Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Incorrect.

Whoosh.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nope, he's absolutely right. Check again.

It's actually around 86%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I would've thought it would be more correct to say crap is 75% rap but sure whatever......yo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

"My cocaine" sounds like "Michael Caine" if you pronounce it like Michael Caine would.

Saying 'Space Ghetto' in an American accent sounds like you're saying 'Spice Girl' in a Scottish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

My Cocaine is dating a Space Ghetto, and they going out later
    To have some beer can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

valoren wrote: »
    Saying 'Space Ghetto' in an American accent sounds like you're saying 'Spice Girl' in a Scottish accent.

Jesus! So it does! :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Rap is 75% Crap

Floss is boss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

All the other planets in the solar system would fit within the space between the Earth and the Moon.

1414425762200_wps_16_CLqdeKf_jpg.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Music is like a box of chocolates.

You can't enjoy it until you remove the wrappers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

You can special cards and send to people wishing them a happy St Patrick's Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

fiachr_a wrote:
    You can special cards and send to people wishing them a happy St Patrick's Day.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Michael Caine is 84 today.

As is Quincy Jones, who composed the soundtrack to The Italian Job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What?
    If you touch your phone in a certain sequence a pizza will arrive at your door

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

dasdog wrote: »
    As is Quincy Jones, who composed the soundtrack to The Italian Job.

Not a lot of people know that either;)

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/man-who-kept-city-on-right-side-of-slavery-29359322.html
    In 1786, several Belfast merchants, including Waddell Cunningham, called a meeting at the Exchange and Assembly Rooms in Waring Street. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss setting up a slave-ship company.

Their plan was to ship goods to the Gold Coast, purchase the captured African slaves, deliver them to the West Indian sugar plantations, returning to Belfast with cargoes of sugar and brandy.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/blogs/belfast-and-beyond/belfast-slave-ship-company
    Halfway through the meeting Thomas McCabe a Presbyterian stood up and condemned those present for what they were planning. He told them they were a disgrace and described in detail the human degradation involved because the purpose of the meeting was to form the Belfast Slave Ship Company. McCabe finished his address by saying:

“May God Wither the Hand of Any Man Who Signs This Agreement.”

The meeting broke up, the Belfast Slave Ship Company was never formed and in effect, Belfast turned it’s back on millions if not billions of pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

There is serious consideration being given to cancelling the st patrick's day parade in killarney due to a scheduled protest March by travellers....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

If you touch your phone in a certain sequence a pizza will arrive at your door

S'not true. I tried that and ended up watching a documentary on lesbians...... At least I think it was a documentary. Dead good it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

S'not true. I tried that and ended up watching a documentary on lesbians...... At least I think it was a documentary. Dead good it was.

You were lucky. I got Bubble Shooter.

The game...not the ...eh...nevermind.

Mork and Mindy was a spinoff from Happy Days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Robin Wiliams was a lot funnier back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Allinall wrote: »
    Laois is the only Irish county that doesn't border a coastal county.
    Kilkenny touches the sea via the tidal part of the Barrow so technically thats incorrect.
    After water, Concrete is the most used substance in the world.

what about air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

what about air?

Not by volume as it's the oxygen content we use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

King George V was technically murdered in 1936, (though he would have died within a day or two anyway.....)
    "By 20 January, he was close to death. His physicians, led by Lord Dawson of Penn, issued a bulletin with words that became famous: "The King's life is moving peacefully towards its close."

Dawson's private diary, unearthed after his death and made public in 1986, reveals that the King's last words, a mumbled "God damn you!",[106] were addressed to his nurse, Catherine Black, when she gave him a sedative on the night of 20 January.

Dawson, who supported the "gentle growth of euthanasia", wrote that he hastened the King's death by injecting him, at around 11.30 p.m., with two consecutive lethal injections of morphine and cocaine. Dawson claimed that he acted to preserve the King's dignity, to prevent further strain on the family, and so that the King's death at 11:55 p.m. could be announced in the morning edition of The Times newspaper rather than "less appropriate ... evening journals"

The first act Prince Charles does as King will be to swear to protect the church in Scotland.

Most of the pomp and ceremony around the British Royal Family, such as the Trooping of the Colour and all the elaborate costumes dates from the early 20th Century after a comment made by Kaiser Wilhelm II that the Germans did ceremony better than the British. King Edward VII decided then to change all that and thus most of the rituals we are familiar with were born.

Some interesting stuff here about what happens on the death of QE2, worth a read IMO. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It absolutely blew my mind the first time I found out about this but it came up again on Twitter recently.

They don't use electric kettles in the USA.

If they need hot water, it goes in the microwave or a stovetop. But the voltage from power outlets there is 120V so it would take an age to use an electric kettle.

Seems absolutely barbarous to me. No wonder Trump won.

Not sure about that. I had an electric kettle when I lived over there.
    And a quick check on Target shows they have a fine collection of kettles too.

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=electric%20kettle&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all%20categories&lnk=snav_ta_electric%20kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not by volume as it's the oxygen content we use.
    What about using air for cooling? Or drying?
    It absolutely blew my mind the first time I found out about this but it came up again on Twitter recently.

If they need hot water, it goes in the microwave or a stovetop. But the voltage from power outlets there is 120V so it would take an age to use an electric kettle.

Yeah, I had an American staying with me years ago and she was astounded that every Irish home had a fancy kettle. There was nothing like it in the states.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Winterlong wrote: »
    Not sure about that. I had an electric kettle when I lived over there.
    And a quick check on Target shows they have a fine collection of kettles too.

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=electric%20kettle&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all%20categories&lnk=snav_ta_electric%20kettle

Yes, it's not that they are not available for purchase. Just that in general, they don't use them as they are pointless for them.

As someone who regards a working kettle as a fundamental human right, I find it difficult to comprehend how they survive but survive and indeed thrive they do.

I know they tend to use standing electric coffee machines and don't really drink tea to the extent we do this side of the water.

This ties in as well with the whole immersion debacle here because all of my questions around how they manage without a kettle revolve around more mundane uses for hot water like mopping/washing up etc. - they have permanent hot water on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I live in the States and use an electric kettle all the time, both in work and at home. It does take ages though and most Americans I know just buy their coffee anyway the lazy feckers,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I live in the States and use an electric kettle all the time, both in work and at home. It does take ages though and most Americans I know just buy their coffee anyway the lazy feckers,

You could bring a Euro-spec kettle with you, but you'd have to plug it into the cooker ring-main using heavier-than-standard flex because it would be drawing around twice the current it normally would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CAF303

A shark will only bite you if it's wet (or if you're wet), not sure which one it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement