Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Esel wrote: »
    They chilling!

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Esel wrote: »
    That's chilling!

Gave me goosebumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

neonsofa wrote: »
    I don't know if this was said already and the boards search function is not the best especially on mobile- so apologies if it was!

If you Google image search the number 241543903 you will see loads of pictures of people with their head in a freezer.

And 4636228756 is people with their heads in washing machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

And 4636228756 is people with their heads in washing machines.

Any codes for gas ovens?

Not your ornery onager

There is a tribe of people on Tanna island in the archipelago of Vanuatu, who believe that Prince Philip is the reincarnation of their long lost Mountain God, after he visited the island a couple of times in the early seventies. They were less impressed by the Queen.

The Kastom people call themselves the Prince Philip Movement and it appears to be related to similar a neighbouring islands cult - The John Frum Cargo Cult - who believe that a chap called John Frum will one day arrive with gifts of insight and wads of cash.

Tribe-Rex-439264.jpg

Every night, the Prince Philip Movement have prayers and services for his return while getting off their faces on fermented Kava juice. One of the things he'll do, apart from making the villagers immortal is have the fish leap ashore and control the weather to their benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

valoren wrote: »
    At Google's headquarters at Mountain View, CA, they do not use lawnmowers to maintain the lawns.
    They rent a herd of 200 goats instead as part of a carbon free approach to maintenance.

Commendable, but how do the goats get to the lawns? If it entails a couple of 40 ft trucks over say 20 miles, once per week it's probably much the same thing. Though I'm sure they gave it some thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

There used to be a Shepherd on the Munich equivalent of the M50 (the A99). It worked out cheaper than a company with lawn mowers and strimmers. The cars are doing 120 Km/h within a few metres of them.

This was in the early 2000's when I was working there, not sure if he's still used.

Der-Schaefer-von-der-Autobahn-729x486-8afb7cb66f57092b.jpg
    Der-Schaefer-von-der-Autobahn-729x486-ca0c81c95d23f365.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Thylacine, or Tasmanian Tiger may not be extinct after a few reputable observers spotted one which may be part of a small remaining population.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/tasmanian-tiger-australia-thylacine-predator-hunt-science-queensland-a7649561.html

Baby Tas Tigers are called imps!

I'm wrong, Tasmanian Devil babies are called Imps, not Tigers! Makes sense when you think about it too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Candie wrote: »
    Their jaws are so powerful they even eat the bones of their prey.

I wouldn't like to get into an argument with a Tasmanian Tiger.

Baby Tas Tigers are called imps!
    Looking at one of the pics in that article, they have a HUGE bite:eek:

• Advertisement

Airey Neave, the then shadow NI Secretary of State was killed in 1979 by a car bomb that was fitted to his car in the underground car park of the House of Commons. It was one of the most audacious attacks of The Troubles.

He was also the first person to ever escape from Colditz making the 600km journey to Switzerland and then on to the UK.

He spoke fluent German was an agent for MI9 which helped Allied prisoners escape from occupied Germany and was the man who read out the indictments to various Nazi leaders at the Nuremburg Trials after the war.

His murder is the subject of a conspiracy with some people blaming the US for his death. He himself was suspected of having a plot to kill then government minister Tony Benn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Both Capuchin Monkeys and Cappuccinos are named after Capuchin Monks.

Monkeys coz their colouring looks like the monks when their hoods are up and the drink because it's the same colour as the robes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And Capuchin Monks get their name from their robes, hood is 'cappuccio'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

maybe a contender for 'obvious things you've only just realised' but, Chuck Norris sang the intro song for Walker Texas Ranger

♪♪ when you're in Texas, look behind you,
    for that's where the Ranger's gonna be ♪♪

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not sure if it's true, but I must admit I didn't know this.

yz3i8rdrcp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

Before Jimi Hendrix died,he was planning on changing his musical outlook.
    He was really into jazz/rock and often would listen to Chicago,a band who impressed him greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

A website allows you to anonymously send SH1T in the post to someone.
    I particularly like the option to send gluten free horse sh1t.

The cowards way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

When you google it there seems to be quite a few websites offering the service...

Does anyone know Edna's home address?... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Another one sends exploding glitter !

edit:
    https://www.glitterretribution.co.uk/
    https://shipyourenemiesglitter.com/
    http://prankpostage.com/t/anonymous-penis-glitter-bomb

• Advertisement

Next time you're really furious make note of your top lip twitching. It may not even be noticeable but when a person is in a state of angry arousal the twitch of the top lip is an evolutionary left over of the teeth baring display of defence/threat that we still see in other great apes and some other animals.

Light-skinned people synthesize vitamin D better than their darker-skinned counterparts. People in colder climates enjoyed less sunshine, which led to skin lightening to improve the endogenous production of vitamin D, its synthesis being triggered by ultraviolet rays from sunshine on the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

A good way to ensure keeping your teeth straight and in good condition is minding your business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

A good way to ensure keeping your teeth straight and in good condition is minding your business

Lexie, you are unreal..... Wait a second... Now I get your name!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The Thylacine, or Tasmanian Tiger may not be extinct after a few reputable observers spotted one which may be part of a small remaining population.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/tasmanian-tiger-australia-thylacine-predator-hunt-science-queensland-a7649561.html

Just to point out there have been sightings by aboriginies for decades. They weren't considered reputable unfortunately. It's a bug bear of mine. Sorry to be awkward. Great post though!

In a really inspiring story of generosity, a group of 200 desperately poor women from Kampala in Uganda who earn around $1.10 a day working in a mine breaking rocks into gravel, some of whom were suffering from AIDS, made a donation of $900 to a European charity to give to victims of hurricane Katrina.

The women donated every spare copper they could and sold homemade bracelets and jewellery they made in their spare time to relieve the suffering of the people of New Orleans after the hurricane.

Only the year previously, these women with so little had done the same, donating their earnings and raising a similar amount to ease the suffering of the victims of the Southeast Asia tsunami.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I so much want this creature to be alive. I'm not sure why but I find the footage of what was believed to be the last thylacine alive haunting somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

In a really inspiring story of generosity, a group of 200 desperately poor women from Kampala in Uganda who earn around $1.10 a day working in a mine breaking rocks into gravel, some of whom were suffering from AIDS, made a donation of $900 to a European charity to give to victims of hurricane Katrina.

The women donated every spare copper they could and sold homemade bracelets and jewellery they made in their spare time to relieve the suffering of the people of New Orleans after the hurricane.

Only the year previously, these women with so little had done the same, donating their earnings and raising a similar amount to ease the suffering of the victims of the Southeast Asia tsunami.

Ah, now I feel bad about myself :-(

I so much want this creature to be alive. I'm not sure why but I find the footage of what was believed to be the last thylacine alive haunting somehow.

It is haunting.

To be the last of your kind is like the epitome of a unique kind of loneliness.

There are no waiting lists for a donor kidney in Iran, because it's perfectly legal to sell your kidney to the highest bidder there. People place advertisements in newspapers, supermarket noticeboards and sometimes lamposts or simply in graffiti on walls around the hospitals, giving their bloodtypes and their phone numbers.

There is evidence that poor and uneducated people have been coerced into selling their organs, especially poor rural women who have been pressured to sell a kidney to provide for their own dowries, or on older women to sell theirs to provide the bride price for her daughter, or the startup capital for a sons business, but it hasn't stopped a roaring trade in living donor body parts.

Only Iranians can sell kidneys, and only to other Iranians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It is haunting.

To be the last of your kind is like the epitome of a unique kind of loneliness.

That's why I always thought King Kong was a sad film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement