Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Too late

Don't I know it :D *wants to delete posts but what's the point since they've been quoted* lol

VandC wrote: »
    Don't I know it :D *wants to delete posts but what's the point since they've been quoted* lol

I thought it was a very nice and kind thing to say, and I don't think you should be at all embarrassed. We should all be as nice as that to each other. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Candie wrote:
    I thought it was a very nice and kind thing to say, and I don't think you should be at all embarrassed. We should all be as nice as that to each other.

Thanks Candie. :) agreed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

The phrase "blood is thicker than water" is nearly always used wrongly. Most folk (myself included, for a long time) think it means that family (blood relations) are more important than friends.

But the true quote is "the blood of battle is thicker than the waters of the womb ". Which means the opposite. Those that have shared conflict & turmoil, have forged a friendship stronger than those that have just shared a womb.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Candie wrote: »
    Apologies for clogging up the thread with random things that occur to me.

Dr John Harvey Kellog, inventor of cornflakes and all kinds of dubious therapies practiced in his sanitorium - a precursor to todays spas - was a Seventh Day Adventist and had strong religious views on most things, but especially so on sins of the flesh, more specifically masturbation. A practice he believed weakened both the body and the spirit and he believed that circumcision without anesthetic was as desirable for boys as applying phenol - also known as carbolic acid - to a young girls clitoris was, also without anesthetic.

He also believed that diet played an enormous role in stirring the passions and that spicy food led to an increase in body heat resulting in an occasion of solitary sin, and that only the blandest possible food should be consumed. His friend and co religionist Sylvester Graham agreed, and they each perfected the recipes for Kellogs Corn Flakes and Graham Crackers.

Something to think about over breakfast tomorrow.
    Jesus

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Jeans are banned in North Korea !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

If you want your company logo on a design you have give it to the designer in a vector file like EPS or something I can't save it off your website the DPI is too low.

It will look ****.

Your moniter's RBG is unique to it's make ...and colours of a design can show up differently on each one. What you think your website looks like might not show up like that to your clients unless you check first on diff moniters. Web Safe colors are a sub-setof the whole specturm that display accurately on every moniter. And designers use these...the side effect of this is though ..generally online life ...has a very narrow color scheme and no one seems to notice. But you see fewer colours online than you do in print ...

CMYK is also the primary system for any laser print job...it's a blend of four colours in different % the human eye blends these together ..for the full spectrum.But if you magnify the image you can see the separations...

Ya ..exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Apologies for clogging up the thread with random things that occur to me.

Dr John Harvey Kellog, inventor of cornflakes and all kinds of dubious therapies practiced in his sanitorium - a precursor to todays spas - was a Seventh Day Adventist and had strong religious views on most things, but especially so on sins of the flesh, more specifically masturbation. A practice he believed weakened both the body and the spirit and he believed that circumcision without anesthetic was as desirable for boys as applying phenol - also known as carbolic acid - to a young girls clitoris was, also without anesthetic.

He also believed that diet played an enormous role in stirring the passions and that spicy food led to an increase in body heat resulting in an occasion of solitary sin, and that only the blandest possible food should be consumed. His friend and co religionist Sylvester Graham agreed, and they each perfected the recipes for Kellogs Corn Flakes and Graham Crackers.

Something to think about over breakfast tomorrow.

to continue the topic.
    An employee of his emigrated to Australia and now his company Sanittarium, produces breakfast cereals in Aus and NZ (all very similar to Kellogs stuff too)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitarium_Health_and_Wellbeing_Company

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thargor wrote: »
    The correct phrase is "Anchor's Aweigh" not "Away".

"chocks away" would be far more common than "anchors aweigh / away", no?

If you study philosophy in college apparently you will make a good barrister. Providing you don't mind making people cry sometimes. (which i might mind actually)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Sunfish is the largest bony fish in the oceans.

hqdefault.jpg

Many types of Sharks grow to much greater sizes than Sunfish but they don't have a bony skeleton.

belize-whale-sharks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Not really - boats predate planes by a long way :D

Also depends on where you are. Was on a night out on south coast on England a few years ago and anchors aweigh was used by lots of people before downing shots. Mind you, there was a lot of naval people in the pub I was in lol

Widdershins is counterclock wise.

Deosil is clockwise. Or sunwise.

:)

Pythagoras did not discover pythagorean theorem the pythagoreans where a school of mathematicians logicians and philosophers with a lot of political power ..any time someone discovered something in the school they attributed it to the master ..they even attributed things known long before to the master by accrediting him with it in writing. Pythagorean theorem is merely one instance of this.

The theorem was discovered over 1000 yrs before he was born.
    He actually wrote nothing. But founded a school that was largely a cult.

The pythagorean school also did a lot of music theory research and discovered or used significantly things like harmonic intervals and brought such discoveries into Greek music . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Suckler

Dr John Harvey Kellog, inventor of cornflakes and all kinds of dubious therapies practiced in his sanitorium -

This reminded me of the film -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_to_Wellville_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Pythagoras did not discover pythagorean theorem the pythagoreans where a school of mathematicians logicians and philosophers with a lot of political power ..any time someone discovered something in the school they attributed it to the master ..they even attributed things known long before to the master by accrediting him with it in writing. Pythagorean theorem is merely one instance of this.

The theorem was discovered over 1000 yrs before he was born.
    He actually wrote nothing. But founded a school that was largely a cult.

The pythagorean school also did a lot of music theory research and discovered or used significantly things like harmonic intervals and brought such discoveries into Greek music . :)

One of the main rules of his cult was that you weren't allowed to eat beans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Not on a ship:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Chocs away is what they shout at the start of every Weight Watchers meeting..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Suffering from heartburn ??

Eat three or four yellow Gorse flowers, should stop it quite quickly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulex

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

Kat1170 wrote:
    Suffering from heartburn ??

And milk only makes the problem worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Wardling wrote: »
    And milk only makes the problem worse

It would be a pretty extreme answer to the problem, but since I had my gallbladder removed 17 years ago I haven't had heartburn once. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The An Post Ras is on round ireland at the moment, its full name is the ras tailteann, which refers to the ancient tailteann games of ireland. They predate the ancient Olympics by a thousand years (depending who you talk to) and included events as running, long jump, high jump, hurling, as well as announcing new laws and having a mass arranged marriages.

It is believed there were no bicycles in the original games...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

retalivity wrote: »
    It is believed there were no bicycles in the original games...
    You've never heard of the Ulster Cycle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I pulled!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

What's this thread about ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Socrates thought democracy of the masses was dangerous and basically predicted the likes of Donald Trump would happen. He thought only people educated in politics should be allowed to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

The Tower of London always keeps a minimum of 6 Ravens on the grounds for superstitious reasons. The idea is that if all the Ravens of the Tower were lost or flew away, then the crown would fall and Britain with it. One of their wings are clipped to prevent them flying away.

During the Blitz, only 1 Raven remained. Churchill ordered more to replenish the numbers. The Ravens are enlisted as soldiers of the realm, they are issued attestation cards in the same way as soldiers and police. They are prone to dismissal for disorderly conduct as well.

In 1986, one Raven lost it's appointment to the crown after developing a habit of attacking TV aerials.

A special decree had to be issued.

On Saturday 13th September 1986, Raven George, enlisted 1975, was posted to the Welsh Mountain Zoo. Conduct unsatisfactory, service therefore no longer required

In 1996, two more were dismissed for conduct unbecoming of Tower residents.

Caw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

valoren wrote: »
    The Tower of London always keeps a minimum of 6 Ravens on the grounds for superstitious reasons. The idea is that if all the Ravens of the Tower were lost or flew away, then the crown would fall and Britain with it. One of their wings are clipped to prevent them flying away.

During the Blitz, only 1 Raven remained. Churchill ordered more to replenish the numbers. The Ravens are enlisted as soldiers of the realm, they are issued attestation cards in the same way as soldiers and police. They are prone to dismissal for disorderly conduct as well.

In 1986, one Raven lost it's appointment to the crown after developing a habit of attacking TV aerials.

A special decree had to be issued.

On Saturday 13th September 1986, Raven George, enlisted 1975, was posted to the Welsh Mountain Zoo. Conduct unsatisfactory, service therefore no longer required

In 1996, two more were dismissed for conduct unbecoming of Tower residents.

Caw!

POst of the month! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It takes a man, in a tweed suit, five and a half seconds to fall from the top of big Ben to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Brigadier Sir Nils Olav is a Norwegian Knight and is a member of the Royal Norwegian Guard. He currently resides in Edinburgh Zoo because he's a penguin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement