Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Oh yeah ?

Explain Dark Suckers then :cool:

Obviously, it's the absence of Light Suckers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nuuk is the capital of Greenland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Oh yeah ?

Explain Dark Suckers then :cool:

Candles are hot because of the dark they suck, rather than the heat they emit?

Yea right

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Michael Phelps holds the record for individual Olympic titles with 13. He only surpassed the previous holder in 2016. That was Leonidas of Rhodes, who competed in the three running events at four Olympic Games between 164BC and 152BC, winning all 12. He held the record of most successful individual Olympian for 2168 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Conchir wrote: »
    Michael Phelps holds the record for individual Olympic titles with 13. He only surpassed the previous holder in 2016. That was Leonidas of Rhodes, who competed in the three running events at four Olympic Games between 164BC and 152BC, winning all 12. He held the record of most successful individual Olympian for 2168 years.

Was he ever drug tested though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was he ever drug tested though?

Being exhumed next week man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Leonidas. is he the guy the chocolates are named after? that'll be the thing i didn't know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Nuuk is the capital of Greenland.

I have Nuuk in my weather app to see what's going on with their crazy weather - it is one of the coldest cities in the world.

Today is not great with sleet predicted and max 6. Balmy on Monday with a max of 9, but nukkians should make the most of that as the max is 4 on Wednesday.

Long day though - sunset at 23:50

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

begbysback wrote: »
    Candles are hot because of the dark they suck, rather than the heat they emit?

Yea right
    Light a new candle with a match and then blow it out.

Notice how the wick change from white to black, notice also the match is now black too ....

Look at an old incandescent bulb. They get darker over time and eventually fill up and stop working.

Energy efficient bulbs work in a different way , yes they can fill up with darkness but it takes a lot longer because they export darkness into the electric cables instead of keeping it in the easily replaceable bulbs. Lookup Dirty Electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

When americans have a peanut and jelly sandwich it is actually peanut butter and jam.
    Not jelly like the wobbly stuff which I learned this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I have a glass jar up my ass. I will give it back to the neighbors later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Winterlong wrote: »
    When americans have a peanut and jelly sandwich it is actually peanut butter and jam.

Post moved to "Really obvious things I should have known"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Senna wrote: »
    Post moved to "Really obvious things I should have known"

I am too honest sometimes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Winterlong wrote: »

Not true. The Americans have a different product to jam known as jelly which is made from fruit juice that is like jam but does not have any solids like seeds or fruit particles.
    Where as what we call jelly is made from animal collagen and flavouring. They also have this but know it as different from jelly they use in sandwiches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I have a glass jar up my ass. I will give it back to the neighbors later.

Ok, you have my attention....

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Not true. The Americans have a different product to jam known as jelly which is made from fruit juice that is like jam but does not have any solids like seeds or fruit particles.
    Where as what we call jelly is made from animal collagen and flavouring. They also have this but know it as different from jelly they use in sandwiches.

And what we call jelly, they call jell-o.

A PB&J is clear jam and peanut butter, and does taste better than you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Candie wrote: »
    And what we call jelly, they call jell-o.

A PB&J is clear jam and peanut butter, and does taste better than you'd imagine.

Not quite Jell-o is a brand name like saying hoover

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Not quite Jell-o is a brand name like saying hoover

I know it's a brand, but it's still what they call it.

In Arizona's Valley Of The Sun, near the town of Apache Junction, lie the Superstition Mountains where in the 1800s a man called Jacob Waitz allegedly found a huge goldmine, so magnificent and gleaming with deposits that it would take thousands of miners thousands of years to exhaust it. Just after finding this mine, Jacob took ill and died after telling only one person the whereabouts of the gold, but not it's exact location. That would be too easy.

13903145935_2cb5063389_z.jpg

Hundreds, probably thousands of people tried to find the gold, many dying after being caught on the mountains at night and no trace of the 'Dutchmans Lost Mine' was ever found. Jacob was German, but foreign is foreign. The Superstition mountains are said to be haunted by those who perished in search of the Gold.

But the Superstition mountains are also home to another legend. Local Apache tribes tell the story of how a fireball was sent from the sun many thousands of years ago to kill the giant men/animals - the Jian-du-pids - that threatened the peaceful tribes of Sun Valley, and those tribes were taken inside the Superstition mountains to keep them safe and this is where they live still, the walls of their underground caverns holding the golden gleam of the sun to remind them of how they were saved from the giants. These mountain people are called the Tuar-Tums - the little people - and they protect the gold from any who would try to take it, by stealing their breath under cover of night.

The first thing I thought of when I heard that were Leprechauns, little people who protect the crocks of gold at the ends of the rainbow. I wonder how many other peoples have similar legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

clawback07 wrote: »
    I thought berserk came from a Norse reference to Saxons who went into battle 'revved up " and bare chested - berserk !

Bedlam or "scene of mad confusion" comes from the colloquial pronunciation of "Hospital of Saint Mary of Bethlehem " in London, founded 1247 and converted to a state lunatic asylum on dissolution of the monasteries in 1547.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Sudance

Contrary to what they teach in school....the internal angles of a triangle can be greater than 180

The colour (of something) isn't it's actual colour...it's every colour except the one you see it as being :) E.g. a red apple is every other colour except red..

Glass isn't a solid, it lquid, it just has very high viscosity.

if you look at very very old glass windows (over 100 years old e.g.) you might see that the bottom of the pane is thicker than the top

The believe that a bath/sink drain will empty clockwise in northern hemisphere and anticlockwise in the southern hemisphere is a incorrect...it's random in both hemispheres..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Sudance wrote: »
    The believe that a bath/sink drain will empty clockwise in northern hemisphere and anticlockwise in the southern hemisphere is a incorrect...it's random in both hemispheres..
    I don't think that's entirely true; it's just that the coriolis effect is tiny at that level, and is outweighed by stuff like the way the plug is removed or even where in the sink it is.

It's like saying a falling apple isn't affected by the moon's gravity, but it is. Just imperceptibly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Contrary to what they teach in school....the internal angles of a triangle can be greater than 180

The colour (of something) isn't it's actual colour...it's every colour except the one you see it as being :) E.g. a red apple is every other colour except red..

I don't see how either of those could be true ...?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't see how either of those could be true ...?
    I think the point with the colours is that an object absorbs colour from the spectrum (i.e. light), and reflects back some of it. What's reflected back is the colour we see. So green grass has actually absorbed all light except for the exact shade of green that we view it as - because that's the part of the spectrum that's reflected back to our eyes.

Maybe a bit loose with the wording, but there is truth to it.

Not sure on the triangles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Glass isn't a solid, it lquid, it just has very high viscosity.

if you look at very very old glass windows (over 100 years old e.g.) you might see that the bottom of the pane is thicker than the top

This was caused by the way the pane was made, glass is most definitely a solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

How? I'd like to see that explained.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Something to do with infinity, or is it something more tangible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Would be better with more explanation. Your first claim is I think referring to non Euclidean geometry. Maybe be clearer?

I totally disagree on the second point. A red apple isn't any colour other than red because it absorbs every other wavelength of light. That's redefining colour. The red apple is red precisely because it reflects the red wavelength of light when illuminated with a white light.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement