Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

In 1963 Brian Blessed delivered a baby in Richmond Park and cut the umbilical cord with his teeth.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/brian-blessed-stuns-bbc-hosts-with-graphic-story-about-baby-he-delivered-in-a-park-a6684426.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

stimpson wrote: »
    In 1963 Brian Blessed delivered a baby in Richmond Park and cut the umbilical cord with his teeth.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/brian-blessed-stuns-bbc-hosts-with-graphic-story-about-baby-he-delivered-in-a-park-a6684426.html

anybody else i would call BS but i could see Brian Blessed doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

how?

They mean SOUNDEX, it's a lot more boring than it sounds.

Senna wrote: »

I'm not sure that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Senna wrote: »

oh that. that is really boring alright. The interesting thing is that it was invented nearly a hundred years ago to do matches on foreign names that nobody could spell properly.

• Advertisement

Doctors at John Hopkins in Baltimore were the first to perform a new surgery in the late 00's. A kidney was removed from a live donor through her vagina.

Natural orifice surgery is becoming more common as techniques are perfected, this being the first transvaginal nephrectomy, where the kidney is removed through a small incision in the vaginal wall after a keyhole incision is made in the stomach just to allow the instruments entry to detach the kidney and guide it though the vaginal opening, sparing the donor major abdominal surgery and scarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Candie wrote: »
    Doctors at John Hopkins in Baltimore were the first to perform a new surgery in the late 00's. A kidney was removed from a live donor through her vagina.

Natural orifice surgery is becoming more common as techniques are perfected, this being the first transvaginal nephrectomy, where the kidney is removed through a small incision in the vaginal wall after a keyhole incision is made in the stomach just to allow the instruments entry to detach the kidney and guide it though the vaginal opening, sparing the donor major abdominal surgery and scarring.

You could just tell donors that story and they'll probably puke up a few organs just thinking about it, no surgery needed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

As someone who has always been a voracious reader, I used to read packaging when I was small and there was nothing else to read. I always wondered what the strange symbol like a lowercase e beside the weight was.
    Well, it's the "estimated" symbol, and European law requires it on prepackaged food. It means that the average weight of a package's contents can't be less than the estimated weight printed on the package, or that it has to fall within an acceptable error range.

I've spent the past 2 hours trying to figure out a witty response to this.

All I have is Hot Beef Extraction.

Fewer than 15% of people can control a group of muscles called the auriculares - the muscles around the ear that control wiggling movements.

It's thought this is a vestigial feature, a left over from a previously useful ability such as being able to 'point' one's ear in different directions to concentrate hearing, in much the same way as we see some animals do if alerted by a strange noise to the presence of an intruder, a predator, or a possible feeding opportunity.

• Advertisement

You could just tell donors that story and they'll probably puke up a few organs just thinking about it, no surgery needed at all.

I think it's fantastic, I'd be surprised if many people found it repulsive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Fewer than 15% of people can control a group of muscles called the auriculares - the muscles around the ear that control wiggling movements.

It's thought this is a vestigial feature, a left over from a previously useful ability such as being able to 'point' one's ear in different directions to concentrate hearing, in much the same way as we see some animals do if alerted by a strange noise to the presence of an intruder, a predator, or a possible feeding opportunity.

That's my party piece! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It is fantastic. For an outsider it has all the appearances of a miracle. It's also stomach churning. It can be two things!

New Home wrote: »

I'm sorry to tell you that you're less evolved than a non-wiggler!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't care, I can wiggle my ears and you can't. So there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

All the more reason to clip them.

:P

Oi! That's also my party piece! :mad: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

stimpson wrote: »
    I've spent the past 2 hours trying to figure out a witty response to this.

All I have is Hot Beef Extraction.

How about.............................Snatch and Grab :eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Thats all fine and dandy if you're a woman. What's the procedure if you're a man?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thats all fine and dandy if you're a woman. What's the procedure if you're a man?

Bottle of whiskey and a rusty razor blade.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

The same as it's always been, I imagine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I always wondered what the strange symbol like a lowercase e beside the weight was.
    Well, it's the "estimated" symbol, and European law requires it on prepackaged food. It means that the average weight of a package's contents can't be less than the estimated weight printed on the package, or that it has to fall within an acceptable error range.
    Before that the packaging had to contain at least what was on the label.

So it was rounding down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

You total show-off!!!

I'd love to be able to do that so am really jealous :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

FanadMan wrote: »
    You total show-off!!!

I'd love to be able to do that so am really jealous :P
    I learned to do it over a weekend, drives the kids crazy. I stayed thinking about moving the muscles around my head and massaging them and eventually they moved a bit after much frustration. After that, it is just a matter of isolating the muscles you want.

So it can be learned:)

I just wonder which group I now belong to:confused:

You're 'The Missing Link'! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Would you like some fish with that kidney?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Have recently started watching The Sopranos box set. Halfway through it I decided to check who the actor was that plays Tonys right hand man, Silvio Dante.

Turns out he's played by Steven VanZandt, the guitarist in The E Street Band. Absolutely shocked! Have seen the guy in music videos etc countless times and could pick him out of a lineup but never made the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Lawlesz wrote: »
    Have recently started watching The Sopranos box set. Halfway through it I decided to check who the actor was that plays Tonys right hand man, Silvio Dante.

Turns out he's played by Steven VanZandt, the guitarist in The E Street Band. Absolutely shocked! Have seen the guy in music videos etc countless times and could pick him out of a lineup but never made the connection

Apparently the part was written just for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Lawlesz wrote: »

Noo wrote: »
    Apparently the part was written just for him.

it was, but Steve was very worried about learning lines, so Chase said to him - just shrug if you forget.. which is what he does a tonne of times throughout the series...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

^^

And the woman who plays the part of Silvio's wife, is Maureen Van Zantdt, Steves actual wife.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement