Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The German army also carpeted the perimeter of Ireland with sea mines. These were anchored to the sea but frequently broke loose and washed ashore. They turned up in wexford, cork, all along the West coast all the way up to donegal. The irish army were frequently dispatched to detonate them.

There were also some tragedies - off the coast of Galway three fishermen ran into one and the only remains which were found were a headless, armless torso that washed up a few days later.

The worst tragedy occurred in Donegal in 1943. A mine washed up and the locals kept their distance at first, but eventually thought it must have been inert and decided to pull it ashore with ropes. The thing exploded killing 19 people aged between 14 and 34, including 3 brothers. The explosion damaged 40 nearby houses and could be heard 40 miles away in letterkenny. A gruesome scene unfolded on the beach by all accounts.
    Bit more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballymanus_mine_disaster
    Another wartime mine washed ashore in Antrim last year! I'd say there are still loads of them about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Lionel Royce (known also during his European career as Leo Reuss) was an Austrian-American actor of stage and screen. He began his career in theater in Vienna, Austria in 1919, before moving to Berlin in 1925. Being Jewish, his work began to be restricted in the 1930s in Nazi Germany. He went to the Alps, grew a beard, and dyed all his hair by bathing in diluted hydrogen. He returned to Austria calling himself Kaspar Brandhofer, a Tyrolian peasant and was subsequently back treading the boards. Except this time be became very popular stage actor in Vienna and was even praised by the Nazis as "proof of the superiority of Aryan blood." When he came clean about his ruse, he was blacklisted and then emigrated to the United States in 1937. He had an active film career in the United States, appearing in almost 40 films between 1938 and 1946. While on tour with the USO, he died in Manila in 1946.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kinsale has a Scilly Walk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    Another wartime mine washed ashore in Antrim last year! I'd say there are still loads of them about.
    Not just the Germans

An estimated 1.17 million tonnes of conventional weapons and chemical weapons have been deposited in Beaufort Dyke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Lon.C wrote: »
    A lot of Asian people think that westerners eat sandwiches all the time.
    They also think we smell of milk as they are mostly lactose intolerant as adults
    and find it funny that we drink milk as it's only for babies in Asia.

LOL, did you find those in Viz!? Entirely untrue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The very first use of CGI in movies was for Hitchcock's Vertigo in 1958. It was used to generate the spirals in the opening titles by Saul Bass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

One of the lesser known operations of World War 2 was Operation Countenance, a joint Soviet-British invasion of Iran in 1941.

The British accused Iran of being sympathetic to the Nazi's (although Iran had declared neutrality) and occupied the southwest of the country, where most of the oilfields are. The Soviets occupied the north of the country, including the capital Tehran, as they wanted to create a strip of land called the Persian Corridor which joined the Soviet territories of Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan. This became a vital supply line for the remainder of the war.

The invasion was a surprise attack with no declaration of war being made. Iranian defenses were completely overwhelmed in 4 days and the allies took extremely light casualties (less than 100 dead), the Iranian army suffered much higher losses. The British and Soviets withdrew from the captured territories in 1946

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Kinsale has a Scilly Walk.

They need to build a ministry there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Riddle101

One of the lesser known operations of World War 2 was Operation Countenance, a joint Soviet-British invasion of Iran in 1941.

The British accused Iran of being sympathetic to the Nazi's (although Iran had declared neutrality) and occupied the southwest of the country, where most of the oilfields are. The Soviets occupied the north of the country, including the capital Tehran, as they wanted to create a strip of land called the Persian Corridor which joined the Soviet territories of Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan. This became a vital supply line for the remainder of the war.

The invasion was a surprise attack with no declaration of war being made. Iranian defenses were completely overwhelmed in 4 days and the allies took extremely light casualties (less than 100 dead), the Iranian army suffered much higher losses. The British and Soviets withdrew from the captured territories in 1946

Britain also invaded neutral Iceland in 1940.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    They need to build a ministry there.

Decentralisation? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

He just seems sad by normal standards. In Hungarian terms he's the proverbial pig in sh1t.

They have a saying in Hungary, "a pessimist is just a realistic optimist". If ever a national temperament was summed up in a sentence...

I've only ever personally known 2 Hungarians, both were very nice pleasant people.....but I never heard either of them laugh, even when drunk. Actually I don't think I ever even seen them smile!
    Lon.C wrote: »
    A lot of Asian people think that westerners eat sandwiches all the time.
    They also think we smell of milk as they are mostly lactose intolerant as adults
    and find it funny that we drink milk as it's only for babies in Asia.

I've never heard the sandwich thing before, but my mates brother in law is Chinese and he insists that all Irish people smell of milk!

The ability to tolerate milk in adulthood is actually a genetic mutation (lactase persistence), most adult mammals don't drink milk as they loose the ability to digest it while still young. The mutation is far more prevalent in Caucasians than it is in other races.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Ryath

The very first use of CGI in movies was for Hitchcock's Vertigo in 1958. It was used to generate the spirals in the opening titles by Saul Bass.

The rabbit holes this thread can lead you down!

Using a World War 2 anti-aircraft targeting computer.
    https://www.diyphotography.net/alfred-hitchcocks-vertigo-possibly-first-movie-use-computer-animation/

Hitchcock hired John Whitney who rigged up a WWII 850-lbs, 11,000-components anti-aircraft targeting computer called The M5 gun director to a platform. It was a mechanical computer which needed 5 soldiers to operate, but a computer nonetheless. He then placed cels on that platform and used a pendulum to achieve the needed endless rotation.

“Whitney realized that the gun director could rotate endlessly, and in perfect synchronization with the swinging of a pendulum. He placed his animation cels on the platform that held the gun director, and above it suspended a pendulum from the ceiling which held a pen that was connected to a 24-foot high pressurized paint reservoir. The movement of the pendulum in relation to the rotation of the gun director generated the spiral drawings used in Vertigo’s opening sequence.

Instruction manual!
    http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/utils/getfile/collection/p15040coll1/id/175/filename/176.pdf

M5%2C_M5A1_AND_M6_DIRECTORS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm currently reading a book about the Rape of Nanking (warning, even for a wikipedia page, that's not for the faint hearted). It was horrific. japanese troops killed hundreds of thousands in a 6-8 week period. They tortured, maimed, mutilated and raped the population of a city.

There were a small group of foreigners present. They cordoned off an area of two square miles of the city and called it an international safe zone. About 250,000 - 300,000 chinese people took refuge there and most survived. Most of the 300k people outside the safe zone died.
    the japanese perpetrated horrific crimes. and even made games out of it like how fast could they kill 100 people by decapitation and using people for bayonet practice for newer troops.

Of the group of foreigners present there was one guy who really sticks out. He's one of the primary organisers of the international zone and is responsible for saving the the lives of thousands of chinese people. His name was John Rabe. His house is preserved in Nanking and he's viewed as a hero for all the work he did to save people. He was also a high ranking Nazi....
    He'd walk around the city saving people and when the Japanese would try to stop him, he's point at his swastika armband.

Here's a couple of articles about him.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/nazi-who-became-the-angel-of-nanjing-1.1032981
    Here's an excerpt from the book I'm reading that specifically mentions him
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/01/the-nazi-leader-who-in-1937-became-the-oskar-schindler-of-china/251525/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

New Home wrote: »
    Ok, ok, my sources weren't reliable. Let me fix that:

In English, there's no A, B, C or D in the spelling of any whole number from 0 to 99. (No fractions)
    In English, there's no A, B or C in the spelling of any whole number from 0 to 999. (No fractions)
    In English, there's no B or C in the spelling of any whole number from 0 to 999,999,999.
    In English, there's no C in the spelling of any whole number up to Centillion.

"and" doesn't count.

How about A, B, C or D?

You never said it had to be a base 10 system. In hexadecimal numbers, which are still english, the numbers 10- 15 are represented by the letters A - F Do you would call a quantity of 10 A. And 99 would be 63.

https://www.binaryhexconverter.com/decimal-to-hex-converter (Scroll down to see).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:rolleyes: You do have a point, but :rolleyes: all the same. ;)

I suppose it doesn't apply to Roman numerals either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but there's a few "uncontacted" peoples still out there, in places like the Amazon rainforest.

Probably the most famous is the Sentinelese of North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal, and they rather violently reject outside contact, firing arrows at helicopters and the like.

They're in the news today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-46286215

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but there's a few "uncontacted" peoples still out there, in places like the Amazon rainforest.

Probably the most famous is the Sentinelese of North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal, and they rather violently reject outside contact, firing arrows at helicopters and the like.

So much for Psalms 28:7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Blues Brothers had a budget for cocaine during filming.

Nixonbot wrote: »

Aye, quite a few in Leitrim!! :pac:

Only primates, humans and opossums have opposable thumbs. The opossums are the only ones without thumbnails.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Grayson wrote: »
    How about A, B, C or D?

You never said it had to be a base 10 system. In hexadecimal numbers, which are still english, the numbers 10- 15 are represented by the letters A - F Do you would call a quantity of 10 A. And 99 would be 63.

https://www.binaryhexconverter.com/decimal-to-hex-converter (Scroll down to see).
    I would more say that's using a separate symbol for 16 (due to the different base as you said) however it isn't the spelling of the word in English like New Home said, e.g. 256 isn't spelled FF for example, no more than it's spelled 256.

• Advertisement

Hey I'm from Leitrim, watch it or I'll get my bow out...oh

Only primates, humans and opossums have opposable thumbs. The opossums are the only ones without thumbnails.

People from leitrim firing arrows? I didnt know they had advanced to using tools.

I'll ban the lot of yis :mad:

Don't worry Nixonbot, I'm sure that was a typo. He didn't mean Leitrim, he meant Roscommon.

:D :pac:

New Home wrote: »
    Don't worry Nixonbot, I'm sure that was a typo. He didn't mean Leitrim, he meant Roscommon.

:D :pac:

Everybody knows that Roscommon was invented to scare small children.

Now we're talking my language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Ryath wrote: »
    The rabbit holes this thread can lead you down!

Using a World War 2 anti-aircraft targeting computer.
    https://www.diyphotography.net/alfred-hitchcocks-vertigo-possibly-first-movie-use-computer-animation/

Hitchcock hired John Whitney who rigged up a WWII 850-lbs, 11,000-components anti-aircraft targeting computer called The M5 gun director to a platform. It was a mechanical computer which needed 5 soldiers to operate, but a computer nonetheless. He then placed cels on that platform and used a pendulum to achieve the needed endless rotation.

“Whitney realized that the gun director could rotate endlessly, and in perfect synchronization with the swinging of a pendulum. He placed his animation cels on the platform that held the gun director, and above it suspended a pendulum from the ceiling which held a pen that was connected to a 24-foot high pressurized paint reservoir. The movement of the pendulum in relation to the rotation of the gun director generated the spiral drawings used in Vertigo’s opening sequence.

Instruction manual!
    http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/utils/getfile/collection/p15040coll1/id/175/filename/176.pdf

Cool! I knew it was computer generated imagery (as opposed to hand drawn animation or optical effects) but I didn't know how it was achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Does anybody know which came first, the chicken or the egg? :)

The egg came first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The Egg !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement