Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Mine is close!

How close?
    Yup checked and they are not the same

What is the difference in length?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How close?

OK, I got the tape out, both are 27cm, measuring arm to bony stickyout bit on wrist :D

OK, I got the tape out, both are 27cm, measuring arm to bony stickyout bit on wrist :D

Well can't get much closer than that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Jake LaMotta, the former world Middleweight champion whose life is portrayed by Robert de Niro in the film "Raging Bull", is still alive. A chirpy 95 years old. He even married for the seventh time in 2013. Incredible when you think of the blows he would have received during his career (including in one famous bout against Sugar Ray Robinson) at a time when the sport was more brutal than today, and the high percentage of ex-pros that die relatively young with brain diseases.

In fact, as things stand he is the third longest living former boxing champion on record: former heavyweight champion Max Schmelling died in his 100th year in 2005, and two-time welterweight champion Jimmy McLarnin (incidentally born in County Down) died aged 96 in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

have you measured yours? mine are the same, lets have a poll please.
    everybody, I don't care where you are or what you are doing get your foot out and measure it against your forearm.

No, over 2cm of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

In ancient Ireland it was seen to be dishonourable to have short hair and a shaven face because they thought the persons soul was in the head.

After Patrick died it is said there was a battle between the Ui Neill / Airgialla and the Ulaid over who got to keep the body, the body then replicated so they thought they both got the body so it is hard to know if this is a story of legend or a historical fact, maybe they just added in that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

After Patrick died it is said there was a battle between the Ui Neill / Airgialla and the Ulaid over who got to keep the body, the body then replicated so they thought they both got the body so it is hard to know if this is a story of legend or a historical fact, maybe they just added in that part.

Do you really find it hard to know whether Patrick's dead body spontaneously replicated or is just a fanciful legend?!! :rolleyes:

Oh yes. A body replicating itself is historical fact. Absolutely. How could it not be.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Apparently Samurai where basically tax collectors more so than warriors for the most part, they also believed handling money was beneath them so their wives actually did most the accountancy. They built up myths around their prowess to scare people into paying.

• Advertisement

Do you really find it hard to know whether Patrick's dead body spontaneously replicated or is just a fanciful legend?!! :rolleyes:

I was meaning that it is hard to know whether the complete story is a thing of legend, the story may be true but they added in that part for dramatic effect. It was recorded in the Annals of the Four Masters.

I was meaning that it is hard to know whether the complete story is a thing of legend, the story may be true but they added in that part for dramatic effect. It was recorded in the Annals of the Four Masters.

For the most part, the Annals is a medieval replication of earlier records that are dubious in their accuracy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

FAKE NEWS

We can't prove much but I'm willing to believe it apart from the body replication part. It is a bit like the bible and God.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

god didnt duplicate the bible, we have johann gutenberg to thank for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Wossack wrote: »
    god didnt duplicate the bible, we have johann gutenberg to thank for that

God didnt even write the bible to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Because a digital photo is a collection of pixels and anything can be photographed and be represented by pixels it follows that if you were to run through all the potential pixels in a standard image (of whatever resolution) there is a photo representation for every event in your life, and everybody's lives, from any angle.. Whether you took it or not.

Also of course there are photos of people who never existed. Of planets never visited.

Or you with famous people. Like the time you went for drinks with Hitler. You and marlyn monroe getting it on. You and marlyn monroe and an alien in a threesome.

Anything that can be photographed (which is anything that can imagined) must have some representation digitally.

The number of pixel combinations is very very large but finite (and most will be noise. So the number of fully acceptable pictures from the images is much lower).

Interesting that it's a finite number.

I read that in a different context.
    Like if you generate random texts of finite length. You will get an absolutely vast number of texts containing nothing but gibberish.

But you will also get all works of Goethe and Shakespeare. And the solution to all our problems (possibly). And the most beautiful poem ever.
    Anything that was ever written and will be ever written and much much more.

No, over 2cm of a difference.

you need to cut your nails :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Originally Posted by readytosnap View Post
    Your foot is the same length as your elbow to your wrist.
    No it's not. There is some correlation but they are not the "same length".

https://smellyforearmandfeet.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/about-us/

Mine are not. There's between 0.5 to 1 cm difference. Foot is shorter. And that's after 2 pregnancies.

Fact of the day for you male counterparts : After Pregnancy, Women Have Bigger Feet :D

http://www.livescience.com/27583-foot-size-pregnancy.html

Fact of the day for you male counterparts : After Pregnancy, Women Have Bigger Feet :D ]

Do your feet grow, or your forearms shrink? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mine are not. There's between 0.5 to 1 cm difference. Foot is shorter. And that's after 2 pregnancies.

Fact of the day for you male counterparts : After Pregnancy, Women Have Bigger Feet :D

http://www.livescience.com/27583-foot-size-pregnancy.html

Serious question - have you tried with both feet? :)

Also, as far as I remember, the measurements should be taken from the nook of your elbow to your wrist, not on the outside of your arm.

Do your feet grow, or your forearms shrink? :D

Ah shtop, I'm short enough already. Last thing I need are shrinking anything !

There was a gentle man in my area who passed away only a few days ago (RIP), he was tiny and shrinking, and locals called him the carrot, as he was growing downwards. :)

New Home wrote: »

Also, as far as I remember, the measurements should be taken from the nook of your elbow to your wrist, not on the outside of your arm.

Oh I measured from the outside, maybe from the inside it'll be the same. Too lazy to go at it again now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ah shtop, I'm short enough already. Last thing I need are shrinking anything !

There was a gentle man in my area who passed away only a few days ago (RIP), he was tiny and shrinking, and locals called him the carrot, as he was growing downwards. :)
    I worked with a lad whose nickname was Zero.

When his younger brother started at the same place, he was immediately known as Minus One:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's hilarious! :D (As long as they saw it as funny too... :/)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

There's an Amish community based in Ireland.

I measured forearm with the arm in a arm-wrestling type position, on a table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That's hilarious! :D (As long as they saw it as funny too... :/)
    They did, two very funny lads.

I love the thought process by some lads to work out a fantastic nickname like that so fast:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Less of the chinwag more with the facts :pac:

- The number of possible ways of playing the first four moves per side in a game of chess is 18,979,564,000.

-Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump

- During World War II, the crew of the British submarine HMS Trident kept a fully grown reindeer called Pollyanna aboard their vessel for six weeks...it was a gift from the Russians.

-Lt. Col. “Mad” Jack Churchill was the only British soldier in WWII known to have killed an enemy soldier with a longbow. He insisted on going into battle armed with both a longbow and Scottish long-sword.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Indian Railways are the largest non military employer in the world.

The Germans flew the first jet plane, had the first jet fighter, the first jet bomber, the first cruise missile and the first ballistic missile. All before 1945.

In the event of a nuclear war, France would use its weapons against any invading force that threatens French soil.

If that should be the Russian army in Germany, then France would nuke Germany to protect itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement