Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

stimpson wrote: »
    Honey has practically zero water content, but is hydroscopic and will absorb water from the environment. If it's kept in an sealed jar then it won't spoil. Apparently millennia old jars of honey have been found in Egyptian tombs that were still perfectly edible.

Apart from the water content it's highly acidic and contains small amounts of hydrogen peroxide which all play a part in it not being a nice place for bacteria.

I remember our old dog had a flesh eating bug and had a big hole in his leg. You could see the bone and all. The vet told us to change the dressing daily and to put honey on the dressing. Within a few weeks it had healed. Mad thing to see.

I know that manuka honey has been used on really nasty spider bites and on lots of other horrific wounds, I remember looking at 'before' and 'after' pictures, and they were incredible, but even 'regular' honey is very very effective.

I had heard about the honey in Egypt alright, but I also heard of honey jars exploding in cellars, of honey going bad (I don't mean solidify), and of honey found on other archaeological sites having gone rank - I guess it mustn't have been sealed properly, or it must've been found in more humid/wetter countries. If I manage to find a link, I'll post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

New Home wrote: »
    I know that manuka honey has been used on really nasty spider bites and on lots of other horrific wounds, I remember looking at 'before' and 'after' pictures, and they were incredible, but even 'regular' honey is very very effective.

I had heard about the honey in Egypt alright, but I also heard of honey jars exploding in cellars, of honey going bad (I don't mean solidify), and of honey found on other archaeological sites having gone rank - I guess it mustn't have been sealed properly, or it must've been found in more humid/wetter countries. If I manage to find a link, I'll post it.

I used to put honey on spots as a teenager; they would be cleared by morning with it. Not Manuka either! Would still put it on a spot if I got one, or if I had a nasty cut. Love it as a healer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I was going to ask, what is the distinction between something being round and being a sphere? Is a sphere not round?

Round is more of a description isn't it? Circular is a 2D shape, spherical is 3D. Round is just something that's circular or spherical.

Just a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I was going to ask, what is the distinction between something being round and being a sphere? Is a sphere not round?

Round is more of a description isn't it? Circular is a 2D shape, spherical is 3D. Round is just something that's circular or spherical.

Just a guess
    Yeah but I would describe a sphere as round. The original post correcting me was that the earth isn't round, it is, rather, spherical. My original thought was I was missing something in my definition of those two words. I actually checked the definition of round!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

New Home wrote: »

A few years back when I took up beekeeping, I was seeing Manuka honey for sale everywhere, I googled it and found an article something similar to what is here, "At the heart of the scandal: basic maths. According to New Zealand's leading manuka association, 1,800 tonnes a year of the honey are now consumed in the UK each year, out of an estimated 10,000 tonnes globally. Yet production of the genuine stuff is set at just 1,700 tonnes, or the equivalent to more than three million small jars. Unless Britain has somehow managed to secure all of it, there's a lot of fake Manuka on our shelves."

All honey is antibacterial and is medicinally beneficial and has been used down the centuries for all types of wounds and ailments but the real Manuka honey is more special with treating wounds and is used in many hospitals for such. But to get the real Manuka honey, be prepared to pay a high price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Just some figures I've realised most people have no idea of....

Pablo Escobar and his Medellin Cartel killed perhaps 4'000 people during their entire existence.

The war between left-wing guerrillas such as FARC and ELN against the Colombian government and right-wing paramilitaries has killed at least 260'000 people and displaced over six million.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

A few years back when I took up beekeeping, I was seeing Manuka honey for sale everywhere, I googled it and found an article something similar to what is here, "At the heart of the scandal: basic maths. According to New Zealand's leading manuka association, 1,800 tonnes a year of the honey are now consumed in the UK each year, out of an estimated 10,000 tonnes globally. Yet production of the genuine stuff is set at just 1,700 tonnes, or the equivalent to more than three million small jars. Unless Britain has somehow managed to secure all of it, there's a lot of fake Manuka on our shelves."

All honey is antibacterial and is medicinally beneficial and has been used down the centuries for all types of wounds and ailments but the real Manuka honey is more special with treating wounds and is used in many hospitals for such. But to get the real Manuka honey, be prepared to pay a high price.

Think it's the same that Boyne Valley Honey isn't Irish and is made from lots of different honeys. With all the Manuka being sold, there is probably a tiny percentage of real Manuka is each jar.....the rest is just filler honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

FanadMan wrote: »
    Think it's the same that Boyne Valley Honey isn't Irish and is made from lots of different honeys. With all the Manuka being sold, there is probably a tiny percentage of real Manuka is each jar.....the rest is just filler honey.

Not just filler honey but fake honey. Lots of honey marked as being from outside the EU is actually fructose syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

In Syria, the week-end consists of Friday and Sunday off. People work and children go to school on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Not just filler honey but fake honey. Lots of honey marked as being from outside the EU is actually fructose syrup.

Yeah like they would fill it out with table sugar if they could devise a way to do it even if it was only a tiny percentage. Can never understand how ppl are so gullible to buy into this ridiculous fad. Like Aleo Vera juice. Wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Just some figures I've realised most people have no idea of....

Pablo Escobar and his Medellin Cartel killed perhaps 4'000 people during their entire existence.

The war between left-wing guerrillas such as FARC and ELN against the Colombian government and right-wing paramilitaries has killed at least 260'000 people and displaced over six million.

Some others about Mr Escobar;

At his height, it was estimated he was earning approx 420 million US dollars a week
    He had so much money, it was tricky finding places to keep it - a lot was buried in fields, and abandoned farm buildings, and as a result they used to write off ~10% a year from either just forgetting where it was buried, or it getting destroyed (by water, or rats eating it(!)). Its estimated these losses could be in the region of $2 billion
    Another factor in the sheer volume of cash, was keeping it neatly bundled together - its estimated they spent $2500 a week on rubber bands for this purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Pablo obviously had the money to indulge whatever whims he wanted and one of those was to have hippos roaming the grounds of one of his mansions. When his reign came to an end his mansion fell into disrepair and the hippos escaped, the Columbian countryside and the lack of any natural predators makes for a hippos paradise and they have flourished. So much so that there is fast becoming a serious wild hippo problem in Columbia!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

In Syria, the week-end consists of Friday and Sunday off. People work and children go to school on a Saturday.

Not to belittle all the other terrible stuff going on in that country but jaybus that's awful sh**e to not have your weekend as two days together! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The work berserk comes from the Old Norse legendary warriors called Berserker who appeared to reach a trance-like state of fury during battle.

To run amok comes from Malay, and describes a scenario in which somebody with no previous inclination to violence suddenly became extremely violent and went on a rampage of destruction, attacking others and themselves. The Malay believed this was due to an evil spirit that had taken them over, and if they were not killed while running amok (which was usual), they were generally treated without any ill will afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

jobr wrote: »
    Not to belittle all the other terrible stuff going on in that country but jaybus that's awful sh**e to not have your weekend as two days together! :eek:

I know ! I was thinking that so very strongly when I was told but I couldn't really say : "oh, that's rough" :D
    I wonder is it something to do with maybe trying to keep Jewish people out of the country, or if it's a way to control people, as in, they can't really go far from home when they've only one day off at a time.
    Couldn't ask that either :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Pablo obviously had the money to indulge whatever whims he wanted and one of those was to have hippos roaming the grounds of one of his mansions. When his reign came to an end his mansion fell into disrepair and the hippos escaped, the Columbian countryside and the lack of any natural predators makes for a hippos paradise and they have flourished. So much so that there is fast becoming a serious wild hippo problem in Columbia!

I think you mean Colombia.

They only live in the immediate surroundings of Hacienda Napoles. They could easily all be killed, as locals want, but a lot of people are horrified at the thought of shooting the poor hippos.

One of the - if not the - most successful sea pirates of all time was a Chinese woman who started off working in a floating brothel and then eventually built up a network and fleets of pirates so large that she won great battles against the navy of the Chinese - British - and Portuguese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

Have you ever considered that there might be something in the rumours that the US government killed JFK, or that the US Military accidentally created AIDS while researching biological weapons at the US Army's Fort Detrick research centre?

Congratulations, you have unwittingly been duped by Soviet propaganda efforts.
    After the fall of the Soviet Union, the KGB admitted that they created these propaganda rumours to create divisions within American public opinion. The AIDS rumour was known as Operation INFEKTION, and was disseminated into public consumption by Russian born East German scientist, Dr. Jakob Segal:
    In 1992, KGB Director Yevgeny Primakov admitted that the KGB was behind the newspaper articles claiming that AIDS was created by the U.S. government.[25] Segal's role was exposed by KGB defector Vasili Mitrokhin in the Mitrokhin Archive. The 1999 book Stasi: The Untold Story of the East German Secret Police[26] describes how the Stasi cooperated with the KGB to spread the story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_INFEKTION

Soviet propaganda and disinformation during the Cold War remains unsurpassed in terms of budget, manpower, and effectiveness.

You can check what other major operations and covert influences were taking place by examining the Mitrokin Archive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitrokhin_Archive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Have you ever considered that there might be something in the rumours that the US government killed JFK, or that the US Military accidentally created AIDS while researching biological weapons at the US Army's Fort Detrick research centre?

Congratulations, you have unwittingly been duped by Soviet propaganda efforts.
    After the fall of the Soviet Union, the KGB admitted that they created these propaganda rumours to create divisions within American public opinion. The AIDS rumour was known as Operation INFEKTION, and was disseminated into public consumption by Russian born East German scientist, Dr. Jakob Segal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_INFEKTION

Soviet propaganda and disinformation during the Cold War remains unsurpassed in terms of budget, manpower, and effectiveness.

You can check what other major operations and covert influences were taking place by examining the Mitrokin Archive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitrokhin_Archive

Tired of Ancient Aliens on The "History" Channel, the Soviets spread some guff about that also as an attack against religion.
    http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/the-soviet-search-for-ancient-astronauts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's no real reason to filter out pollen from honey, unless you want to hide where it came from. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

One day ends and another begins at midnight. But this is only possible with good clocks. In ancient times one day ended and the next began at sunset, ie in the evening. This is why New Years Eve is on Dec 31st, and Christmas eve on 24th, etc. They are the evening of the "following" day. A day consisted of evening, night, morning and day.

And when exactly is sunset? When you cant tell red thread from blue thread.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

5bsnpeum23.jpg

I was going to post this in the Cool Pics thread, but I think it'll fit here just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Australian James Christopher Harrison is known as The Man with the Golden blood.

He went under surgery at 14 and required multiple blood transfusions, when he recovered he vowed to become a blood donor as soon as legally able. After he started donating at 18 it was discovered that he has unusually strong and persistent antibodies against the D Rh group antigen, which allowed the development of a treatment for Rhesus Disease (a potentially fatal hemolytic disease affecting developing fetuses) and eventually the development of a vaccine for the disease Anti-D.

He made his 1000th plasma donation in 2011 and as a direct result of his donations an estimated 2.4 million babies have been saved thus far...wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

osarusan wrote: »
    The work berserk comes from the Old Norse legendary warriors called Berserker who appeared to reach a trance-like state of fury during battle.

To run amok comes from Malay, and describes a scenario in which somebody with no previous inclination to violence suddenly became extremely violent and went on a rampage of destruction, attacking others and themselves. The Malay believed this was due to an evil spirit that had taken them over, and if they were not killed while running amok (which was usual), they were generally treated without any ill will afterwards.

I thought berserk came from a Norse reference to Saxons who went into battle 'revved up " and bare chested - berserk !

begbysback wrote: »
    Darkness doesn't actually exist, it is merely an absence of light

A tumbleweed literally went across my phone screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

osarusan wrote: »

A bit similar to how Cuchulainn used to lose the plot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

begbysback wrote: »
    Darkness doesn't actually exist, it is merely an absence of light
    Oh yeah ?

Explain Dark Suckers then :cool:

And when exactly is sunset? When you cant tell red thread from blue thread.
    There's only ever been one sunset and it's been going around the globe for billions of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

clawback07 wrote: »
    I thought berserk came from a Norse reference to Saxons who went into battle 'revved up " and bare chested - berserk !

Bear chested. As in fur of bear. I thought it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Bear chested. As in fur of bear. I thought it was!

Things I didn't know ; I didn't know I didn't know ancient Norse - I now know I didn't know and still don't know ancient Norse !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement