Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

In Paris only, cars on the roundabout have to yield to cars arriving on the right.

Maybe it was Paris. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Candie wrote: »
    Is it not less?

Maybe I'm imagining it, or it was somewhere else but I remember every car horn in the world blaring at my Dad when he mucked up a roundabout somewhere!

Is your Da Clark Griswold? 😂

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Is your Da Clark Griswold? 😂

I went around the Walkinstown roundabout in Dublin about six times with my dad at the wheel once, so he's not Griswald but he's pretty damn close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

A child's got more bones than a grown ups got

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Not sure if this has been mentioned (it's a long thread) but never eat a polar bear's liver. It contains lethal amounts of Vitamin A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

xalot wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned (it's a long thread) but never eat a polar bear's liver. It contains lethal amounts of Vitamin A.

That's tonight's tea ruined !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

david75 wrote: »
    A child's got more bones than a grown ups got

Everyone knows that, it's a natural law.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

That's tonight's tea ruined !

Switch to Grizzly liver, it's the polar opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Is it not less?

Maybe I'm imagining it, or it was somewhere else but I remember every car horn in the world blaring at my Dad when he mucked up a roundabout somewhere!

It could be less. On reflection it was probably 1990 when I was there, and i was advised to extra careful at roundabouts due to the recent(ish) law change.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    It could be less. On reflection it was probably 1990 when I was there, and i was advised to extra careful at roundabouts due to the recent(ish) law change.

I was only three then so it's probably somewhere else I'm thinking of, if not Paris. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The other half are in Ballycoolin.

I work in Ballycoolin and can verify this fact to be 100% correct!

Not only that, the road markings on a lot of them are new spiral pattern, which I have not seen on any other roundabout in the country, and no one knows how to use them properly (except me of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I work in Ballycoolin and can verify this fact to be 100% correct!

Not only that, the road markings on a lot of them are new spiral pattern, which I have not seen on any other roundabout in the country, and no one knows how to use them properly (except me of course).

Ignore the markings and hit it as fast as possible, clipping the apexes?

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

stimpson wrote: »
    Ignore the markings and hit it as fast as possible, clipping the apexes?

Me too.

Got it in one:P

Got it in one:P

Ha. Relevant username is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

The '&' for 'and' is an Ampersand.

~ is a Tilde.

¶ the paragraph mark is called a Pilcrow.

Did you know that your username is Bulgarian for 'shameful act'?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

On the subject of traffic, in Drachten in Holland, they took away all their road markings and road signs in the town centre and found it made a big difference to road safety. People were too confused to drive quickly, and ended up being much more careful and courteous. Bit more on it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

daveyeh wrote: »
    Did you know that your username is Bulgarian for 'shameful act'?

It's not actually.

The Bulgarian for shameful act is sramno deyanie.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

cdeb wrote: »
    On the subject of traffic, in Drachten in Holland, they took away all their road markings and road signs in the town centre and found it made a big difference to road safety. People were too confused to drive quickly, and ended up being much more careful and courteous. Bit more on it here

That's very much down to culture, I'd say. I'd like to see them trying something like that in places like Italy or Russia, for instance. I'd say the results would be much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

It's not actually.

The Bulgarian for shameful act is sramno deyanie.

Well it is if you want to get all 'factual' about it.

But, when said in a hurried, embarrassed, mildly intoxicated rural accent, sounds exactly like 'Anders Shy Aircraft'. :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I went around the Walkinstown roundabout in Dublin about six times with my dad at the wheel once, so he's not Griswald but he's pretty damn close!
    In the UK you must leave the roundabout as you are only allowed go around three times

There's a magic roundabout in Swindon, made out of roundabouts with one that goes backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

In the UK you must leave the roundabout as you are only allowed go around three times

There's a magic roundabout in Swindon, made out of roundabouts with one that goes backwards.

Know an Irish guy that went around a roundabout in the UK the wrong way....twice! He wasn't drunk or stoned, just a wee bit slow. Thankfully it was in the middle of the night. We were screaming at him but he only copped on when another car tried to join the roundabout. His solution? Stop, reverse on the roundabout and drive out the correct exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

For reference

2602b3e17f11712d9cea9a725b145516.jpg

The humanity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Back and neck pain are common ailments in humans because we are still in the evolutionary process of going from walking on all fours to standing upright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

retalivity wrote: »
    For reference

2602b3e17f11712d9cea9a725b145516.jpg

The humanity

Is there only 5 exits and entries, why make it so complicated?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I presume it comes back to the idea that roundabouts are more efficient than traffic lights?

Senna wrote: »

Cars that take the first exit don't hit the main roundabout which reduces congestion on it. Apparently it's very efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Senna wrote: »

The cars move anti-clockwise on the inner roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

It's bewildering and slightly terrifying the first time you approach it but actually it makes a lot of sense when you are using it

I think there's also one in Hemel hempstead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

There was a guy in this country who was driving home pissed when he missed his exit at the roundabout. He reversed back on the roundabout and smashed into another car coming around. He put his head down on the stearing wheel and said 'im fcuked now' the other guy didnt out but called the guards. The gardai arrived a few minutes later and spoke to the other guy first. Then one of them came up to the front car. "Listen pal just going to let you head on, this guy back here is off his head. Reckons you were reversing around the roundabout"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

In international shipping, the documents are so critical to identifying the goods to all kinds of authorities, agencies and other interested parties that that the shipment is legally considered to be of documents, accompanied by goods, not the other way round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement