Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not everyone can remember the 80s or that ad old man!

some of us can not remember yesterday for that matter:o

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Rubecula wrote: »
    some of us can not remember yesterday for that matter:o

You were wearing your blue jumper.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yeah, he does actually mention that ad in the post...the point is that knowing the reference means you're old and lived in Ireland at the time.

FYP. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Candie wrote: »
    Not the only thing Theo Roosevelt was inadvertently responsible for naming, either. At the turn of the last century, famous German toy makers Steiff produced their most popular style of stuffed bear and called it the 'Teddy' after President Theodore Roosevelt, and so the teddy bear was born!

The 'Teddy' bear had moveable limbs and was so popular that even today they're considered valuable collectibles and a 'well loved (tattered)' teddy can fetch thousands - and sometimes tens of thousands for one in good condition - at auction.

s-l1000.jpg

A more recent iteration of the classic Steiff bear.
    It was called teddy after the president after a cartoon of him with a bear he "saved" from hunters became famous. A New York toy shop owner got his wife to make 2 stuffed bears and asked the president's permission to call them Teddy's bears, which became Teddy bears. This was in 1902. Stieff called his bears Teddy bears in 1903. (He had been making bears for longer but they didn't have that name til 1903).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Worztron wrote: »
    In the egg industry, male chicks are ground up alive.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling

Innacurate and misleading.
    chick macheration - to use a bad pun is often 'over egged' and especially by vegans for some strange reasons. Not all egg production use commercial poulty suppliers. A range of producers sell eggs from poultry where no maceration is involved.

Neither are all male chicks are macerated in commercial operations. Asphyxiation is the primary method in the United Kingdom, processors also use gas to kill unwanted chicks.

In Ireland there are producers who rear the male chicks for eating. Whichever method is used it would appear that maceration is now viewed as wasteful and unnecessary and has led to the development of new egg scanning techniques making maceration redundant in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stieff called his bears Teddy bears in 1903. (He had been making bears for longer but they didn't have that name til 1903).

Her and she actually.

The company was founded by Margarete Steiff, a partially paralysed (from polio) seamstress from southern Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarete_Steiff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Wtf translates automatically in your head but lol does not

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wtf translates automatically in your head but lol does not

That's because doublejuhteeeff is much more more difficult to say than the original..whereas saying laughing out loud out loud is just daft, even more so than lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It took over 2,000 years to build the Great Wall of China.

Here's a map showing the various stages of construction.

DWW2U8fXUAIMOow.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's the only structure you'd need to be in space to see it fully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I may be wrong but that is an urban legend. Or am I mixing that up with the fact you can see it from the moon either way there is probably longer roads.

But I do know that the mortar is made from sticky rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

KevRossi wrote: »
    It took over 2,000 years to build the Great Wall of China.

I’ve had builders like that in.

I bet you didn’t know that the moniker @johnlewis on Twitter is not in fact owned by the department store but a guy with that name from the US. He generally replies to queries by forwarding them on, politely and with patience to @jlandpartners, their actual twitter handle (you can see why people don’t easily find it).

#notaretailstore

Of course it’s around Christmas that he gets gets a lot of requests for the Christmas ad. He normally redirects those too but this year he did in fact have his own ad.

https://twitter.com/johnlewis/status/1064505239770931202?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

You can listen to the last 15 minutes or so of the Apollo 11 moon landing at this site. All the coms at Houston and CAPCOM communicating with the three astronauts, along with video of the lunar surface from the lander.

https://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

It's the season again!

In this spirit I want to introduce you to the ultimate German short film (about ten minutes) that is actually as English as English can get, and I mean English English, not only English language.

This short clip from 1963 (premiere on stage was in 1945 in England) is cult in Germany, broadcasted every New Years Eve, often watched in public viewing in a pub, and every German worth his/her salt knows every word and every move. Hell, I grew up with that film and I still watch it every year and I still laugh my head off, but be warned, you need some booze to really appreciate it - and some old-fashioned sense of humour!

Ladies and gentlemen of boards.ie, may I introduce you to Dinner for One, starring Freddie Frinton and May Warden.

Carry wrote: »
    It's the season again!

In this spirit I want to introduce you to the ultimate German short film (about ten minutes) that is actually as English as English can get, and I mean English English, not only English language.

This short clip from 1963 (premiere on stage was in 1945 in England) is cult in Germany, broadcasted every New Years Eve, often watched in public viewing in a pub, and every German worth his/her salt knows every word and every move. Hell, I grew up with that film and I still watch it every year and I still laugh my head off, but be warned, you need some booze to really appreciate it - and some old-fashioned sense of humour!

Ladies and gentlemen of boards.ie, may I introduce you to Dinner for One, starring Freddie Frinton and May Warden.

Love watching this. Was at a theatre supper a couple of years ago where they acted it out. Was absolutely hilarious. So well written. Is this the correct thread for it though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC It's the most broadcast program.

It's spent more hours on screen than any other by being repeated so often and on so many channels.

IIRC It's the most broadcast program.

It's spent more hours on screen than any other by being repeated so often and on so many channels.

Well I definitely didn’t know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mr. Gobbledygook

The sunglasses 'Ray Bans', were given their name because of the role they play in preventing (banning) harmful sun rays from damaging your eyes.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The Japanese were absolutely brutal in WW2.

Unit 731

Comfort women

They won't apologise for anything and are just waiting for everyone who remembers to die off.

George Bush Senior didn't get eaten by the Japanese.

Four of the other airmen shot down over Chichijima weren't so lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

In what has become known as the "My Way" killings: The singing of Frank Sinatra's "My Way" in karaoke bars in the Philippines has on multiple occasions led to fatal disputes, including one where a man was shot for "singing off-key".

They really take their karaoke seriously in that part of the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You can't see it from space. It's too small. It's only about 15/20 foot wide at most. Doesn't matter how long it is then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Regarding the German new year tradition of watching that show.

They also have a tradition where they melt little balls of lead over an open flame on a spoon. Then you dunk your lead into a pot of cold water. Pick it out. And whatever shape it takes give a you a clue to how your coming year will be .

Who knee the Germans were such Craic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

cdeb wrote: »
    You can't see it from space. It's too small. It's only about 15/20 foot wide at most. Doesn't matter how long it is then

Isn't it more the effect it has on the landscape that can be seem from space, like the difference in landscape from one side of the wall to the other?

Plus considering Space starts at 100km up I'm sure it's possible to make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They also have a tradition where they melt little balls of lead over an open flame on a spoon. Then you dunk your lead into a pot of cold water. Pick it out. And whatever shape it takes give a you a clue to how your coming year will be .

A real "knees up?" :D

It's a thing!
    Molybdomancy (Try saying that after a few pints!)

Molybdomancy is a technique of divination using molten metal. Typically molten lead or tin is dropped into water. This tradition is known in various cultures. It is also practised in Finland(!) and Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Evade

Quazzie wrote: »
    Isn't it more the effect it has on the landscape that can be seem from space, like the difference in landscape from one side of the wall to the other?

Plus considering Space starts at 100km up I'm sure it's possible to make it out.
    It would be like looking down at a single strand of hair on the ground by your feet.

EDIT: I missed a zero. It would be like looking at a single strand of hair ~14m away

You know what human structure you can definitely see from space? Street lights at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Yeah, we even laugh occasionally. Seriously. :pac: :D

The lead-pouring tradition found it's (official) end in 2018, because of the poisonous properties of lead. The lead-pouring kits are now banned and it is recommended to use wax instead.
    I think that the danger of lead poisoning is a bit exaggerated in this case, but then nobody in the EU bureaucracy asked me...

Anyway, did you know that Ireland is the third-biggest lead producer in Europe (after Poland and Macedonia) and was up until about ten years ago the biggest? Now you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Red Kev wrote: »
    Far more barbaric than the guillotine is the Garrotte, which was used in Spain up until 1959. People were sentenced to death by Garrotte since then, but these have been commuted.

Maybe its been mentioned but there was a lad who was Garrotted to death in Barcelona in 1975.

Salvador something, there was a film made about it, very sad, think he might have been the last man to be killed under Franco.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Evade wrote: »
    It would be like looking down at a single strand of hair on the ground by your feet.

EDIT: I missed a zero. It would be like looking at a single strand of hair ~14m away

I'm wondering whether the shade the wall casts when the light is at a certain angles would make it visible - so, it wouldn't be just the wall that's visible from space, but the wall and its shadow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement