Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Candie wrote: »
    It is haunting.

To be the last of your kind is like the epitome of a unique kind of loneliness.

Hey, I'm the last of the great lovers AND the last of the big spenders and you don't hear me going on about it :-)

steddyeddy wrote: »
    That's why I always thought King Kong was a sad film.

I've never watched it, any version. I can't knowingly watch a movie if I know an animal dies or gets hurt in it, even CGI ones.

I'm still traumatized from Dumbo, and I wouldn't touch Bambi. I'd be a basket case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Bambi is one movie I can't watch I get so upset even as a kid. The lion king too, that gets grim very early on in the movie and I could never get past the start

Bambi is one movie I can't watch I get so upset even as a kid. The lion king too, that gets grim very early on in the movie and I could never get past the start

I remember sitting on my dads knee in the cinema watching The Lion King when Simbas daddy died, sobbing my guts out so loudly we had to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Cruelty to animals is one of the very few things that awakes my internal monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

There's a train station in dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

bpb101 wrote: »

What???........what......I mean, where. And also What??!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The official name of Busaras is 'Aras Mhic Dhiarmada'. Named after John McDermott who in his adulthood switched his name to the Irish spelling Sean Mac Diarmada.

The mastermind of the 1916 rebellion. He doesn't seem to get the same recognition as some others. He was one of the major players. The architect.

I wonder is that because he was from Leitrim. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ah here, you can't say that and not tell us what's the craic?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ah here, you can't say that and not tell us what's the craic?

I think that was meant to be posted earlier yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Porcupines climb hemlock trees to eat them (at some times of year), and often fall out. Their diet also makes them deficient in sodium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Nope, there was a train station built in the basement, because it was obvious that you they were going to run a train to the airport, like why wouldn't you. Nobody ever got around to it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nope, there was a train station built in the basement, because it was obvious that you they were going to run a train to the airport, like why wouldn't you. Nobody ever got around to it

Looks like this was discussed here 12 years ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=218655

Dublin Airport Train Station. Been There, Slept in it.
    Regarding the original question on Dublin Airport I used to work down there and there is a place under the main basement called the "Train Station".

It's about the size of a large warehouse and under the newer end of the train station [Edit: Terminal Building]. The lift shafts that serve the main terminal at the northern end of the building do go down to it.

I was a student at the time, studying in the engineering/architectural field and the original posters statement about AerRianta starting to implement something and being stopped seems accurate considering whats down there at present. Where the train station was going to go appears to have just been squared off into a space with room for future development.

Because there's no other reason for something the size of an aircraft hanger under there as far as I can see other than it would save a whole lot of hassle for the future development of a train station. When I was last there one of the bar's was occupying one tiny corner of the place while the rest of it was filled with material and rubbish you'd get off a couple of large building sites. Spares and the likes for the construction work that was still going on while I was there.

This wouldn't by any chance be the Area 14 check in area Aer Lingus used before they moved to T2 would it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've never watched it, any version. I can't knowingly watch a movie if I know an animal dies or gets hurt in it, even CGI ones.

*WARNING* doesthedogdie does *NOT* have a nopetsdie filter :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

You too?! I have never seen bambi to this day. I couldn't even watch Nemo - what kids film starts out with the :( mom being killed? .........I know they're only films and understand drama has to enter into good plots, but some of it is way too heartwrenching (and not entertaining) for sensitive souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

B00! wrote: »
    You too?! I have never seen bambi to this day. I couldn't even watch Nemo - what kids film starts out with the :( mom being killed? .........I know they're only films and understand drama has to enter into good plots, but some of it is way too heartwrenching (and not entertaining) for sensitive souls.
    Nemo is a lot more subtle than Bambi though. My 5 year old has watched it lots of times and he has never realised the mum dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

This wouldn't by any chance be the Area 14 check in area Aer Lingus used before they moved to T2 would it?

It is yes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Don't go near Dumbo, so... :( I watched both Dumbo and Bambi as a child - Bambi was very very very sad, but I can still feel the tears coming just thinking about Dumbo. :( I know Disney films all end well, but seriously, nothing takes away the pain of seeing the beginning of Bambi and Dumbo.

Also, in 4th class our teachers had the BRILLIANT idea of showing us an animated movie about lots of bunnies who lived under a hill.... The film had just come out, and the teachers didn't have a clue about the plot. Talk about childhood trauma!!

In case someone hadn't seen it, Watership Down is NOT a film suitable for children.

Human beings are unusual among mammals in having full colour vision, something that is usually confined to birds and reptiles but few other diurnals. Most other mammals have limited hue-variation vision that excludes red/green discernment, and many species have a different way of seeing light outside the spectrum available to humans, in the way that bees see ultraviolet light and that helps them find plants with nectar.

There are two reasons for our wide colour-spectrum vision. The first is to find and discern suitable foods, we can find berries but also tell from their particular hue if they'll feed us or kill us, and the second is because we are naked apes. Our lack of hair makes our skin visible at all times, and colour vision helps us discern the variations in blood flow that signal threat, distress, ovulation, lying, and whether or not the person we're looking it is feeling their mojo or not. Giving us one of the big advantages that fueled our evolution, the ability to know if a stranger is likely to co-operate or not, and to size one another up psychologically before any act - just by having a good look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

New Home wrote: »
    Don't go near Dumbo, so... :( I watched both Dumbo and Bambi as a child - Bambi was very very very sad, but I can still feel the tears coming just thinking about Dumbo. :( I know Disney films all end well, but seriously, nothing takes away the pain of seeing the beginning of Bambi and Dumbo.

Also, in 4th class our teachers had the BRILLIANT idea of showing us an animated movie about lots of bunnies who lived under a hill.... The film had just come out, and the teachers didn't have a clue about the plot. Talk aboout childhood trauma!!

In case someone hadn't seen it, Watership Down is NOT a film suitable for children.
    I so agree New Home. Dumbo was terrible! :( I cried so hard! How could the writers put kids thru watching a cute ickle elephant hurt so much?! I remember distrusting all animated flicks from that day forward. :mad: Those movies aren't fun (dunno how my friends seemed to like them so much, I couldn't get past the heartache)... Note to self: do NOT watch Watership Down (ta NH!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Human beings are unusual among mammals in having full colour vision,
    More on colour vision and cute animals too,

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

What's even more curious about colours is that, as a general rule, people created names for the various colours in roughly the same order across a huge range of various languages. Here's a brief article on it; the order is "black, white, red, green, yellow, and blue with others like brown, purple and pink coming at various times afterward."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I so agree New Home. Dumbo was terrible! :( I cried so hard! How could the writers put kids thru watching a cute ickle elephant hurt so much?! I remember distrusting all animated flicks from that day forward. :mad: Those movies aren't fun (dunno how my friends seemed to like them so much, I couldn't get past the heartache)... Note to self: do NOT watch Watership Down (ta NH!)

I think most of those films would benefit greatly from the addition of a Predator. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

jimgoose wrote: »
    I think most of those films would benefit greatly from the addition of a Predator. :D

:rolleyes:

If you add a Sharknado as well as a Predator, then I'm sold. But we're gonna need a bigger boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

... and whether or not the person we're looking it is feeling their mojo or not. Giving us one of the big advantages that fueled our evolution, the ability to know if a stranger is likely to co-operate or not, and to size one another up psychologically before any act - just by having a good look.

Another visual signal to finding a 'suitable vessel for seeding', is the natural colour of a ladies (or partners) skintones. Higher levels of yellow-red antioxidant carotenoids in the skin, show a better quality of health, reproduction and thus survival.

Smokers may be at a disadvantage here, and those that prefer the artificial type 'orange powder coating' won't be as successful as natural vitality (wider) colour range attained from the wide range of vitamin rich vegtables and fruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Jupiter doesn't orbit the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

blastman wrote: »
    Jupiter doesn't orbit the sun

Neither does Earth, or any of the rest of them. Strictly speaking they orbit the Solar System's barycentre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

jimgoose wrote: »
    Neither does Earth, or any of the rest of them. Strictly speaking they orbit the Solar System's barycentre.

Even more strictly speaking, the Solar System doesn't have a single barycentre. It's relative to each planet and the sun. Most of the time this is somewhere inside the sun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Exactly. The only planet that has a barycentre that is outside the sun is Jupiter, due to its mass. As it is only a distance of 7% of the sun's radius above the solar surface, the sun orbits it very, very tightly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

On September 29th 1979, 1.25 million* people saw Pope John Paul II in the Phoenix Park, an estimated 37% of the then population. It was at the time the largest percentage of the population of a country to be gathered in one place at one time** and was only surpassed by the 1.6m that gathered for the Cedar Revolution in Lebanon in 2004 which was probably 40% of the indigenous population, but around 33% of the population if refugees etc. are counted.

* Figure estimated was possibly exaggerated by the Church, but there's no way of tracking these numbers.
    ** With the exception of Vatican City and some other very small nations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement