Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not much wisdom in agreeing with a statement then trying to debunk it with many words that back it up and then trying to make a fool out the original poster with a raving rant of gibberish, is there professor.
    I am clearly and happily fond of a raving rant of gibberish. To a point. Though discipulus, I do tend towards preferring a more cogent rebuff to points raised, rather than taking a childish strop because your argument may be found wanting, or not. And I'd take pains to reacquaint myself with the meaning of gibberish while I was at it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Wibbs wrote: »
    I am clearly and happily fond of a raving rant of gibberish. To a point. Though discipulus, I do tend towards preferring a more cogent rebuff to points raised, rather than taking a childish strop because your argument may be found wanting, or not. And I'd take pains to reacquaint myself with the meaning of gibberish while I was at it.

Who's having the strop. You start going on about the Christian church when I didn't even mention them then try to use your "superior intellect" to avoid the mistake you thought I made which turns out to be your mistake, on your bike...

Yes you make good points which have nice bits of info but you're not the only person here with information get over it if you where made of chocolate you'd be eating yourself.

At the end of the day you're the one making the effort to debunk the information and desperately going out of your way to do so by the looks of length's you went to. Have some wine and another poof of that pipe of whatever you are smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Who's having the strop. You start going on about the Christian church when I didn't even mention them then try to use your "superior intellect" to avoid the mistake you thought I made which turns out to be your mistake, on your bike...

Yes you make good points which have nice bits of info but you're not the only person here with information get over it if you where made of chocolate you'd be eating yourself.

At the end of the day you're the one making the effort to debunk the information and desperately going out of your way to do so by the looks of length's you went to. Have some wine and another poof of that pipe of whatever you are smoking.
    Yeah you're right, you're not having a strop at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Behave! All must bow before our lord and saviour, The Mighty Wibbs (may His brain never fail).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The battery was invented before there was a way to charge it by electrical means.

There's a battery in a lab in Oxford University which has been ringing an electric bell continually for the past 175 years. It was built shortly after the invention of the battery and no one is quite sure of what it's made of - the only way to find out would be to cut it open, thus destroying it.

A small price to pay I would say, but these oxford types can be unusually sentimental!

(well it's either that or they don't want anyone to see the wire running back to the socket behind the fridge:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

At what point does the connstant bell ringing get annoying?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Senna wrote: »

174 years, 364 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes ago

Senna wrote: »

My daughter is 2 and a half, she rings the door bell until the door is answered. It takes exactly half the length of my hall way to be driven completely homicidal (then the other half to calm down again once I see the silhouette:D).
    So slightly less than 175 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

My daughter is 2 and a half, she rings the door bell until the door is answered. It takes exactly half the length of my hall way to be driven completely homicidal (then the other half to calm down again once I see the silhouette:D).
    So slightly less than 175 years.

2 and a half and out on her own and able to reach a doorbell !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Prob nipped down to the chemist for some more growth hormone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In Ireland we have two forms of sign-language. Catholic and Protestant.

Even bats split their allegiances on religions grounds. Long-eared bats build nests in Roman Catholic chapels, while Natterer's bats live in the eaves of Anglican churches.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

*Checks date. Notices it's not the first of April. Still wonders if Capt'n is taking the proverbial!*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

In Ireland we have two forms of sign-language. Catholic and Protestant.

Even bats split their allegiances on religions grounds. Long-eared bats build nests in Roman Catholic chapels, while Natterer's bats live in the eaves of Anglican churches.

Not quite, yes there are two variants of Irish Sign Language, one is male, the other female as they were developed in gender segregated schools, St Joseph's for the boys, St Mary's for the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

@captain m/speedsie- in Ireland we use ISL, Irish Sign Language. In the north Deaf people use BSL ( British Sign language) however most use ISL too. Men and womens ISL is predominately the same, but there are differences, not so much now but more noticeably amongst the older generations. Sign Languages evolve continuously like spoken languages. New signs form all the time, passing from individual to individual. Nowadays boys and girls are mixed in the same primary and secondary school( called the Holy Family now) in Dublin. There are also primary schools in limerick and cork. The majority are in mainstream schools though these days supposedly availing of supports rather than schools for the Deaf due to changes in policies/ legislation. Deaf people also have regional accents, depending on where you learnt how to sign. There are hundreds of different sign languages worldwide, each country has their own form of sign so we can't understand every bit of their sign as they are different.However, there are some similarities and when we talk to different Deaf nationalities we use international sign language, a common language we share as a community .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It is possible to thank a post twice

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

begbysback wrote: »
    It is possible for Srameen to thank a post twice

FYP

2 and a half and out on her own and able to reach a doorbell !

She wouldn't be out on her own, but she can reach the doorbell alright.
    There are no minimum height regulations for doorbells you know!

Speedsie wrote: »
    Not quite, yes there are two variants of Irish Sign Language, one is male, the other female as they were developed in gender segregated schools, St Joseph's for the boys, St Mary's for the girls.

It's actually a vital requirement. Consider the following conversation

Person A: What's wrong?
    Person B: Nothing.

Now depending on whether B is a male or a female - there is either nothing wrong, or something seriously wrong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

@captain m/speedsie- in Ireland we use ISL, Irish Sign Language. In the north Deaf people use BSL ( British Sign language) however most use ISL too. Men and womens ISL is predominately the same, but there are differences, not so much now but more noticeably amongst the older generations. Sign Languages evolve continuously like spoken languages. New signs form all the time, passed from person to person. Now boys and girls are mixed in the same school in Dublin. Deaf people also have regional accents, depending on where you learnt to sign. There are hundreds of different sign languages worldwide, each country has their own form so we can't understand each one as they are different, however when we talk to different nationalities we use international sign language, a common language we share as a community .

I'm wondering how you'd sign that username.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Visually shaking my head and grabbing me sack. You have to understand sign language is not like a spoken language, it is a visual language, of the face, body and hands, utilizing all three when you are having a conversation with another Deaf person.For the majority sign language is our first language, rather the spoken language of the country we live in. After all,we cant hear it being spoken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Visually shaking my head and grabbing me sack. You have to understand sign language is not like a spoken language, it is a visual language, of the face, body and hands, utilizing all three when you are having a conversation with another Deaf person.For the majority sign language is our first language, rather the spoken language of the country we live in. After all,we cant hear it being spoken.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057777894

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Big Nasty wrote: »

A link to a thread called "I'd really like to hear..."
    Bit on the nose, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

New Home wrote: »
    FYP

Lol - but how does one go about achieving such privileges?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

begbysback wrote: »
    Lol - but how does one go about achieving such privileges?

You need to be besties with Sir David Attenborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

When you think about something in your head do you "hear" words? Visualise signs? How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Just to lower the tone of the thread to my intellectual level... :pac:

In the Father Ted episode Chirpy Burpy Cheap Sheep, the owner of Chris the Sheep (Fargo Boyle) was played by an actor called Peadar Lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Small jars of Nutella chocolate when finished and cleaned make excellent whiskey glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Small jars of Nutella chocolate when finished and cleaned make excellent whiskey glasses.

I found the same but with some glass candle holders....by absolute fluke obviously.Something like this.
    Plenty of other shapes and sizes to suit your fancy.

glow-light-transparent-light-big-glass-candle-holders-awesome-fabulous-home-decoration-modern-style-comfrtable-looking.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I found the same but with some glass candle holders....by absolute fluke obviously.Something like this.
    Plenty of other shapes and sizes to suit your fancy.

glow-light-transparent-light-big-glass-candle-holders-awesome-fabulous-home-decoration-modern-style-comfrtable-looking.jpg

Funny, I reached the same conclusion in reverse.
    Had just finished a couple of whiskeys in whiskey glasses when I had an inspiration - why not plonk a couple of candles in there improvised glass candles so to speak.

• Advertisement

This is cool! :)

Apparently, there's a mathematical theorem that says that one can cut any shape (as long as it's made up of straight lines) with just one single cut.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement