Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Women CAN orgasm from penetration alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

23rdians are a group of people who subscribe to the mystical power of 23 and see it in multiple combinations throughout daily life.

Twenty three is the lowest prime that consists of consecutive digits, The sum of the first 23 primes is 874, which is divisible by 23.

The Earth is inclined on it's orbital plane by 23 degrees

Each parent contributes 23 chromosomes to the start of human life.

The average human physical biorhythm is 23 days

The 23rd letter of the alphabet (W) has 2 points down and 3 up = 23.

The September 11 attacks occurred on 9/11/2001, 9 + 11 + 2 + 1 = 23

The Number 23, is the 23rd Movie directed by Joel Schumacher. It was also released in the US on February 23, 2017

This post was written today at 23:23 and posted shortly after.

The above post missed its target by 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Cartouche wrote: »
    If there are 23 people in a room there is a 50-50 chance that two of them will share a birthday

I call b**** tbh. Anything to back this up? Or has this thread descended into any aul horse manure?

Having thought about it for a whole four seconds, most of the statements like that are just pure drivel. Don't mind me, carry on.

Did you know that if 14 koala bears climbed the same tree, at the same time, there's a 14% chance that Dot Cotton will be smoking a fag.

Magnets, it's like, science biatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The largest Japanese population outside Japan is in Sao Paulo.

In Paraguay, unlike other South American countries, the majority of the population speaks fluent Guarani, a native language. Even white Paraguayans speak it and many in the countryside are monolingual. When at war with Bolivia in the 1930s, the outnumbered Paraguayans only communicated by radio in Guarani, knowing most Bolivians didn't speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Liamalone wrote: »
    I call b**** tbh. Anything to back this up? Or has this thread descended into any aul horse manure?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Mind you the superstition around the number 23 is still nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

eating 10 pieces of fruit a day will give you the galloping dry rot

Nerds and their nonsense. A load of poppycock imo. Thanks for link though.

Everything you consume is a poison, it's just the dosage that dictates whether you become tatty bread or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The sun will rise today in Carnsore Point co Wexford at 7.19 am, but for people in Valentia Island/Portmagee, it will be another 16 minutes until the sun rises at 7.35 am.

It may be obvious to some, but the length of the delay is always a bit wondrous to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

Having thought about it for a whole four seconds, most of the statements like that are just pure drivel. Don't mind me, carry on.

Did you know that if 14 koala bears climbed the same tree, at the same time, there's a 14% chance that Dot Cotton will be smoking a fag.

Ok, put the gun down nice and slowly, thats it. Dont listen to the voices, they arent real

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Not at all. If you add 2+3 together you get 5. Then add 18. You get 23.

Extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Lots of coincidences between Kennedy and Lincoln assassination.

Lincoln was shot by John Wilkes Booth. Kennedy was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald.
    Both presidents' last names have 7 letters.
    Both assassins' full names have 15 letters.
    Each assassin committed his crime in the place where he worked.
    After shooting Lincoln, Booth ran from a theatre to a warehouse; after shooting Kennedy, Oswald ran from a warehouse to a theatre.
    Both assassins died in the same month as their victim in a state adjacent to the state of their birth.

See Wikipedia for full article. Lots of other coincidences, but some are not 100% and others stretch the word coincidence'.

And to add to that.

A week before he was assassinated, Lincoln was in Monroe, Alabama.
    A week before he was assassinated, Kennedy was in Monroe, Marilyn.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You want to think for another four seconds I think, more babies are born in September and November than other months (due to New Years and Valentine's), there isn't a 1/365 chance of being born on any particular day. So the statistics check out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You want to think for another four seconds I think, more babies are born in September and November than other months (due to New Years and Valentine's), there isn't a 1/365 chance of being born on any particular day. So the statistics check out.

That has nothing to do with it whatsoever. It's a probability result theta seems improbable and counterintuitive.
    In a group of 23 people it is likely that 2 will share a birthday of 50%.
    What must be considered when we look at a group of people is not the individuals but the pairings of these people. There are 253 pairs in a group of 23 people.
    The maths on it are readily available if you Google 'Birthday problem'. The probability for 23 people is 50.73%.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

That has nothing to do with it whatsoever. It's a probability result theta seems improbable and counterintuitive.
    In a group of 23 people it is likely that 2 will share a birthday of 50%.
    What must be considered when we look at a group of people is not the individuals but the pairings of these people. There are 253 pairs in a group of 23 people.
    The maths on it are readily available if you Google 'Birthday problem'. The probability for 23 people is 50.73%.

I've read it before and forgotten most of it, never seen it broken down like that though.

I'll remember it like that next time, cheers!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

23rdians are a group of people who subscribe to the mystical power of 23 and see it in multiple combinations throughout daily life.

Eikositriophobiais is the fear of the number 'tween 22 and 24.

Caligynephobia is the fear of beautiful women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Eikositriophobiais is the fear of the number 'tween 22 and 24.

Are you averse to typing the name of The Number, Capt'n M ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Burt Reynolds once dumped a helicopter load of shít on the National Enquirer's Christmas tree.

The tree was outside their HQ and it was reported to be the biggest Christmas tree in the USA. Burt didn't think that such a rag of a 'newspaper' should have that accolade, since they had been writing shít about him for years.

So on Christmas Eve he got his pilot to load up his private helicopter with a load of horse manure from his ranch and dumped it on the tree. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Are you averse to typing the name of The Number, Capt'n M ? :rolleyes:
    It's unlucky to be superstitious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

I wont expect you to understand but here is the math

With 23 people we have 253 pairs:

23*22 / 2 = 253

The chance of 2 people having different birthdays is:

1 - (1 \ 365) = 364\365= .997260
    When comparing one person's birthday to another, in 364 out of 365 scenarios they won't match. Fine.

But making 253 comparisons and having them all be different is like getting heads 253 times in a row -- you had to dodge "tails" each time. use exponents to find the probability:

(364/365) to the power of 253 = .4995 Roughly 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

A good thread spoiled. Again.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    A good thread spoiled. Again.

Get out of it, a few posts explaining something doesn't ruin a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrian_statue?wprov=sfla1

While there are rumours that some of these are urban legends in some cases the stance of a horse in statue form could denote how horse or rider died in battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Today at lunchtime I looked at the digital clock in the kitchen, and it said 1:11, then just seconds later the chap on the local radio shortly afterwards mentioned noticing this and that it was spooky to notice such a thing.

For various reasons, people ascribe different kinds of significance to dates and numbers; “2011-11-11", showed an sharp increase in the number of marriages taking place in different areas throughout the world.

The Armistice that ended the fighting in western Europe of the First World War took effect at 11 a.m. Paris time on November 11, 1918, "the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month". There are plenty of other occurrences e.g.

1) New York is 11th state.
    2) New York City has 11 letters
    3) Afghanistan has 11 letters.
    4) George W Bush has 11 letters.
    5) The first plane crashing against the Twin Towers was flight no 11.
    6) Flight 11 was carrying 92 passengers. 9 + 2 = 11
    7) Flight 77 which also hit, was carrying 65 passengers. Add this 6+5 = 11
    8) The tragedy was on September 11, or 9/11 as it is now known, 9 + 1 + 1 = 11
    9) The total number of victims inside all the planes were 254. 2 + 5 + 4 = 11
    10) The day September 11 is day number 254 of the calendar year.
    (again 2 + 5 + 4 + = 11). Leaving 111 days left in the year.
    11) The tragedy of 3/11/2004 in Madrid also adds up to 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 4 = 11, this also occured 911 days after the Twin Towers.

Cartouche wrote: »
    I wont expect you to understand but here is the math
    SHA-1 gives checksums that indicate that a file or cert hasn't been tampered with, but the birthday paradox can apply to crypto too.

It took just 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 calculations to produce two PDF files with the same hash. :eek:

It took 110 years of GPU time.
    Or one hour if you have a million GPU's. Typically once these hashes are broken others see new ways to speed up the algorithms. A 100 fold speed up in the future would not be totally unexpected. If that happens then those 110 years become one hour on 9,636 GPUs, well within the reach of a botnet or renting time on the cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Advbrd wrote: »
    A 2 X 4 is really 1-1/2 inches by 3-1/2 inches.

2x4 planed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Tigger wrote: »
    2x4 planed?

That's American terminology. Around here we call them 4×2's . Larger measurement first. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

12 x 12 = 144 and backwards 441 = 21 x 21

Same for

13 x 13 = 169 and backwards 961 = 31 x 31

I could keep going but I'd be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Code talkers are people in the 20th century who used obscure languages as a means of secret communication during wartime. The term is now usually associated with the United States soldiers during the world wars who used their knowledge of Native American languages as a basis to transmit coded messages. In particular, there were approximately 400–500 Native Americans in the United States Marine Corps whose primary job was the transmission of secret tactical messages.

Other languages used over the years have been Welsh, Basque and Nubian. The language is used as the base of the code, but there are other codes used within it, so that if by chance another native speaker came across a transmission, they wouldn't be able to break the code.

Navajo was the best known of these and was used throughout WW2 and up to Korea and Vietnam. Nobody ever managed to crack the code. The victory at Iwo Jima was largely credited to the Navajo who transmitted messages.

Joe Kieyoomia was a Navajo soldier who was captured by the Japanese in 1942. They initially took him to be of Japanese descent and he was tortured by them for being a traitor. When they accepted he was Navajo they then tortured him for months in concentration camps to get him to break the code, however, he had never been trained in the code so didn't know how to break it.

He survived the Bataan Death March, where over 20,000 of 80,000 men died, also the infamous Japanese "Hell Ships". Towards the end of the war he was taken to the Japanese mainland to work as a forced labourer and was in Nagasaki on August 9th when the atomic bomb was dropped. He survived due to the prison cells being made out of concrete, which was unusual in Japan at the time. He died in 1997, aged 77.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement