Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No. I'm taking about raw images. Not that it matters.

Simply put..

Because any picture than can be taken has a digital representation then every potential picture has a digital representation whether it was taken or not.

Do you issue a newsletter?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

August has the highest percentage of births

That's cos all the best people are born in August :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

FanadMan wrote: »
    That's cos all the best people are born in August :D:D

I suspect that it is due to loads of drunken riding at Christmas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I suspect that it is due to loads of drunken riding at Christmas!!!
    Or Xmas babies being a result of a Paddy's day mad one in Coppers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

If you scaled the Milky Way galaxy down to having a diameter of 3 feet, then the first radio waves generated by humans propogating at the speed of light could be scaled down to a sphere with the size of this full stop .

To put that into context, considering we are circa 20-25,000 light years from the edge of the galaxy, which is estimated at 100,000 light years across, if you pointed a laser at the far edge of the galaxy, held the beam of light until the battery ran out, then the beam, uninterrupted, would take 80,000 years to reach the edge of our galaxy.

With the technology we have today, it would take billions of years to reach the edge of the Milky Way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The number 1.61803339887... is special. Its called Phi or the Golden Ratio, or Golden Number, Golden Proportion, Golden Mean, Golden Section, Divine Proportion and Divine Section. It was written about by Euclid in "Elements" around 300 B.C.

Its truly unique in its mathematical properties and pervasive in its appearance throughout nature.

Imagine you have a piece of string and you cut it in two. There is one unique point at which the ratio of the large piece to the smaller piece is exactly the same as the ratio of the whole string to the larger piece, and at this point this Golden Ratio of both is 1.618 to 1, or Phi.

What makes this so much more than an interesting exercise in mathematics is that this proportion appears throughout creation and extensively in the human face and body. Its found in the proportions of many other animals, in plants, in the solar system and even in the price and timing movements of stock markets and foreign currency exchange. Its appeal thus ranges from mathematicians to doctors to naturalists to artists to investors to mystics.

Phi is the only number whose square is equal to itself plus one.
    Phi is also the only number whose reciprocal is equal to itself minus one.

The positions and proportions of the key dimensions of many animals are based on Phi. Examples include the body sections of ants and other insects, the wing dimensions and location of eye-like spots on moths, the spirals of sea shells and the position of the dorsal fins on porpoises. Even the spirals of human DNA embody phi proportions.

The Phi ratio is found in the Great Pyramid, and the Parthenon. More modern applications of the Golden Ratio in architecture can be seen in Notre Dame in Paris, the United Nations Headquarters Secretariat building in New York and the CN Tower in Toronto. Its commonly used in the design of products and logos and by many major corporations, eg Toyota.

The distances of the planets from the sun correlate surprisingly closely to exponential powers of Phi. The beautiful rings of Saturn are very close in dimension to the golden ratio of the planet's diameter. NASA released findings in 2003 that the shape of the Universe is a dodecahedron based on Phi.

For full story see www GoldenNumber net

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

The number 1.61803339887... is special. Its called Phi or the Golden Ratio, or Golden Number, Golden Proportion, Golden Mean, Golden Section, Divine Proportion and Divine Section. It was written about by Euclid in "Elements" around 300 B.C.

Its truly unique in its mathematical properties and pervasive in its appearance throughout nature.

Imagine you have a piece of string and you cut it in two. There is one unique point at which the ratio of the large piece to the smaller piece is exactly the same as the ratio of the whole string to the larger piece, and at this point this Golden Ratio of both is 1.618 to 1, or Phi.

What makes this so much more than an interesting exercise in mathematics is that this proportion appears throughout creation and extensively in the human face and body. Its found in the proportions of many other animals, in plants, in the solar system and even in the price and timing movements of stock markets and foreign currency exchange. Its appeal thus ranges from mathematicians to doctors to naturalists to artists to investors to mystics.

The positions and proportions of the key dimensions of many animals are based on Phi. Examples include the body sections of ants and other insects, the wing dimensions and location of eye-like spots on moths, the spirals of sea shells and the position of the dorsal fins on porpoises. Even the spirals of human DNA embody phi proportions.

The Phi ratio is found in the Great Pyramid, and the Parthenon. More modern applications of the Golden Ratio in architecture can be seen in Notre Dame in Paris, the United Nations Headquarters Secretariat building in New York and the CN Tower in Toronto. Its commonly used in the design of products and logos and by many major corporations, eg Toyota.

The distances of the planets from the sun correlate surprisingly closely to exponential powers of Phi. The beautiful rings of Saturn are very close in dimension to the golden ratio of the planet's diameter. NASA released findings in 2003 that the shape of the Universe is a dodecahedron based on Phi.

You lost me on the word 'The.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The ratio makes things aesthetically pleasing too.
    I make quilts and when I put borders on them, I decide the measurements based on the golden ratio, because it makes the quilt look "right".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

That's a myth. You can make anything fit retrospectively.

The phi ratio is NOT in the Great Pyramid or in spiral shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

That's a myth. You can make anything fit retrospectively.

The phi ratio is NOT in the Great Pyramid or in spiral shells.

Any reference, or are we to take it as fact based on your capitalisation of the word NOT?

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Any reference, or are we to take it as fact based on your capitalisation of the word NOT?

The website given in the op has a section which deals with the myth and tells you itself that the phi ratio is not in the pyramids or spiral shells.
    But because it's a website called "goldennumber.net" there is liberal use of words like "close" and "some" to justify it's existence.

https://www.goldennumber.net/golden-ratio-myth

A quick google of "Golden Number Myth" will give you loads of reputable references.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

cdeb wrote: »
    The yellow bit on the inside of an egg is called a "yolk"

Scientists have found that people who correct people's grammar online are more likely to have personality disorders.

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-who-constantly-pick-up-grammar-mistakes-are-kinda-jerks-scientists-find

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The Immaculate Conception. A lot of people think it refers to Jesus' conception. Nope - it refers to Mary's conception.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The website given in the op has a section which deals with the myth and tells you it's self that the phi ratio is not in the pyramids or spiral shells.
    But because it's a website called "goldennumber.net" there is liberal use of words like "close" and "some" to justify it's existence.

https://www.goldennumber.net/golden-ratio-myth

A quick google of "Golden Number Myth" will give you loads of reputable references.

You're fake news

28a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Loofahs are made from from dried out gourds...and don't, in fact, originate from the sea...

This....

Luffa_aegyptica.jpg

Becomes this....

luffacolor.jpg

And finally this....

main-qimg-6e749bb1457d714065a9f4e7ed6e5d07

And this....

31ezC6gyzFL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Something I only learned recently is that short term memory exists for no more than one minute. Any longer is long term memory. This is why it's so easy to forget why we went into a room for something. It happens when we get distracted by another thought.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Loads of people, like me, have a condition called heterochromia. It means you have multiple colours in the eyes (different to having two different coloured eyes). There's a whole load of reasons this can happen, a common one is a mutation in melanin production.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

The Wooden Spoon as an award for coming last place in a competition originates from Cambridge University. In the maths exams, the person who got the worst score, but still received a third-class degree, was "awarded" a wooden spoon by his fellow classmates. Over time the spoons got bigger and bigger, reaching over 5 feet long in later years, and were often well decorated and had inscriptions on them.

Not something you'd want to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

McDonald's are the Largest distributor of toys in the world.

Your foot is the same length as your elbow to your wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

No its Not !

• Advertisement

No its Not !

Other than Chinese people who had their feet bound and restricted growth, I say I am right. Have you tried a comparison?

p.s. I have never met a Chinese person with tiny feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

1. You can't lick your own elbow.

2. You've just tried to lick your own elbow.

stimpson wrote: »
    1. You can't lick your own elbow.

2. You've just tried to lick your own elbow.

Lick or no Lick, your foot is still the same size as your forearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

McDonald's are the Largest distributor of toys in the world.

I misread that as "your flute" instead of your foot.

No it's not. There is some correlation but they are not the "same length".

https://smellyforearmandfeet.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/about-us/

have you measured yours? mine are the same, lets have a poll please.
    everybody, I don't care where you are or what you are doing get your foot out and measure it against your forearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

People don't like to look cheap in restaurants especially when they are on a date.

Many restaurants know this and expect to sell a lot of the second cheapest wine. It often has the highest markup. So in this scenario go with the cheapest bottle :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Times like this my prosthetic leg really comes in handy.

Jaysus you're right! It is the same length.

have you measured yours? mine are the same, lets have a poll please. everybody, I don't care where you are or what you are doing get your foot out and measure it against your forearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

have you measured yours? mine are the same, lets have a poll please.
    everybody, I don't care where you are or what you are doing get your foot out and measure it against your forearm.

Mine is close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Other than Chinese people who had their feet bound and restricted growth, I say I am right. Have you tried a comparison?

p.s. I have never met a Chinese person with tiny feet.

Yup checked and they are not the same

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement