Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jthreehats

The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are no locks on the Suez Canal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The '&' for 'and' is an Ampersand.

~ is a Tilde.

¶ the paragraph mark is called a Pilcrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Waltzing Ma~ :p

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

111,111,111 X 111,111,111

=

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

111,111,111 X 111,111,111

=

Yeah, sorry but we knew that one too. :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103889554&postcount=1918

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

New Home wrote: »

Balls.

Roundabouts might be a part of everyday life in Europe, but they barely existed in the USA until relatively recently. In 1995 there were less than 15 roundabouts in the entire US, but things have started to change. Over 3,000 roundabouts have been built in the US in the last decade, in spite of resistance from Americans themselves who find them hard to fathom since they have such limited-to-zero experience of them.

Many States are pushing for the construction of more roundabouts since they cost a fraction of what traffic lights do to maintain, but it still doesn't make them popular. One town in Pennsylvania were notified of plans to build a roundabout (also called a traffic circle in the US), and managed to get several thousand signatures on a petition objection to it in a matter of weeks.

Three thousand traffic circles in a decade sounds like a lot but when you consider there are nearly thirty three thousand roundabouts in France, Americans probably needn't give in to the panic just yet.

Traffic circle panic has even been partly blamed on this old movie!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I can't remember if it was the US version of Top Gear or a different programme, but they tried to compare the amount of traffic that could go through a crossroad with no lights to that that could go through a roundabout, and they were shocked by how much more efficient the roundabouts were (it's ages since I saw it, but I think they said roundabouts were a third more efficient than 'normal' crossroads). :cool: As long as people use them correctly, obviously. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

7up is made out of ethinol, the ingredients are on the side, just broken down into their elements.

The upset tummy thing was true in the 80's.. Not now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The Americans are pretty good at handling four way stops. That said the fact that you have to (in theory) come to a full stop clearly is going to be slower..

Edit:It was myth busters that found the difference. Although 4 way stops were fairly efficient compared to lights or police directed traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApF9aBURQWM&feature=share

The Americans are pretty good at handling four way stops. That said the fact that you have to (in theory) come to a full stop clearly is going to be slower.

Yes, that's exactly what they found too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

When I first moved to America I was living in a town that recently had roundabouts put in, and I can confirm they don't know how to use them. Many people treat them like a four way stop, and nobody knows how to indicate on them. In Texas now and there's none of them, but they would really benefit, the traffic build up at lights is chronic at busy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Candie wrote: »
    Roundabouts might be a part of everyday life in Europe, but they barely existed in the USA until relatively recently. In 1995 there were less than 15 roundabouts in the entire US, but things have started to change. Over 3,000 roundabouts have been built in the US in the last decade, in spite of resistance from Americans themselves who find them hard to fathom since they have such limited-to-zero experience of them.

Many States are pushing for the construction of more roundabouts since they cost a fraction of what traffic lights do to maintain, but it still doesn't make them popular. One town in Pennsylvania were notified of plans to build a roundabout (also called a traffic circle in the US), and managed to get several thousand signatures on a petition objection to it in a matter of weeks.

Three thousand traffic circles in a decade sounds like a lot but when you consider there are nearly thirty three thousand roundabouts in France, Americans probably needn't give in to the panic just yet.

Half of the worlds roundabouts are in France (about 30,000).

The other half are in Ballycoolin.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

William Hill, the bookmaker, was a Black and Tan when he was 19 or so. He was stationed in Mallow, North Cork. Apparently his posting was largely uneventful. He grew fond of the town and came back to visit a number of times in later life as a very wealthy man and wrote of being well received there even though the locals knew he had been a tan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Candie wrote: »

We have the best of both worlds here - roundabouts with traffic lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

You can eat your own sh!t and it won't make you sick because it contains your own bactaria. You can drink anyones p!ss and not get sick because p!ss is sterile. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

When I first moved to America I was living in a town that recently had roundabouts put in, and I can confirm they don't know how to use them. Many people treat them like a four way stop, and nobody knows how to indicate on them. In Texas now and there's none of them, but they would really benefit, the traffic build up at lights is chronic at busy times.
    Something you didn't know about something you thought other people didn't know!

There is at least one roundabout in Texas; to be precise, at the junction of La Salle Avenue and the tellingly-named Circle Road in Waco, Tx. It was there when I visited Waco, oh, going on thirty years ago. The locals had no clue how to use it; they tended to go around it in whichever direction offered the shortest route to the exit they wanted. And, to compound the chaos, there was a ice-cream parlour in the middle, so pedestrians were constantly trying to cross the road to get to it. It was chaos.

Google maps tells me that the ice-cream parlour is gone, and the entrances have been redesigned to make it very difficult to enter the roundabout in the wrong direction. But the roundabout is still there.

New Home wrote: »
    I can't remember if it was the US version of Top Gear or a different programme, but they tried to compare the amount of traffic that could go through a crossroad with no lights to that that could go through a roundabout, and they were shocked by how much more efficient the roundabouts were (it's ages since I saw it, but I think they said roundabouts were a third more efficient than 'normal' crossroads). :cool: As long as people use them correctly, obviously. :rolleyes:
    That was a very small, tight junction as I recall. Try what would be a large roundabout (2 lanes from 4 directions) doing a 40way stop. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Conversely there is only one STOP sign in the entire city of Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Conversely there is only one STOP sign in the entire city of Paris.
    Which I imagine is roundly ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I've been told, there was a time, up to about thirty years ago in France, the motorist entering the roundabout had the right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Rules Of Champs Elysees Roundabout:

Point Car In Direction You Want To Go
    Press Accelerator
    Close Eyes
    Hope For The Best

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I've been told, there was a time, up to about thirty years ago in France, the motorist entering the roundabout had the right of way.

In Paris only, cars on the roundabout have to yield to cars arriving on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

In Paris only, cars on the roundabout have to yield to cars arriving on the right.

I drove in France around 1985 (not in Paris) and the law was person on roundabout had the right of way, but a lot of the French just ignored the law change and just drove straight on to the roundabout.

I didn't realise it was still law in Paris.....confusing to say the least 🇫🇷 .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

In Paris, cars on the roundabout arriving on the right are going the wrong way! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In theory all Catholic males over the age of 21 are eligible to be elected Pope. One does not have to be an ordained member of the Church.

Obviously in practice the chances of this occurring in the modern era are slim to none.

Egs of lay Popes in history. Leo VIII, Benedict VIII, Callixtus III.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    In Paris, cars on the roundabout arriving on the right are going the wrong way! :eek:

The entrance to the roundabout is on the right.

Traffic comes from the left because they drive on the right hand side. I don't know if it's still the case, but in France they used to have different rules regarding right of way on the roundabouts, so that people already on the roundabouts had to give right of way to cars approaching it on their right. Bizarre, to say the least.

EDIT: I've just realised that Eisenberg said the same thing earlier on - sorry Eisenberg!

• Advertisement

eisenberg1 wrote: »

Is it not less?

Maybe I'm imagining it, or it was somewhere else but I remember every car horn in the world blaring at my Dad when he mucked up a roundabout somewhere!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement