Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Manny7 wrote: »
    The closest US state to Africa is Maine
    WOW ! had to Google Maps it , but yeah it's true!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

New Home wrote: »
    I'm wondering whether the shade the wall casts when the light is at a certain angles would make it visible - so, it wouldn't be just the wall that's visible from space, but the wall and its shadow.
    No.

That would be like seeing two strands of hair very closely together from 14m away.

The theory that the Great Wall can be seen from space pre-dates the space race. I think it goes back to the nineteenth century.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm wondering whether the shade the wall casts when the light is at a certain angles would make it visible - so, it wouldn't be just the wall that's visible from space, but the wall and its shadow.
    I have no idea at what angle the sun has to be to cast visible shadows in China but at only 5° above the horizon the hair would still be ~1m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

peasant wrote: »
    That's because doublejuhteeeff is much more more difficult to say than the original..whereas saying laughing out loud out loud is just daft, even more so than lol.

Reminds me of the early days of the internet where every site was spoke with the www at the start. www is 3 times less efficient to say than World Wide Web

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Cartouche wrote: »
    A severe weather front hit Ireland in the one of the coldest winters in Irish history in 1740. The great frost wiped out an estimated 400,000 people as temperatures plummeted and the cold intensified. The cold weather led to food riots, famine and epidemic and death.
    I guess that was the same time the Thames completely froze over ? and they had markets and all on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,200 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

TomSweeney wrote: »
    I guess that was the same time the Thames completely froze over ? and they had markets and all on it.

That lasted for years. Well, every winter. It was called the little ice age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Apollo 13 nearly crashed on take off but a second malfunction fixed the first malfunction.

Its lost its centre engine on its first stage during lift off.
    They had enough power from the other 4 after this point to get into space.

What was the 2nd malfunction? (Apart from the o2 tank exploding)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Grayson wrote: »
    That lasted for years. Well, every winter. It was called the little ice age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

In effect the Thames only froze, on average, one year in every ten during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

You know what human structure you can definitely see from space? Street lights at night.
    In most places, yes...
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F_Mpd1ozuoa64%2FS61MLIMmt5I%2FAAAAAAAAB14%2FUa1NZAuMm74%2Fs1600%2FN%2Bv%2BS%2BKorea.jpg&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mikhail wrote: »
    In most places, yes...
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F_Mpd1ozuoa64%2FS61MLIMmt5I%2FAAAAAAAAB14%2FUa1NZAuMm74%2Fs1600%2FN%2Bv%2BS%2BKorea.jpg&f=1

The only light on in North Korea must be in Kim Jong Uns bedroom.

• Advertisement

The only light on in North Korea must be in Kim Jong Uns bedroom.
    The capital city gets street lighting at least some of the time, so kind of, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm pretty sure I've seen that image "debunked" before as being captured during a planned black-out period...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Worztron

gozunda wrote: »
    Innacurate and misleading.
    chick macheration - to use a bad pun is often 'over egged' and especially by vegans for some strange reasons. Not all egg production use commercial poulty suppliers. A range of producers sell eggs from poultry where no maceration is involved.

Neither are all male chicks are macerated in commercial operations. Asphyxiation is the primary method in the United Kingdom, processors also use gas to kill unwanted chicks.

In Ireland there are producers who rear the male chicks for eating. Whichever method is used it would appear that maceration is now viewed as wasteful and unnecessary and has led to the development of new egg scanning techniques making maceration redundant in the near future.

gozunda, I'm not surprised to see you defending the abhorrent practice of chick culling. Most male chicks are killed soon after birth. This equates to massive numbers. If anyone is being inaccurate and misleading, it's you. Dress it up all you want - it's still a despicable way to treat animals.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've seen that image "debunked" before as being captured during a planned black-out period...
    I've seen multiple sources claim they get only a certain number of hours of electricity each day over there. I could imagine it does vary quite a bit, but it's not that misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

original.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&fit=max&fm=jpg&q=70&auto=format

This is believed to be the only picture ever taken of Titanic (on the right) with her sister ship Olympic.

Taken at Harland & Wolf, Belfast on March 2, 1912.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Lyndon B. Johnson is the only US President to have been sworn in by a woman on his inauguration-Federal Judge Sarah T.Hughes, who happened to be a family friend.

Included among the dignitaries at JFK's funeral a couple of days later were De Valera, Charles de Gaulle, Emperor Haile Selassie, Prince Philip, British PM Alec Douglas-Hume and future West German Chancellor Willy Brandt.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Regarding the German new year tradition of watching that show.

It was on BBC earlier today.

Freddie Frinton is getting a German stamp in his honour in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lyndon B. Johnson is the only US President to have been sworn in by a woman on his inauguration-Federal Judge Sarah T.Hughes, who happened to be a family friend.

Included among the dignitaries at JFK's funeral a couple of days later were De Valera, Charles de Gaulle, Emperor Haile Selassie, Prince Philip, British PM Alec Douglas-Hume and future West German Chancellor Willy Brandt.

He was also sworn in on a Catholic missal (owned by JFK) which was on board AF1 as opposed to a Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Worztron wrote: »
    gozunda, I'm not surprised to see you defending the abhorrent practice of chick culling. Most male chicks are killed soon after birth. This equates to massive numbers. If anyone is being inaccurate and misleading, it's you. Dress it up all you want - it's still a despicable way to treat animals.

Why don't they just sell them or give them away?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Why don't they just sell them or give them away?

You’re talking millions of them. Not good enough for eating seemingly and anyways, they probably wouldn’t be able to live together without killing each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You’re talking millions of them. Not good enough for eating seemingly and anyways, they probably wouldn’t be able to live together without killing each other.

How agressive they get depends on the breed, but they're waaay less likely to attack one another if they're born and raised together and have never been kept apart.

But I agree, it's brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Worztron wrote: »

Not to take it personally - defending nothing there my friend. Simply clarifying and detailing same as happens in other posts in the thread.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How agressive they get depends on the breed, but they're waaay less likely to attack one another if they're born and raised together and have never been kept apart.But I agree, it's brutal.

Unfortunately in my experience sexually mature rosters will often fight each other to death - even where born and raised together and are naturally aggressive. In nature many more rosters (jungle fowl) are born than survive and reach reproductive age. As for commercial poultry the good news is that It looks like the process of selectively culling the males will be soon replaced by pre-selection resulting in female only fertilised eggs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

gozunda wrote: »
    Unfortunately in my experience sexually mature rosters will often fight each other to death - even where born and raised together and are naturally aggressive. In nature many more rosters (jungle fowl) are born than survive and reach reproductive age. As for commercial poultry the good news is that It looks like the process of selectively culling the males will be soon replaced by pre-selection resulting in female only fertilised eggs.

Eh, no. I've three of them (admittedly, three are not three thousand) and only one hen, and they're the best of friends.

Eh, no. I've three of them (admittedly, three are not three thousand) and only one hen, and they're the best of friends.

Lol you must be up early in the morning with that amount of crowing at dawn. Btw are they fully sexually mature? If not expect ructions ;)

I'd say they're at least three years old, at this stage, and have the spurs to prove it. :) They behave like the knights of the round table with Guinevere. :) There's a definite pecking order, but they're absolutely harmless towards each other. In fairness, they're not in a confined space, and it could be down to their breed (whatever it is), but the fact that they've always been together does make a big difference. I would not attempt this with grown roosters that don't know each other.

Edit: Actually, they were born in the spring of 2016.

I'd say they're at least three years old, at this stage, and have the spurs to prove it. :) They behave like the knights of the round table with Guinevere. :) There's a definite pecking order, but they're absolutely harmless towards each other. In fairness, they're not in a confined space, and it could be down to their breed (whatever it is), but the fact that they've always been together does make a big difference. I would not attempt this with grown roosters that don't know each other.

That poor hen lol - does she ever get a night off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Ladies and gents*. Drop the chicken subject. Take it to pm if ye want to carry on.

*term used very loosely.

Sorry Putinbot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cdeb wrote: »
    The theory that the Great Wall can be seen from space pre-dates the space race. I think it goes back to the nineteenth century.
    It's not that you can see it from space, it's that you can't possibly see all of it from the ground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement