Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

Does anybody know which came first, the chicken or the egg? :)

It's been comprehensively put to bed:
    First, let’s get the scientific answer out of the way. Eggs, generally speaking, existed before chickens did. The oldest fossils of dinosaur eggs and embryos are about 190 million years old. Archaeopteryx fossils, which are the oldest generally accepted as birds, are around 150 million years old, which means that birds in general came after eggs in general.

That answer is also true—the egg comes first—when you narrow it down to chickens and the specific eggs from which they emerge. At some point, some almost-chicken creature produced an egg containing a bird whose genetic makeup, due to some small mutation, was fully chicken. Given the incremental nature of genetic changes, locating that precise dividing line is pretty much impossible, but chickens were domesticated, diverging from their wild counterparts, sometime in the range of 7,000 years ago. Neil deGrasse Tyson has endorsed this idea of the not-quite-a-chicken bird laying the egg which would grow up to be a chicken, and Bill Nye agreed.

http://time.com/4475048/which-came-first-chicken-egg/

Why did the chicken cross the road halfway?
    Because she wanted to lay it on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Candie wrote: »
    It's been comprehensively put to bed:

http://time.com/4475048/which-came-first-chicken-egg/

Why did the chicken cross the road halfway?
    Because she wanted to lay it on the line.

Behold the not quite a chicken bird.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocoduck

Ipso wrote: »
    Behold the not quite a chicken bird.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocoduck

The Crocoduck sounds like one of those alternative Christmas dinner centrepieces, like a Turducken. Except you can make a handbag out of the Crocoduck leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

This is actually a theological question. If you believe in evolution, the egg came first (see dinosaur explanation above).
    If you are a bible believer, the chicken came first, as God made animals & humans in adult form, and offspring came after.

Whowudathunk it?!

This is actually a theological question. If you believe in evolution, the egg came first (see dinosaur explanation above).
    If you are a bible believer, the chicken came first, as God made animals & humans in adult form, and offspring came after.

Whowudathunk it?!

A philosopher is someone who goes to a dark basement at midnight to lok for a black cat that isn't there, a theologian finds it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

GBX wrote: »
    The Blues Brothers had a budget for cocaine during filming.

Hardly unusual in the entertainment industry! I can remember Student Union Entertainment Crews having large budgets for "towels" for certain big name DJs who were playing gigs for them in the early 2000's.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ipso wrote:
    A philosopher is someone who goes to a dark basement at midnight to lok for a black cat that isn't there, a theologian finds it.

That's where Shroedinger's cat went to.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Whowudathunk it?!

I might be wrong, here, but I don't think it was mentioned how grown up the animals were when they were made. As for Adam (again, I might be wrong), I don't think it was specified beyond saying Man (as in "male", I suppose), and Eve was made, as we know, from Adam's rib, and Adam called her Woman (as in "female") but again no reference was made to how grown up they were.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    That's where Shroedinger's cat went to.

He was probably fed up of getting shoved into boxes with vials of poison. I don't blame him/her, to be honest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Chickens evolved from south Asian jungle fowl and may have been domesticated as far back as 10,000 years ago.

Fish have been using eggs for at least half a billion years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    Only primates, humans and opossums have opposable thumbs. The opossums are the only ones without thumbnails.
    Some polydactyl cats have opposable "thumbs", some even have two on the same paws.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Some polydactyl cats have opposable "thumbs", some even have two on the same paws.

:cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Panama hat was never made in Panama, they are, and have always been made in Ecuador. The name Panama hat was popularised when US President Theodore Roosevelt visited the Panama Canal construction site in 1906. A gift of the hat was given to him during this trip and he was photographed extensively with it on.

Prior to this, throughout Central and South America, people referred to Panama hats as “Jipijapa,” “Toquilla,” or “Montecristi” hats at the time (the latter two phrases are still in use today).

Prior to Teddy Roosevelt, they were known as Panama hats, it just wasn't as mainstream. Due to Ecuador's low tourism and international trade levels during the 1850s, hat makers took their crafts to the busier trading areas of Panama. There, the hat makers were able to sell more hats than they ever could in Ecuador. The hats were sold to gold prospectors traveling through Panama to California during the Californian Gold Rush. Travellers would tell people admiring their hats that they bought them in Panama. So, the hats quickly became known as Panama hats. It only went truly global after Teddy's snaps were seen around the world.

Theodore-Roosevelt-luce-sombrero-de-paja-toquilla-en-su-visita-al-canal-de-Panama-en-construccion.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A child has more bones than an adult.

A baby's body has about 300 bones at birth. These eventually fuse (grow together) to form the 206 bones that adults have.

Older Boardsies may even know a song about this fact.

BaZmO* wrote: »

A baby's body has about 300 bones at birth. These eventually fuse (grow together) to form the 206 bones that adults have.

It may be a law, not an unnatural one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ipso wrote: »

It may be a law, not an unnatural one.
    Never trust anyone giving scientific advice those grammar is as bad as that wooden freak.

Them bones. Ffs.

AND WHY WAS HE MADE OF WOOD?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Never trust anyone giving scientific advice those grammar is as bad as that wooden freak.

Them bones. Ffs.

AND WHY WAS HE MADE OF WOOD?!

Wooden you know it. The first Boardsie.? biggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The Panama hat was never made in Panama, they are, and have always been made in Ecuador.

On the topic of hats (and courtesy of Q.I.:D)

Contrary to popular belief, cowboys rarely wore cowboy hats, they did exist at the time but their supposed ubiquity is largely an invention of Hollywood. The hat of choice for the sophisticated cowboy about town was in fact the bowler hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Due to the placement of its eyes, a donkey can see all four of its feet at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

On the topic of hats (and courtesy of Q.I.:D)

Contrary to popular belief, cowboys rarely wore cowboy hats, they did exist at the time but their supposed ubiquity is largely an invention of Hollywood. The hat of choice for the sophisticated cowboy about town was in fact the bowler hat.

They would have known it as a derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Worztron

In the egg industry, male chicks are ground up alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

The Panama hat was never made in Panama, they are, and have always been made in Ecuador. The name Panama hat was popularised when US President Theodore Roosevelt visited the Panama Canal construction site in 1906....]

Not the only thing Theo Roosevelt was inadvertently responsible for naming, either. At the turn of the last century, famous German toy makers Steiff produced their most popular style of stuffed bear and called it the 'Teddy' after President Theodore Roosevelt, and so the teddy bear was born!

The 'Teddy' bear had moveable limbs and was so popular that even today they're considered valuable collectibles and a 'well loved (tattered)' teddy can fetch thousands - and sometimes tens of thousands for one in good condition - at auction.

s-l1000.jpg

A more recent iteration of the classic Steiff bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Not the only thing Theo Roosevelt was inadvertently responsible for naming, either. At the turn of the last century, famous German toy makers Steiff produced their most popular style of stuffed bear and called it the 'Teddy' after President Theodore Roosevelt, and so the teddy bear was born!

The 'Teddy' bear had moveable limbs and was so popular that even today they're considered valuable collectibles and a 'well loved (tattered)' teddy can fetch thousands - and sometimes tens of thousands for one in good condition - at auction.

s-l1000.jpg

A more recent iteration of the classic Steiff bear.

What a throwback. I had exactly one of those as a child, kept it until my adult years than gave it to my brother who just had a child and who probably threw it away - it was really 'well loved" :(

I could be rich by now, apparently. Or not. I would have kept my teddy, because it kept all my childhood secrets...

Carry wrote: »
    What a throwback. I had exactly one of those as a child, kept it until my adult years than gave it to my brother who just had a child and who probably threw it away - it was really 'well loved" :(

I could be rich by now, apparently. Or not. I would have kept my teddy, because it kept all my childhood secrets...

I think it's only the original ones that fetch the bit money, Carry. Unless yours was an original bear in the President Teddy Roosevelt style, you weren't going to be making the big bucks. So don't kill your brother or anything. :)

The one in the pic above is much more recent Steiff, not worth much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I think it's only the original ones that fetch the bit money, Carry. Unless yours was an original bear in the President Teddy Roosevelt style, you weren't going to be making the big bucks. So don't kill your brother or anything. :)

The one in the pic above is much more recent Steiff, not worth much at all.

Yeah, I just checked. It's the old ones that really fetch big money. The most expensive was from 1912 and was sold for E128,000. 128,000!
    I'm not that old to have had one of those, though :)

Now I want a teddy bear.

And then there was one in a Louis Vuitton outfit that was sold in 2000 for nearly two million Euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Oh come on....that is standard childhood info right there.

I grew up in the 80s- I even remember the milk ad with the freaky mannequin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm currently reading a book about the Rape of Nanking (warning, even for a wikipedia page, that's not for the faint hearted). It was horrific. japanese troops killed hundreds of thousands in a 6-8 week period. They tortured, maimed, mutilated and raped the population of a city.
    The Japanese were absolutely brutal in WW2.

Unit 731

Comfort women

They won't apologise for anything and are just waiting for everyone who remembers to die off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The Japanese were absolutely brutal in WW2.

Unit 731

Comfort women

They won't apologise for anything and are just waiting for everyone who remembers to die off.

Yeah I have read up about the Japanese and actually posted here before that the made the Nazi's look like Boy Scouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

why be so nasty about it this thread is purely about passing on knowledge/ if you know so much post up something informative, not everyone is blessed with your education ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah, he does actually mention that ad in the post...the point is that knowing the reference means you're old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not everyone can remember the 80s or that ad old man!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement