Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Dramatik wrote: »
    I'll go get my coat so...

No need to be so......Dramatik

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Studies have shown that converting a signalized intersection to a roundabout reduces severe crashes by 78 percent and overall crashes by 48 percent.

Did these studies include cyclists in their analyses?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/three-danger-roundabouts-will-be-axed-in-move-to-boost-cycle-safety-a3573046.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The groups of Spanish students speaking at high volume, high speed on public transport are mostly discussing the Kardashian's.
    I asked a 10 yr old Irish girl who's been raised in Spain since she was 2 yesterday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Didn't think they could be more annoying, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

We were British for a long time before that.hundreds of years.
    That's why 200,000 Irish fought for the Brits in ww1
    The rising didn't even recieve great support at the beginning.

It's only when the brits shot Connolly and the rest in kilmanhim after the rising that support really increased.

It was a big mistake shooting them as they made marters out of em.

What? Most of the Irish fighting for the British in WW1 did so out of economic necessity since the British army went around the country forcing closed or paying employers to close their doors so the young men that worked had no place to go to feed their families but the army,its another type of conscription.

I know it happened my own great grandfather from roscommon...

The rising didn't receive great support from the editors of the newspapers around Dublin,most of whom would have been of the Anglo Irish upper middle class set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The groups of Spanish students speaking at high volume, high speed on public transport are mostly discussing the Kardashian's.
    I asked a 10 yr old Irish girl who's been raised in Spain since she was 2 yesterday.

A very bright girl who was only 2 yesterday and she can already speak two languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm not sure about everyone else but I remember in Irish history at school we were taught that Brian Boru saved Ireland from the Vikings.
    But parts of Dublin were practically a Viking kingdom, they never left after the battle of Clontarf and Vikings fought on both sides of the Battle of Clontarf.
    Besides Brian had his eye on the Northen UiNiall's kingdom, couldn't you say his skirmishes were almost like a civil war?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Ipso wrote: »
    I'm not sure about everyone else but I remember in Irish history at school we were taught that Brian Boru saved Ireland from the Vikings.
    But parts of Dublin were practically a Viking kingdom, they never left after the battle of Clontarf and Vikings fought on both sides of the Battle of Clontarf.
    Besides Brian had his eye on the Northen UiNiall's kingdom, couldn't you say his skirmishes were almost like a civil war?

The main thing I learned from history in university was that you could fill a warehouse with the amount of stuff we were taught was history in school that turned out to be total nonsense.

Incidentally an interesting fact about Viking Dublin is that it was primarily a slave city. It hosted a very large slave market where both Irish and foreign slaves were traded and sent away to places as far apart as Iceland (where a huge percentage of the population has Irish ancestry as a result) and Anatolia, modern Turkey.

Certainly any notion that the Gaelic chieftains were in a grand battle to protect themselves from the invading Vikings is nonsense, the Vikings were in Ireland for centuries and were just one more force (actually several forces) in a very complex system of alliances and enmities which gave rise to the Battle of Clontarf.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The word 'quare' meaning 'very' is one of only a handful of surviving terms from the extinct Norman dialect of Forth and Bargy (Yola) in Wexford.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Incidentally an interesting fact about Viking Dublin is that it was primarily a slave city. It hosted a very large slave market where both Irish and foreign slaves were traded and sent away to places as far apart as Iceland (where a huge percentage of the population has Irish ancestry as a result) and Anatolia, modern Turkey.

There was an attempt to setup a slave trading company in Belfast in 1786.

Thomas McCabe stepped up and said of the prospectus "May God wither the hand and consign the name to eternal infamy of the man who will sign that document."

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Taaffeite is a mineral, named after its discoverer Richard Taaffe (1898–1967) who found the first sample, a cut and polished gem, in October 1945 in a jeweler's shop in Dublin, Ireland.
    As such, it is the only gemstone to have been initially identified from a faceted stone. Most pieces of the gem, prior to Taaffe, had been misidentified as spinel. For many years afterwards, it was known only in a few samples, and is still one of the rarest gemstone minerals in the world. [Wiki]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Apparently the Indian guy in Short Circuit, is a white guy painted darker :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

The word 'quare' meaning 'very' is one of only a handful of surviving terms from the extinct Norman dialect of Forth and Bargy (Yola) in Wexford.
    thats quare interesting . often wondered about that word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Apparently the Indian guy in Short Circuit, is a white guy painted darker :eek:

The character is Ben but his surname changes in Short Circuit 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They often say that all the gold in the world could fit into a large house. But scientists say there is enough gold in the ground to cover the surface of the earth with a 4 meter thick layer of pure gold.
    Of course most is in the core and not accessible.

There is also 20000000 tons of gold in the waters of the earth's oceans, but it is so dilute that getting it out of the water is near impossible, plenty of companies have tried to work out an efficient way to extract, but it will never be cheaper than just mining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Senna wrote: »
    They often say that all the gold in the world could fit into a large house. But scientists say there is enough gold in the ground to cover the surface of the earth with a 4 meter thick layer of pure gold.
    Of course most is in the core and not accessible.

There is also 20000000 tons of gold in the waters of the earth's oceans, but it is so dilute that getting it out of the water is near impossible, plenty of companies have tried to work out an efficient way to extract, but it will never be cheaper than just mining it.

All the gold ever mined could fit into a cube under the eiffel tower. perhaps that is what you are thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Most swear words and curses refer to women, genitals or sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

That makes sense now. I noticed before that wexford used the word in a different context...as in "he's quare tall" whereas in Dublin itnwould be " he's a quare (strange) sort".

And something you might not know...there are Shelmalier, Forth and Bargy Roads in Dublin.

redcup342 wrote: »
    That or urine/faeces.

It's interesting that this isn't inevitable or natural. The TV series Deadwood, set in the gold mining town of the same name in post Little Bighorn Dakota, it's a famously foul-mouthed series, where thirty seconds without an f or c word of some kind is almost unheard of. But in historic Deadwood those words would seldom be used, and all the swear words referred to religious beliefs (ie literal profanities). The makers of the show decided to use modern swear words because they wanted to capture the genuinely shocking effect of the language used in the mining camps, and the real swear words would sound far too quaint to modern ears to convey just how rough the language of that time and place really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

When you lift weights at the gym you're actually tearing apart the fibres of your muscle and breaking it down.

Your body then fixes it back up using protein. When it fixes it it makes it slightly bigger in the hopes it won't tear so easily next time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

When you lift weights at the gym you're actually tearing apart the fibres of your muscle and breaking it down.

Your body then fixes it back up using protein. When it fixes it it makes it slightly bigger in the hopes it won't tear so easily next time

#Gainz

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Three of the first five presidents of the United States (John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe) died on July 4th. In fact, Adams and Jefferson actually died on the exact same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There are some cool channels on youtube that do animated breakdowns of ancient battles. The battle of clontarf being one of them.

But in reality Brain didn't really drive the vikings out of Ireland because the fact they settled kind of mean they weren't in the viking club anymore. He fought some norse men while hiring norse men to fight the norse men.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That or urine/faeces.

It's interesting that this isn't inevitable or natural. The TV series Deadwood, set in the gold mining town of the same name in post Little Bighorn Dakota, it's a famously foul-mouthed series, where thirty seconds without an f or c word of some kind is almost unheard of. But in historic Deadwood those words would seldom be used, and all the swear words referred to religious beliefs (ie literal profanities)
    Sfoot ("By God's foot") and gadzooks ("By God's hooks - the hooks being those on the cross) are two used by Shakespeare.

cdeb wrote: »
    That or urine/faeces.

It's interesting that this isn't inevitable or natural. The TV series Deadwood, set in the gold mining town of the same name in post Little Bighorn Dakota, it's a famously foul-mouthed series, where thirty seconds without an f or c word of some kind is almost unheard of. But in historic Deadwood those words would seldom be used, and all the swear words referred to religious beliefs (ie literal profanities)
    Sfoot ("By God's foot") and gadzooks ("By God's hooks - the hooks being those on the cross) are two used by Shakespeare.
    Also zounds, for God's wounds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the Cockney/London "Cor blimey", god blind me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

redcup342 wrote: »

I think the c word shares an origin with a word for rabbit. Think coinin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I think the c word shares an origin with a word for rabbit. Think coinin.

"You facking rabbit"?!!

Nope I'm not buying it...

I'm guessing a more Germanic origin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    That makes sense now. I noticed before that wexford used the word in a different context...as in "he's quare tall" whereas in Dublin itnwould be " he's a quare (strange) sort".

And something you might not know...there are Shelmalier, Forth and Bargy Roads in Dublin.

I always thought that "quare" in the Dublin vernacular was simply a Dublin prononciation of "queer".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Wibbs wrote: »
    the Cockney/London "Cor blimey", god blind me.

In Cockney slang, calling somebody a "berk" is a lot worse than you might think. I might have heard it used inoccusiously in the same manner that you might call somebody an eejit or a plonker, but if you expand the origin, it comes from Berkley Hunt ... C**t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement