Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Almost as bad as liars.

Yeah liars are worse than people who put babies into septic tanks. of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A county Cork doctor served in S.E. Asia with the brits before WWII and was eventually captured by the Japs. They were particularly brutal. He wrote a book of his account. Well worth reading.

Autochange wrote: »
    Yeah liars are worse than people who put babies into septic tanks. of course

At least you removed the "live babies" bit.

At least you removed the "live babies" bit.

They all died of natural causes before being shoved into a septic tank. Does that make it easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

They all died of natural causes before being shoved into a septic tank. Does that make it easier?

If you can name me a country that hasn't committed human rights atrocities in its history I'll accept that Ireland is a corrupt little backwater.

But isn't it more likely that through history, every country has committed awful things and while nobody should be proud of them, it doesn't do any good to self hate either.

• Advertisement

Django99 wrote: »
    If you can name me a country that hasn't committed human rights atrocities in its history I'll accept that Ireland is a corrupt little backwater.

But isn't it more likely that through history, every country has committed awful things and while nobody should be proud of them, it doesn't do any good to self hate either.

Iceland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Iceland
    Nope. Iceland itself was settled by the Norse who brought their captured slaves, mostly women and mostly from Ireland and Scotland to bear their kids and work the land. So it is a nation built on the bone and bodies of bonded women slaves. If we're being pedantic like...

Nowhere is "clean". And nowhere doesn't have its fair share of those who are overly keen to point this out. Usually missing the historical nuances involved and often to the point of hyperbole.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh lest I forget...
    The nuns in Ireland stuffed live babies into septic tanks and got on with their day. disgusting institution.
    Would you g'way outa that. For pity's sake. If ever a simplistic to the degree of farce take on a historical matter was in dire need of a roll eyes smiley, that is surely up there. Hysterical and histrionic maybe, historical? eh no. Those three words get conflated and confused with too bloody many and too bloody often.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The nuns in Ireland stuffed live babies into septic tanks and got on with their day. disgusting institution.

Not sure why you quoted me there....? care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

bisounours wrote: »
    JAP (is the US anyway) stands for Jewish American Prince/Princess, not for Japanese.

No it's been a slur over there for Japanese people for generations.

000411.jpg

• Advertisement

We don't know what happened exactly. Implying that live babies were thrown into a functioning septic tank is disgusting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

And this was a good thread :(

Omackeral wrote: »
    No it's been a slur over there for Japanese people for generations.

000411.jpg
    If she had the right arm extended, the picture could be offensive to the japs and the jews.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I thanked to satisfy any whoring proclivities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If she had the right arm extended, the picture could be offensive to the japs and the jews.

She was so so close :pac:

steddyeddy wrote: »

You're right.

Did you know the little plastic bits at the end of your shoelaces are called aglets?

Did you know that the dots on the letters 'i' and 'j' are called a tittles? That's tittles.

Did you know that the words bookkeeping/bookkeeper are among the only words to have 3 double letters in a row?

Did you know that Mr Owl ate my metal worm spelled backwards is the exact same as it is frontwards?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You're right.
    Did you know the little plastic bits at the end of your shoelaces are called aglets?

As a matter of fact, yes I did! (Thank you, Phineas and Ferb! :D)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how about a white pointy hat ?

how about a white pointy hat ?

That's taking it too far!

The nuclear launch codes for USA for most of the Cold War were '0000'. Easy to remember, in case of emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Did you know that the words bookkeeping/bookkeeper are among the only words to have 3 double letters in a row?

Ive been spelling these with one k for years!

• Advertisement

The peace sign, as in the one inside the circle that looks a bit like a Mercedes logo comes from the CND letters N and D, standing for Nuclear Disarment. When mixed together, they form the symbol we all know today. See here.

PeaceND.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

The nuclear launch codes for USA for most of the Cold War were '0000'. Easy to remember, in case of emergency.

So, not only could they launch nukes. They had access to my shed.
    I've also changedy code, in case ye're wondering

So, not only could they launch nukes. They had access to my shed.
    I've also changedy code, in case ye're wondering
    My phone too!

Whispered wrote: »
    Not sure why you quoted me there....? care to explain?

I felt that you needed to know what happened.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh lest I forget...Would you g'way outa that. For pity's sake. If ever a simplistic to the degree of farce take on a historical matter was in dire need of a roll eyes smiley, that is surely up there. Hysterical and histrionic maybe, historical? eh no. Those three words get conflated and confused with too bloody many and too bloody often.

Religious man or truth avoider?

Religious man or truth avoider?
    Neither I'm afraid. Realist. Show me one shred of evidence that Irish nuns stuffed living infants into septic tanks as you hysterically claimed. Just one will do. Actually never mind, no doubt you'll respond with more waffle. Christ knows what the hell it had to do with an otherwise cool little thread. I suppose there's always one. =>:rolleyes:<=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

A county Cork doctor served in S.E. Asia with the brits before WWII and was eventually captured by the Japs. They were particularly brutal. He wrote a book of his account. Well worth reading.

"A Doctors War" by Aidan MacCarthy.

Very entertaining read, culminating in him being in a Japanese POW camp when the atomic bomb was dropped in Nagasaki. Well worth a read, and as its only a short book, you'll get through it in an afternoon.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Neither I'm afraid. Realist. Show me one shred of evidence that Irish nuns stuffed living infants into septic tanks as you hysterically claimed. Just one will do. Actually never mind, no doubt you'll respond with more waffle. Christ knows what the hell it had to do with an otherwise cool little thread. I suppose there's always one. =>:rolleyes:<=

I bet you didnt know that we live in a country which buries the truth concerning the vile past behavior of the catholic church.

I bet you didnt know that we live in a country which buries the truth concerning the vile past behavior of the catholic church.

It's perfectly fine to blame the CC for all the atrocious things they did, but you demean that when you try blame them for things there is absolutely no evidence of them doing.

There's enough proven stuff to be getting on with without making stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Irish society has a lot of blame to shoulder, sometime I wonder if Irish society had as much toxic influence on the church as much as people like to claim the usual church oppressed d'irish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement