose he was five/six feet away from me, and either he didn't know what was going on or he was a very good actor. I mean he just looked like "come on guys, this has gone too far you know. Is this a joke or what?". And he had a big bruise on his cheek I remember. And I was standing over there watching him, and Henry Wade said something like "this is the man that's been charged with the assassination of President Kennedy", and general excitement and then he was lead away again. And, as I say, I've told this story so many times that I didn't really believe it myself. But then I was around at Andy Kershaw's a couple of years ago, and he'd got one of these TV documentaries about it, and they were showing this film of the whole proceedings. I mean they'd put the film on to demonstrate the fact that Jack Ruby was in the room as well , which I hadn't known till I'd seen this film. But in the last few frames there's me and my mate Bob standing there just watching. So it was true, and I was rather startled to be honest to see the truth of it demonstrated."

John Peel died whilst writing his autobiography "Margrave of the Marshes" and it was finished by his wife and kids. Well worth a read, even if you're not iinto music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There is a fun little movie connection between Spectre and Inglorious Bastards:

In Spectre, when Christophe Waltz first meets Lea Seydoux in the asteroid room he says "I once visited your house to talk to your father". That is exactly what happened at the start of Inglorious Bastards. Lea had a tiny role as one of the farmer's daughters.

Was quite proud of myself in the cinema when I realized that :o

Between 1908 and 1940, American retail giant Sears sold over 70 thousand kit homes via mail order, in over 400 styles. Everything from tiny cabin style homes to full size four bed family homes with wraparound porches.

Some of these homes were the earliest to allow for conveniences like central heating and plumbing, and many of them stand to this day and are rather sought after. Everything would be delivered ready to fit, the staircases already assembled and every last nail would be included in the delivery.

23sears-elsmore.jpg

There are Sears homes enthusiasts all over the USA, who catalog and photograph those still standing, in the manner of trainspotters. :)

Not an ideal choice for someone who struggles with assembling an Ikea chair, I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Infection is usually caused by pieces of clothing forced into the wound by the bullet.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Esel wrote: »
    Infection is usually caused by pieces of clothing forced into the wound by the bullet.

Actually remember reading that in the famous (or infamous) SAS Survival Handbook* that was featured on the Late Late and Gay Byrne radio show.

*Which was bigger than most Leaving Cert Physics books at the time. So much for "Handbook"!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

If your grandparents bought ONE share in the Coca Cola company prior to the first stock split in 1927 as an investment.

That Coke stock would be worth $383,938 today.
    The dividend would this year will be $12,900

If the dividend had been reinvested, then a a single $40 share purchased in 1919 would be worth $9.8 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Having survived one of mankind's greatest challenges - their spacecraft being critically damaged by an oxygen tank explosion as they approached lunar orbit - the crew of Apollo 13 visited Ireland as part of a European tour that celebrated their safe return. The tour included motorcade parades through Dublin Cork and Limerick, in October 1970.

Another space fact - For today's younger generation of 16 years old, there have been people living in space during every day of your life - aboard the International Space Station. It has been continuously occupied since Nov 2nd 2000.

Louise Fletcher who played the psychotic Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest gave her Oscar acceptance speech in sign language.

Go to 2:00 in.

It was her first time acting in 13 years.

Nurse-Ratched-louise-fletcher-600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

The Titanic had four smoke funnels, only three worked. The fourth
    Was added for aesthetic purposes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Another space fact - For today's younger generation of 16 years old, there have been people living in space during every day of your life - aboard the International Space Station. It has been continuously occupied since Nov 2nd 2000.
    Mir was continuously occupied between 5 September 1989 – 28 August 1999 and was visited again between 6 April and 5 June 2000. There were multiple manned missions to the ISS and Hubble during this time.

1989 was 28 years ago.

28 years before that Yuri Gagarin was going "Let's go!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

If there are 23 people in a room there is a 50-50 chance that two of them will share a birthday

Cartouche wrote: »
    If there are 23 people in a room there is a 50-50 chance that two of them will share a birthday

Day/month only :)

Not your ornery onager

FanadMan wrote: »
    Actually remember reading that in the famous (or infamous) SAS Survival Handbook* that was featured on the Late Late and Gay Byrne radio show.

*Which was bigger than most Leaving Cert Physics books at the time. So much for "Handbook"!!!

It might even stop a bullet! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

12+1 = 11+2, and "twelve plus one" is an anagram of "eleven plus two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

23rdians are a group of people who subscribe to the mystical power of 23 and see it in multiple combinations throughout daily life.

Twenty three is the lowest prime that consists of consecutive digits, The sum of the first 23 primes is 874, which is divisible by 23.

The Earth is inclined on it's orbital plane by 23 degrees

Each parent contributes 23 chromosomes to the start of human life.

The average human physical biorhythm is 23 days

The 23rd letter of the alphabet (W) has 2 points down and 3 up = 23.

The September 11 attacks occurred on 9/11/2001, 9 + 11 + 2 + 1 = 23

The Number 23, is the 23rd Movie directed by Joel Schumacher. It was also released in the US on February 23, 2017

This post was written today at 23:23 and posted shortly after.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement