Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Building, not launching, them.
    At present the UK is allowed to build the Galileo GPS satellites

But that is no longer certain after Brexit
    there are restrictions on "third countries" working on classified EU information and technologies - which Galileo incorporates, specifically in the form of PRS.

Actually the big problem will be EU data protection vs UK Snoopers Charter. This will affect many web businesses. And today most businesses are web businesses because of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's well-known that Kelsey Grammar of Cheers and Frasier fame was the voice behind the character Sideshow Bob in The Simpsons.

Maybe less well-known is that in Simpsons episodes which covered Sideshow Bob's life and family in more detail, Bob's brother and father were voiced by David Hyde Pierce and John Mahoney respectively (the actors who played Frasier's brother and father).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

osarusan wrote: »
    It's well-known that Kelsey Grammar of Cheers and Frasier fame was the voice behind the character Sideshow Bob in The Simpsons.

Maybe less well-known is that in Simpsons episodes which covered Sideshow Bob's life and family in more detail, Bob's brother and father were voiced by David Hyde Pierce and John Mahoney respectively (the actors who played Frasier's brother and father).

Actually... we did know. :D;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103722923&postcount=1763

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

New Home wrote: »

Oops! Ah well, first time it's to me happened on the thread.

Can't wow them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

The first Locomotive delivered by Airplane was by an Antonov AN-124 from London Ontario to Dublin.

It weighed 112 tonnes

420794.JPG

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48073612@N04/5124447894/in/photostream/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

redcup342 wrote: »
    The first Locomotive delivered by Airplane was by an Antonov AN-124 from London Ontario to Dublin.

It weighed 112 tonnes

That was brilliant - watched the whole lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

200,000 Irish soldiers fought in ww1 for the British army. while only 1,600 fought in the 1916 rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

200,000 Irish soldiers fought in ww1 for the British army. while only 1,600 fought in the 1916 rising.

97% of irish people have a grandparent in that 1,600, if my discussions with people the length and breadth of the country over the years are anything to go by...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you mean that 1600 Irishmen fought for the British Army in the Easter rising?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

retalivity wrote: »
    97% of irish people have a grandparent in that 1,600, if my discussions with people the length and breadth of the country over the years are anything to go by...

Mine did.....have my grandfathers medals ....one has a bar across to signify he was in active service then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

making-of-the-worlds-first-camera.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

^^^^^

apBPGe9_700b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

^^^^^

So it was the Worlds First Selfie :P

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Esel wrote: »
    Do you mean that 1600 Irishmen fought for the British Army in the Easter rising?

No 1600 rebels in the gpo, Bolands mill and various places across Dublin and the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

No 1600 rebels in the gpo, Bolands mill and various places across Dublin and the country.

Never realised it was so little.

Big Nasty wrote: »

We were British for a long time before that.hundreds of years.
    That's why 200,000 Irish fought for the Brits in ww1
    The rising didn't even recieve great support at the beginning.

It's only when the brits shot Connolly and the rest in kilmanhim after the rising that support really increased.

It was a big mistake shooting them as they made marters out of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Big Nasty wrote: »

We were British for a long time before that.hundreds of years.
    That's why 200,000 Irish fought for the Brits in ww1
    The rising didn't even recieve great support at the beginning.

It's only when the brits shot Connolly and the rest in kilmanhim after the rising that support really increased.

It was a big mistake shooting them as they made marters out of em.
    The concept of Britishness in the sense you are using it here really only came into being in the 1700s, at the very earliest. And at that time it was very, very closely bound up with Protestantism. It would be completely anachronistic to say Irish people had been British for hundreds of years before 1916. That's even if you accept that they were British in 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's important to note that that figure of 200'000 includes northern Protestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Talking of those days. Something I didn't know until recently - and this may be just me - was that the black n tans were an adjunct of the RIC not the British army. The British army in ireland was mostly Irish. So was the RIC but attacks had depleted the ranks - mostly people just giving up their posts not killed - and the tans were the replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Michael Jackson didn't read or write music notation. He'd 'sing' every note of every instrument of his songs to his musicians to learn.

See also: The Beatles, Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, Slash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Turkmenistan has a hole in the ground that's been on fire for 4 decades!
    1920px-Darvasa_gas_crater_panorama.jpg

Centralia, Pennsylvania was once a town of 1000 people but was largely abandoned in 1980 after a fire was started in 1962 to burn out a landfill. Unfortunately the landfill was also a strip-mine connected to a maze of abandoned mining tunnels. Although the fire was extinguished above ground, it has been burning under the town centre for 55 years. It's estimated that there is enough coal in the mine to keep the fire burning for another 250 years. The current population of Centralia is 7, holdouts left from the the time the town was abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

blastman wrote: »
    The current population of Centralia is 7, holdouts left from the the time the town was abandoned.

I'd say their heating bills are very manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Talking of those days. Something I didn't know until recently - and this may be just me - was that the black n tans were an adjunct of the RIC not the British army. The British army in ireland was mostly Irish. So was the RIC but attacks had depleted the ranks - mostly people just giving up their posts not killed - and the tans were the replacements.

And hence didn't generally operate in Dublin, as the RIC didn't. Dublin Metropolitan Police did, who survived (briefly) after independence and weren't particularly pro-union towards the end in general either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The Kola Superdeep Borehole in Russia is the deepest artificial borehole ever drilled at 12,262 metres deep. It was originally planned to drill to 15,000 metres but they ran into temperatures far in excess of what they had expected (180 deg C at 12,00 m as opposed to 100 deg). They estimated that temperatures at 15,000 metres would exceed 300 degrees and the drill bit would not operate at that temperature. Drilling started in 1979 and finished in 1992. They made it about a third of the way through the earths crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

stimpson wrote: »
    The Kola Superdeep Borehole in Russia is the deepest artificial borehole ever drilled at 12,262 metres deep. It was originally planned to drill to 15,000 metres but they ran into temperatures far in excess of what they had expected (180 deg C at 12,00 m as opposed to 100 deg). They estimated that temperatures at 15,000 metres would exceed 300 degrees and the drill bit would not operate at that temperature. Drilling started in 1979 and finished in 1992. They made it about a third of the way through the earths crust.

I'd really like to say that that's a boring fact, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Allinall wrote: »
    I'd really like to say that that's a boring fact, but....

I found it interesting....

I found it interesting....
    It was deep anyway. Too many posts here only scratch the surface.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Unfortunately it failed to get to the heart of the matter.

New Home wrote: »
    Unfortunately it failed to get to the heart of the matter.
    Yeah it was just heating up when they stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I won't bother me hole in future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement