Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What happens when they meet in the middle? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

How about North and South seeking bacteria ?

In the Northern hemisphere there are bacteria that head south.

And in the Southern hemisphere similar species head north.
    New Home wrote: »
    What happens when they meet in the middle? :eek:

You know what happens when matter meets anti matter? Mutual annihilation and energy release.

Well. It’s nothing like that.

There's a really interesting science programme on RTÉ 1 this minute - 10 Things to Know About.

A farmer/farm contractor is being interviewed and he owns Claas combine harvesters. He's saying all his combines are operated by satellites from space with no humans and they're not your run-of-the-mill technology you find in cars. These ones determine crop intake and every other aspect of the harvesting and the owner sits in a room and monitors everything. There's a Teagasc man on now and it seems tractors are going the same way. According to the presenter, 'Satellite technology allows farmers to manage their fields in an extremely precise way using global positioning systems that are much more accurate than the sat-nav devices we use in our cars and mobile phones.'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AFAIK there are 3 levels of Sat accuracy. The base one is free and you pay for the higher grade ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

How about North and South seeking bacteria ?

Mental!

What happens if you take a southerner and bring him to the north? Does he head further north or does he say "Screw this, the norths not all it's cracked up to be, I'm going back":pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Item on the news last night that Orcas (killer whales) were spotted off the coast of Dublin.

image.jpg

In the wild they can travel up to 100km per day and in once instance when they were tracked they travelled nonstop for 42 days, covering 9,400km between Brazil and the Antarctic Peninsula.

Did you know that there are no recorded cases of Orcas attacking humans in the wild, the only attacks that have occurred have been in captivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

mzungu wrote: »
    Item on the news last night that Orcas (killer whales) were spotted off the coast of Dublin.

In the wild they can travel up to 100km per day and in once instance when they were tracked they travelled nonstop for 42 days, covering 9,400km between Brazil and the Antarctic Peninsula.

Did you know that there are no recorded cases of Orcas attacking humans in the wild, the only attacks that have occurred have been in captivity.

Dead men tell no tales

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gozunda wrote: »
    Hide the Pain Harold - Meme

Hide the Pain Harold's real name is Arató András
    The story of Arató's internet fame goes back seven years to 2010, when the Hungarian engineer went on holiday to Turkey.

"I took some selfies, as anyone might," he tells me. "At that time there was no Facebook [in a major way], but there was a Hungarian community site I uploaded them to.

"A photographer seeking someone who looked like me found me and asked if I wanted to be his model."

Asked about his moniker- he says that "I don't think there is a pain inside me," he says serenely. "I think I'm rather a happy guy than a sad one."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/interviews/hide-the-pain-harold-meme-gif-interview-model-real-name-arato-andras-thumbs-up-stock-photo-a7835076.html

This reminded me of the story of the Ermahgerd girl:
    https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/10/ermahgerd-girl-true-story

there's probably a whole thread we could do on "people from memes"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

501597.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

501597.jpg

Isnt that what Scotty invented in Star Trek IV: The voyage home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Evade

501597.jpg
    Invented by a mysterious Scot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I got the flu-vaccination a few weeks ago (first timer!) and took opportunity to ask a few questions. One on my mind was "is this a vaccination against last years flu?" And nurse said "yes, sort of.... its based on last years Southern Hemisphere flu, which tends to work its way north the following year"

And now its been confirmed by a Boardsie.... Must be true....

So, does that mean that we get the same strain every other year? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

So, does that mean that we get the same strain every other year? ;)

There are dozens of variations of the flu. The vaccination covers the top 3. Those, and the others mutate, move to the other hemisphere, a new top 3 form, mutate again (or vice versa) and migrate again. So, its not the same few every other year, but scientists are not starting from scratch either.

....or else its magic / quantum / aliens (delete as applicable)

:-)

501452.jpg

In English, there's no A, B, C or D in the spelling of any number from 0 to 99.
    In English, there's no A, B or C in the spelling of any number from 0 to 999.
    In English, there's no B or C in the spelling of any number from 0 to 999,999,999.
    In English, there's no C in the spelling of any number.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

"Four score and seven" years ago ...

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    "Four score and ten" years ago ...

Damn you, Ted! :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Evade

Centillion, one followed by 303 zeroes.

EDIT: Centillion is also the biggest number with the -illion suffix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

One and a Half ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The First Chipper in Ireland ..

Sometime in the 1880s, when an Italian, Giuseppe Cervi, stepped off an American-bound boat that had stopped in Cobh and kept walking until he reached Dublin.

There, he worked as a labourer until he earned enough money to buy a coal-fired cooker and a hand-cart, from which he sold chips outside pubs.

Soon after, he found a permanent spot on Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street), where his wife Palma would ask customers

‘Uno di questo, uno di quello?’, meaning ‘one of this and one of the other?’

In doing so, Palma helped to coin a Dublin phrase, ‘one and one’, which is still a common way of asking for fish and chips.

The shop, meanwhile, had launched an industry.

MMMMmmmmmmmmChips

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Ok, ok, my sources weren't reliable. Let me fix that:

In English, there's no A, B, C or D in the spelling of any whole number from 0 to 99. (No fractions)
    In English, there's no A, B or C in the spelling of any whole number from 0 to 999. (No fractions)
    In English, there's no B or C in the spelling of any whole number from 0 to 999,999,999.
    In English, there's no C in the spelling of any whole number up to Centillion.

"and" doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

In English, there's no A, B or C in the spelling of any number from 0 to 999.
    In English, there's no B or C in the spelling of any number from 0 to 999,999,999.

what about a score that gas a c in it?

Rubecula wrote: »
    what about a score that gas a c in it?

Too slow, Rube, Ted already got there, and got told off for his troubles. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

me slow? naah I do not believe that lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Water John wrote: »
    AFAIK there are 3 levels of Sat accuracy. The base one is free and you pay for the higher grade ones.
    There's civilian GPS and there's military GPS which runs at a higher frequency which means a shorter wavelength so it's more accurate.

Back in the past civilian GPS was only accurate to +/- 100m , and +/- 300m in altitude to prevent it being used by the evil soviet empire for nuking the free world. ( Air bursts cause more damage and less fallout than at ground level )

But even then you could cheat by using differential GPS , have one receiver at a known location and measure the difference between it and the one you want. S GPS has always been 10cm +/1 1cm per kilometre for anyone prepared to do some setup.

The EU has it's own GPS system. (As do China and Russia , other countries like Japan and India have regional systems.) And all so their military can operate if the US turns off their GPS.

The UK insisted that the EU high accuracy fixes were only available to EU member states. This will cost them £5Bn if they want to develop their own GPS system.

But they have recently developed new tech that will allow way better inertial positioning so maybe they won't need it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    I only discovered a few years ago that Germany bombed the Republic of Ireland several times during World War Two.......

The German army also carpeted the perimeter of Ireland with sea mines. These were anchored to the sea but frequently broke loose and washed ashore. They turned up in wexford, cork, all along the West coast all the way up to donegal. The irish army were frequently dispatched to detonate them.

There were also some tragedies - off the coast of Galway three fishermen ran into one and the only remains which were found were a headless, armless torso that washed up a few days later.

The worst tragedy occurred in Donegal in 1943. A mine washed up and the locals kept their distance at first, but eventually thought it must have been inert and decided to pull it ashore with ropes. The thing exploded killing 19 people aged between 14 and 34, including 3 brothers. The explosion damaged 40 nearby houses and could be heard 40 miles away in letterkenny. A gruesome scene unfolded on the beach by all accounts.
    Bit more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballymanus_mine_disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jessie Belle

Apollo 13 nearly crashed on take off but a second malfunction fixed the first malfunction.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

transparent aluminium
    Air is comprised of mostly Nitrogen and Oxygen. ( almost all the rest is Argon and its only 1% )

With both Oxygen and Nitrogen as above you get transparent Aluminium.

With Nitrogen you get Aluminum Nitride which has uses in optoelectronic.

With just oxygen you get Aluminium Oxide.
    It's the stuff that dulls aluminium windows.
    It's not worth much in a reasonably pure state where it's used as the active ingredient of sandpaper.

It's worth a bit if it's very pure as glass for iphones and stuff.

But if Aluminium Oxide has impurities that discolour it then it's very valuable
    Tiny amounts of impurities and your sandpaper could be a Ruby or a Sapphire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Lon.C

A lot of Asian people think that westerners eat sandwiches all the time.
    They also think we smell of milk as they are mostly lactose intolerant as adults
    and find it funny that we drink milk as it's only for babies in Asia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement