Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

I've read this ten times and I still don't know what you mean. Reverse what?

Well you're upside down aren't you

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

ncuae6hjrr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

After the end of the Korean war, six US soldiers defected to North Korea.

In 1962 James Joeseph Dresno found himself facing a court martial for forging signatures on paperwork that gave him permission to leave the base which, ultimately, led to his going AWOL. Unwilling to face punishment, on August 15, 1962, while his fellow soldiers were eating lunch, he ran across a minefield in broad daylight into North Korean territory, where he was quickly apprehended by North Korean soldiers.

They all became Propaganda film stars and lived happily after.

The shortest timespan that has been theorised to have any physical meaning is the Planck time of approximately 5.39 x 10^-44 seconds.

The age of the universe is estimated to be approximately 4.3 x 10^17 seconds.

This means there are approximately 7.977 x 10^60 orders of magnitude between the smallest timescale and the largest timescale, since the universe began its post-big-bang existence.

The mid-way point in orders of magnitude between these two scales is 2.82 x 10^30 orders of magnitude.

This means that one planck time is to 152 femtoseconds (1.52 x 10^-13 seconds) as 152 femtoseconds is to the age of the universe since the big bang.

A femtosecond is a timespan equivilant to a millionth of a nanosecond, or a trillionth of a millisecond. 152 femtoseconds is around as long as it takes one chemical reaction to occur, typically involving the movement of electrons in the forming and breaking of a chemical bond/s between atoms.

So if we, at our large, slow human scales were to think of the age of the universe in units of time as short as those at which chemical reactions take place, in reality those units can be subdivided again into as many units as we have initialled divided the age of the universe! But once you reach that point, time can be subdivided no further while still being a useful description of objective reality. It's units eventually becomes discreet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

The shortest timespan that has been theorised to have any physical meaning is the Planck time of approximately 5.39 x 10^-44 seconds.

The age of the universe is estimated to be approximately 4.3 x 10^17 seconds.

This means there are approximately 7.977 x 10^60 orders of magnitude between the smallest timescale and the largest timescale, since the universe began its post-big-bang existence.

The mid-way point in orders of magnitude between these two scales is 2.82 x 10^30 orders of magnitude.

This means that one planck time is to 152 femtoseconds (1.52 x 10^-13 seconds) as 152 femtoseconds is to the age of the universe since the big bang.

A femtosecond is a timespan equivilant to a millionth of a nanosecond, or a trillionth of a millisecond. 152 femtoseconds is around as long as it takes one chemical reaction to occur, typically involving the movement of electrons in the forming and breaking of a chemical bond/s between atoms.

So if we, at our large, slow human scales were to think of the age of the universe in units of time as short as those at which chemical reactions take place, in reality those units can be subdivided again into as many units as we have initialled divided the age of the universe! But once you reach that point, time can be subdivided no further while still being a useful description of objective reality. It's units eventually becomes discreet.

28420873.jpg

• Advertisement

28420873.jpg

No worries, I worked out the back-of-envelope calculations for my own clarity of mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Can someone point out why Endahonesty got more thanks than Onionbelt. Clearly I am missing something here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

everlast75 wrote: »
    Can someone point out why Endahonesty got more thanks than Onionbelt. Clearly I am missing something here :(

Well you haven't thanked Onionbelt (at time of posting), so it's probably because of people like you :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

People like puns - deal with it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Brevity.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    People like puns - deal with it. :cool:

I wasn't having a go - I was saying I don't know what the reason for the likes was. If there was a pun - I missed it? :confused:

EDIT - the meme wasn't showing previously - I can see it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Aye, meme is slow to load for me. Missed it first time around

Bloody feminists, renaming time after themselves now. :(

Does anyone know how long HammerTime is?

I thanked you OnionBelt. :)

Wait... is Onionbelt a pun on Orion's Belt?? :eek: Wow... :pac:

Unfortunately not, I'm far too unsophisticated - my username simply refers to a peculiar fashion from times gone past where people tied onions to their belt. Only big yellow ones mind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It was just the style at the time, NH.

I see. Like the mullet. I hope it was only a phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Peregrine wrote: »
    It was just the style at the time, NH.

My story begins in 19 Dickity 2. We had to say Dickity cause the Kaiser had stolen our word for twenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 islandlady

Many people know that the Great Blasket Island was visited by various scholars who encouraged the residents to write and record their lives, and it was their encouragement that led to the classic works of Tomás Ó Criomhthain, Peig Sayers and Muiris Ó Súilleabháin among others. One of the scholars who visited was George Thomson (very close friend of Muiris) who was a Greek scholar from London. He was also a leading Marxist scholar and respected philosopher. Toward the end of his life, he credited his understanding of these highly academic subjects to the time he spent with the Blasket people. He commented on how the island residents were engaged in a form of primitive communism. There was no division of goods based on a top down hierarchy - it was community of mutual support and sharing and is evident from the clachan structure of the village to the ancient farming system used by the islanders. He also attributed his pioneering work on Homer as coming from his understanding of the oral traditions and folk tales of the islanders.

Perhaps not the most exciting fact but I always find it fascinating that such a small community could inspire so much in both each other and themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Onionbelt copied/pasted - endahonesty obviously put more effort in searching for the appropriate picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

islandlady wrote: »
    Many people know that the Great Blasket Island was visited by various scholars who encouraged the residents to write and record their lives, and it was their encouragement that led to the classic works of Tomás Ó Criomhthain, Peig Sayers and Muiris Ó Súilleabháin among others. One of the scholars who visited was George Thomson (very close friend of Muiris) who was a Greek scholar from London. He was also a leading Marxist scholar and respected philosopher. Toward the end of his life, he credited his understanding of these highly academic subjects to the time he spent with the Blasket people. He commented on how the island residents were engaged in a form of primitive communism. There was no division of goods based on a top down hierarchy - it was community of mutual support and sharing and is evident from the clachan structure of the village to the ancient farming system used by the islanders. He also attributed his pioneering work on Homer as coming from his understanding of the oral traditions and folk tales of the islanders.

Perhaps not the most exciting fact but I always find it fascinating that such a small community could inspire so much in both each other and themselves.

So he is the one i should blame for the misery that was Peig?

Peig is to blame for the misery that was Peig.

begbysback wrote: »
    Onionbelt copied/pasted - endahonesty obviously put more effort in searching for the appropriate picture

I found the relevant figures by googling but I did the calculations myself. Harder than you might think.

begbysback wrote: »

I found the relevant figures by googling but I did the calculations myself. Harder than you might think.
    It clearly wasn't a copy and paste job, had all the hallmarks of someone explaining as they go. Actually, it's an odd thing to be wrongly criticized for in a thread mostly made up of copy pastes straight out of Wikipedia.

Anyway I learned from your post. But I laughed at endas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Iso country codes are 2 digit standard codes used to represnt each country in the world. For example, ireland is IE, usa is US and so on. They are used in a wide range of areas, like call signs, shipping, sports etc. However they are primarily used in IT as a standard to represent countries. As time goes by and countries come and go, some get old and retired, e.g. bu for burma, yu for yugoslavia; some have been retired, re-used and retired again - cs was czechoslovakia, then wss used later for serbia and montenegro, now is obsolete again. As a sign of the times, 3 codes have now actually been assigned to whatsapp emoji flags - xe for england, xs for scotland and xw for wales.

The first westerner to learn of Stalin's death was Johnny Cash. he was an air force Morse Code operator and intercepted a Russian Message

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The stateside slur for the Irish 'mick' (as in you stupid mick bastard, or you fcking dumb mick cnut ) comes from the North Eastern Americans initial inability to pronounce the Mc surnames.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

An ethnic Korean, Yang Kyoungjong was living in Manchuria when hostilities began between Imperial Japan and the Soviet Union at the start of World War II.

As Manchuria was controlled by the Japanese, Yang was conscripted into their army and sent to fight against the Soviets and their Mongolian allies.

During the Battle of Khalkhin Gol he was captured by the Red Army and sent to a labour camp where he could live out the remainder of the war. No such luck.

By now the Soviets were at full stretch against Nazi Germany. To replenish manpower POWs were being drafted into the Red Army as fresh cannon fodder. In 1942 Yang swapped his Imperial Japanese uniform for that of the Red Army.

After a year of fighting on the eastern front he was captured during the Third Battle of Kharkov, this time by the Wehrmacht. Once again Yang found himself a POW in a prison camp where he could live out the remainder of the war. No such luck.

The Germans found that they too had manpower issues and also began to conscript POWs. Yang was now coerced into wearing a Nazi uniform.

As a member of the Wehrmacht's Osteinheiten, or eastern units, Yang was sent to Normandy in 1944.

During the D-Day landings in June of that year he was captured by United States army paratroopers and sent to a POW camp where he did live out the remainder of the war.

Yang Kyoungjong, a Korean from Manchuria, an historic part of the Chinese Empire, who was an Imperial Japanese Army veteran, a member of the Soviet Union's Red Army, as well as a soldier in Nazi Germany's Wehrmacht, died in Chicago in 1992.

Yang_Kyoungjong_wiki.jpg

What a life, poor man. :( It's like that chap from Nagasaki who went to Hiroshima and was there when the atomic bomb was dropped; he survived it, and went back home in time for the second bomb, which he also survived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What a life, poor man. :( It's like that chap from Nagasaki who went to Hiroshima and was there when the atomic bomb was dropped; he survived it, and went back home in time for the second bomb, which he also survived.

Tough folks the Japs.

Had a code of honour for a warrior/soldier who was about to be captured. They were supposed to fall on their sword or put the last round into their head.

This is why Allied soldiers were treated so badly in their POW Camps.

Cowards in their culture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement