Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Thats all fine and dandy if you're a woman. What's the procedure if you're a man?

Sex change, then the easy scar free kidney removal through your shiny new vag:)

Thats all fine and dandy if you're a woman. What's the procedure if you're a man?

From talking to someone in that particular business today, you may soon be able to have a kidney removed via your rectum.

Good news, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Candie wrote: »
    From talking to someone in that particular business today, you may soon be able to have a kidney removed via your rectum.

Good news, eh?

That's not new, people on boards have been pulling things out of their arses for years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

There is a fish dawn chorus. 7 types of fish have been observed by scientists to "vocalize" early morning and around sunset.

I love the bird dawn chorus.

And I saw the first swallow today ! Only one guy, come to suss out if the place is still available I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

There is a fish dawn chorus. 7 types of fish have been observed by scientist to "vocalize" early morning and around sunset.

I love the bird dawn chorus.

And I saw the first swallow today ! Only one guy, come to suss out if the place is still available I guess.
    I see a letter to the Irish times editor on the horizon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ireland never won a Eurovision on the popular vote (televoting)

All their 7 victories were decided by a national jury vote.

Televoting only entered the fray in the late 90s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nin Huguen and the Huguen Notes came fifth in a Song for Norway back in 1976.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Ice Age ended precisely 11,720 years ago.

On July the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't get the reference, but it sounds interesting ? :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I don't get the reference, but it sounds interesting ? :o:)

It's a reference to the traditional Letter to the Editor on the first sighting of a Swallow in Ireland.

Here's the one from last year.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/first-swallows-1.2612357?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They're a bit late. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

New Home wrote: »
    On that note, there's a Neil Young* and a Paul Young*, and a Neil Simon# and a Paul Simon*.

*Musicians/Singers/Songwriters
    #Playwright/Author

You forgot Simon Young :)

#musiclegends#heysimonwhatimeisit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Whoops! So I did, sorry! I knew there was someone missing from that list... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

The Young Ones.
    The Simon Community.
    Neil Armstrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Eel stocks in Europe have dropped 99% in the last 50 years.

The European eel can't be bred in captivity ether, as as soon as its captured it shuts down its reproductive system.

One of the first researchers into this phenomenon was a certain sigmund Freud ...but all he concluded was that he couldn't figure out why and he moved on to psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

You're ginger right? :p

My fact....blue eyes aren't really blue.....its just a trick of the light.

Didnt the north koreans send a few lads up there a few years ago? I believe they were clever enough to go at night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When Titanic was delivered to her owners from Haarland and Wolff to the White Star Line, 'No Pope' was spray painted on her boilers.

They made a formal complaint to H&W over it. H&W responded by issuing an apology and rounding off the bill for the final work

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

When Titanic was delivered to her owners from Haarland and Wolff to the White Star Line, 'No Pope' was spray painted on her boilers.

They made a formal complaint to H&W over it. H&W responded by issuing an apology and rounding off the bill for the final work
    Thats bullsh1t, like a lot of the posts in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have you a reliable link to that, or a suggestion of where to find it, as everything I have on the subject says that, and the hull number reversal, were myths?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Know-All's are Buzz Killers

Oh sorry, wrong thread - everyone knows that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The Ice Age ended....11,720 years ago.

According to Steven Fry of QI, we are still in the "last" Ice Age. The Age doesn't end until both poles are ice free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

According to Steven Fry of QI, we are still in the "last" Ice Age. The Age doesn't end until both poles are ice free.

We're in an ice age - as stephen fry or any junior cert geog book will tell you.
    We're in an interglacial period (within the ice age)
    The last glacial maximum was 12,500bc. In the future the ice sheets may advance and the planetary temperature drop.

We're only out of the ice age when there is no ice masses (at the polls)

Technically speaking, that link said that Denmark has been ice free since then , and aren't a million miles away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azolla_event
    The Arctic Ocean used to be freshwater, full of ferns. They took enough CO2 to send us into a 49 million year Ice Age.

We are living in the coldest era since the Ice Age, if you go back before we are currently still living in an ice age.
    Jorgen Peder Steffensen again
    http://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/sciencexplorer/earth_and_climate/golden_spike/video/determination_of_end_of_ice_age/
    In a geological sense, we are still in an ice age as there is still ice in Antarctica and Greenland. The Antarctic ice sheet is roughly 35 million years old, and the Greenland one is roughly 1.5 million years old. Before 35 million years ago there were no ice sheets at all. We have to go back to the Permian period some 270 millions years back to find another period on Earth with significant ice volumes.
    http://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/sciencexplorer/earth_and_climate/golden_spike/video/spoergsmaal_svar1/
    Over the last 40 million years the CO2 level in the atmosphere has fallen from 1000-2000 ppmv to a minimum of 180 ppmv 20.000 years ago. Not since the Perm period circa 250 million years ago has the CO2 level been so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Have you a reliable link to that, or a suggestion of where to find it, as everything I have on the subject says that, and the hull number reversal, were myths?

H and W had sectarian hiring policies but I too think "no pope" is a myth.

About 85% of Nepalese/Tibetan people have a very particular trait thanks to the presence of the EPAS1 gene that enables them to get by with as much as 40% less oxygen than the rest of us. The greater the elevation, the more most peoples hemoglobin levels rise which can cause heart problems if it rises high enough. The EPAS1 gene stops the hemoglobin from rising above the level where it can cause these problems. This explains why Nepalese Sherpas can so successfully guide parties up Everest which much less apparent physical toll.

The really interesting thing is where the EPAS1 gene comes from. In 2010, a single fingerbone found in the Denisova cave system in Siberia was found to contain DNA and the genome sequenced using a new single strand method in the Max Planck Institute in Heidleberg, and a new extinct, distinct, species of human was discovered. Denisovans interbred with modern humans and lived in the same areas that Tibetans now inhabit, and their dna is found at a rate of about 2 - 5% in certain populations of Tibetans and some Pacific Islanders. The EPAS1 gene is a gift from the Denisovan ancestors of modern Tibetans, hidden in that small percentage of DNA.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd love to go on a date with Candie. Don't care what she looks like but there'd be so much to talk about.

I'd love to go on a date with Candie. Don't care what she looks like but there'd be so much to talk about.

I'm also gorgeous.

Just putting that out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm also gorgeous.

And she puts it out there!????

Amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I'm also gorgeous.

pics or gtfo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The really interesting thing is where the EPAS1 gene comes from. In 2010, a single fingerbone found in the Denisova cave system in Siberia was found to contain DNA and the genome sequenced using a new single strand method in the Max Planck Institute in Heidleberg, and a new extinct, distinct, species of human was discovered. Denisovans interbred with modern humans and lived in the same areas that Tibetans now inhabit, and their dna is found at a rate of about 2 - 5% in certain populations of Tibetans and some Pacific Islanders. The EPAS1 gene is a gift from the Denisovan ancestors of modern Tibetans, hidden in that small percentage of DNA.
    And one theory goes that the legends of the Yeti in that part of the world(and wild men throughout SE Asia) is a folk memory of these extinct people. Their DNA also contributed to immune system sequences and even a better sense of smell.

In Europe and the Middle East we also interbred with Neandertals(at least three influxes, compared to one for Denisovans) and they contributed up to 4% novel genes into modern non African folks. Their DNA like the Denisovans seems to be strongest in immune system sequences, with some extra bits in skin. Picking up "local" immune system adaptations was a good thing as we spread throughout our world.

Interestingly areas where both Denisovan and Neandertal DNA is absent are sequences to do with higher brain development and reproduction. These were selected against, so this may explain some differences in those regions and real world intellect/behaviour between them and us. Of the sequences that survived it was a mixed bag. Neandertals had faster blood clotting, which is great for injury(and they got injured a lot. There isn't one male example so far found that didn't suffer trauma), but increases the risk of strokes and heart disease in later life and in modern society. Some sequences may be linked to a susceptibility to depression.

One odd one is higher risk of nicotine addiction of all things. Clearly this adaptation was for something else in the environment, but they're not sure what. My personal theory would be that it's not nicotine or any other environmental response, but underlaying brain chemistry that increases the risk of addiction. IE people with ADHD, addiction in general and even schizophrenics are far more likely to self medicate with nicotine(Ritalin is a therapeutic drug for ADHD, but nicotine gives better results*). Back then ADHD type behaviours like impulsiveness may have been advantageous and those are the echoes we're seeing.

I have 3 odd % of Neandertal DNA, which may well explain some of my ADHD type behaviours and my very strong affinity for nicotine. That's actually quite high for Irish people. Contrary to how we've often been negatively portrayed we've actually one of the lower percentages of Neandertal DNA in Europe.

*Years ago, when smoking was far more widespread and accepted ADHD was considered a condition of childhood, these days when fewer smoke, more adults are seen with the condition.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement