Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My thoughts exactly.... :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,866 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Apparently (according to the news there) today is the first day since the industrial revolution that no coal was burned to produce power in the UK. Pretty amazing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

When you switch to a channel on your tv that is not tuned in and see snow on the screen 1-2% of that snow is created from heat left over from the big bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

When you switch to a channel on your tv that is not tuned in and see snow on the screen 1-2% of that snow is created from heat left over from the big bang.

Big bang, eh? Yeah, I had an old Nordmende like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Westmeath has the lowest high point of the 32 counties - Mullaghmeen at 238m.

Im trying to find out the county with the highest low point, if anyone can help me out - i think its laois

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

retalivity wrote: »
    Westmeath has the lowest high point of the 32 counties - Mullaghmeen at 238m.

Im trying to find out the county with the highest low point, if anyone can help me out - i think its laois

Lowest point: North Slob, County Wexford, Republic of Ireland (-3 m / -10 ft)

Edit: Never mind. Reread the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Only on analogue, not on digital TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

stimpson wrote: »
    Lowest point: North Slob, County Wexford, Republic of Ireland (-3 m / -10 ft)

Edit: Never mind. Reread the question.

Let me save some face by mentioning that North Slob was where the Guinness book of world records was conceived.
    Guinness World Records, known until 2000 as The Guinness Book of Records has its origins in the North Slob. On 4 May 1951, Sir Hugh Beaver, then the managing director of the Guinness Breweries,[4] was on a shooting party in the North Slob when he became involved in an argument over which was the fastest game bird in Europe, the koshin golden plover or the grouse. That evening at Castlebridge House he realised that it was impossible to confirm in reference books whether or not the golden plover was Europe's fastest game bird.[5][6] He knew that there must be numerous other questions debated nightly in pubs in Britain and Ireland, but there was no book with which to settle arguments about records. He realised then that a book supplying the answers to this sort of question might prove popular.

When a person receives a donor heart, the nerve connections that connected the original heart to the central nervous system are broken and aren't connected to the new heart.

The new heart can still pump just fine, but it responds differently to the stress of activity as a denervated heart obviously doesn't get nerve stimulation. This makes the heart slower to respond, as it has to wait for substances called catecholamines (like adrenaline and noradrenaline) to reach it in the bloodstream, signalling the need to adjust the rate it pumps. Heart transplant patients must be very careful to warm up and cool down slowly when it comes to exercise, so the heart has a chance to adjust properly.

Another effect of denervation is that the heart itself feels no pain - an important indication of something wrong. Because of the lack of warning that pain gives, patients need regular investigations to check for issues like heart disease since they can't feel the pain of symptoms.

So if you never want to experience literal heartache, get a transplant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Candie wrote: »
    So if you never want to experience literal heartache, get a transplant.

The boy's got a heart but it beats on his opposite side
    It's a strange phenomenon, the laws of Nature defied.
    He says "It's a chance I had to take...
    I shifted my heart for its safety's sake".
    The boys got a heart but it beats on his opposite

Oh Marion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There is a unit of measurement call a "BUTT", used in brewing, a "BUTT LOAD" is 108 gallons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Senna wrote: »
    There is a unit of measurement call a "BUTT", used in brewing, a "BUTT LOAD" is 108 gallons

Is that more or less than a SH1T LOAD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The battle of Clontarf took place on the 23rd of April 1014 in which Brian Boru was killed and the Vikings defeated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

'Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo' is a grammatically correct sentence (if you accept the American English is grammatically correct of course :))

It uses three meanings of the word buffalo: the city in New York state, the animal aka bison, and the most obscure one - a verb, meaning to bully or intimidate.

So the sentence means: "Bison from Buffalo, New York who are intimidated by other bison in their community also happen to intimidate other bison in their community."

(To break it down: Buffalo buffalo (the animals called "buffalo" from the city of Buffalo) [that] Buffalo buffalo buffalo (that the animals from the city bully) buffalo Buffalo buffalo (are bullying these animals from that city).)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

And how many geansai fulls is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Probably a scatter or a lock or whole hape or a rake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Not sure, but in case anyone is wondering, yer man never found his jumper.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Probably a scatter or a lock or whole hape or a rake.

Nah a rake is more I think.

It's possible to put 5 'and's in a row in a sentence and to be perfectly, grammatically, correct.

maudgonner wrote: »
    'Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo' is a grammatically correct sentence (if you accept the American English is grammatically correct of course :))

That reminds me of this, also grammatically correct sentence:

aship...%20(lol%5B1024x768%5Dwtmk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's possible to put 5 'and's in a row in a sentence and to be perfectly, grammatically, correct.

Jim opens a cafe selling fish and chips. He has a sign made. It arrives and it says "fishandchips". So he rings up the sign company and says:

You need to put more space between "fish" and "and" and "and" and "chips"

black and green olives are from the same plant - just different stages of ripeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Omackeral wrote: »
    Jim opens a cafe selling fish and chips. He has a sign made. It arrives and it says "fishandchips". So he rings up the sign company and says:

You need to put more space between "fish" and "and" and "and" and "chips"

Should that not be... You need to put more space between " fish" and "and" THAN "and" and "chips"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Should that not be... You need to put more space between " fish" and "and" THAN "and" and "chips"

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

There are roughly 3 trillion trees on Earth - about 420 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

thee glitz wrote: »
    There are roughly 3 trillion trees on Earth - about 420 per person.

I wonder how that measures up to say 100 years ago for example.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I wonder how that measures up to say 100 years ago for example.

Nobody knows, as the current census turned up 8 times more than had been previously estimated.

I wonder did they count the 62 in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The battle of Clontarf took place on the 23rd of April 1014 in which Brian Boru was killed and the Vikings defeated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf
    The Battle of Clontarf tok place in Ballybough.

Not a lot of people know that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Candie wrote: »
    That reminds me of this, also grammatically correct sentence:

aship...%20(lol%5B1024x768%5Dwtmk.jpg
    That pic has given me anxiety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

glasso wrote: »
    black and green olives are from the same plant - just different stages of ripeness.

Similarly red peppers are ripened green peppers.

In French a lime is 'citroen vert' which translates as green lemon, although it's obviously a different fruit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement