Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭Evade

If current trends continue by the 12th millennium CE every particle in the currently visible universe will be used up in the construction of living humans.

Skip to 6:15 for that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,641 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

maudgonner wrote: »
    Just to lower the tone of the thread to my intellectual level... :pac:

In the Father Ted episode Chirpy Burpy Cheap Sheep, the owner of Chris the Sheep (Fargo Boyle) was played by an actor called Peadar Lamb.

Who passed away just yesterday. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Who passed away just yesterday. RIP

Woah :eek:

I will now avoid mentioning anyone, ever again. Just in case...

:p
    maudgonner wrote: »
    Woah :eek:

I will now avoid mentioning anyone, ever again. Just in case...

:D yeh, might be a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

"A Dissertation on Roast Pig" was written by a Charles Lamb.

And the guy who does the voiceover for Come Dine with Me has the surname Lamb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Mary had a little lamb, you've heard this tale before. But did you know she passed her plate and had a little more ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Culture shock ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-07/aboriginal-mans-story-of-nuclear-bomb-survival-told-in-vr/7913874
    In the 1950s Nyarri Morgan was a young man, walking and hunting in South Australia's northern deserts.

His dramatic first contact with whites came when he witnessed a nuclear bomb explosion at the British testing site at Maralinga.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    "A Dissertation on Roast Pig" was written by a Charles Lamb.

And the guy who does the voiceover for Come Dine with Me has the surname Lamb.

BBC4's Gardeners Question Time programme used to be presented by a Clay Jones.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Jones

When Ursula Andress walked out of the sea in Dr No, what watchers didn't realize was that she was 're-voiced' by voiceover actress Nikki Van Der Zyl. Not only was the character of Honey Ryder voiced over by Ms Van Der Zyl, all the Bond girls in the movie were, as she was able to provide the generic Euro accent that they felt would appeal to the broadest audience.

It's not the only Bond movie she voiced either, she provided the voices for characters from movies From Russia With Love, Live and Let Die, You Only Live Twice, The Man With The Golden Gun, Goldfinger and Thunderball. Mostly she voiced multiple characters in each movie.

It's interesting that so few people really notice the characters all sound the same. I guess the girls don't say much though, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Candie wrote: »
    When Ursula Andress walked out of the sea in Dr No, what watchers didn't realize was that she was 're-voiced' by voiceover actress Nikki Van Der Zyl. Not only was the character of Honey Ryder voiced over by Ms Van Der Zyl, all the Bond girls in the movie were, as she was able to provide the generic Euro accent that they felt would appeal to the broadest audience.

It's not the only Bond movie she voiced either, she provided the voices for characters from movies From Russia With Love, Live and Let Die, You Only Live Twice, The Man With The Golden Gun, Goldfinger and Thunderball. Mostly she voiced multiple characters in each movie.

It's interesting that so few people really notice the characters all sound the same. I guess the girls don't say much though, to be fair.

They did a reshoot for the spy who loved me. Moore wasn't available so they used a painting of him

tswlmpainting.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Today 40 years ago Voyager 1 started its journey through our solar system. It is now 19:21 light hours away from us and travels at a speed of over 60,000km/h in relation to the sun. It reached that incredible speed by sling-shooting it using the gravitational fields of Jupiter and Saturn. It is now on a path leaving our solar system.
    NASA is still in contact with it although only 4 of its 11 sensors are still operating. Everything else has been switched off due to diminishing power sources. The last sensor will be switched off around 2025 and after that Voyager 1 will continue to send status updates only until around 2036. After that we will hear no more from it.
    But just in case 'someone' finds her she carries a few messages from its senders, humanity.

Edit: Sorry 60,000km/h not 60,000km/s. The latter would be a fifth of light speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

It is now on a path leaving our solar system.

It left the heliosphere earlier this year, so is now classed as being in interstellar space.

According to the documentary on RTE last night, it is not expected to deteriorate much from now on, and there is minimal risk of being impacted. It is likely to outlast the Earth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On a more mundane note... Before Andrex puppies and paper were invented all sorts of things were used to wipe the oul bottom. Greeks used stones and even bits of broken pottery. :eek: The Romans used a sponge on a stick, usually in a communal setting, so the sponge was a shared one. Only the very wealthy had private toilets and even there they tended to prefer the communal toilets where they could do business(in both senses) and keep up with politics and gossip. These toilets weren't generally gender segregated either.

They were able to run such conveniences and other things requiring water because they built an incredible aqueduct network to supply their major cities. They had so much coming in they built fountains to show it off. The houses of the wealthy took their water from this public supply and had indoor plumbing(the word comes from the Latin for lead, the material pipes were often made from) and some also had fountains. To show off their wealth they would often leave the gates/doors of their house open to the street and let the extra water run off into the street.

Also on the street were large piss pots, where people could relieve themselves. It was actually a valuable resource as both tanners and cloth makers used it. So was the poo that was collected in pits behind communal apartments and standalone villas. Actually both poo and piss were valuable resources up until the modern age. Nightsoil men would collect it and made a tidy sum from it too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Fancy buying fish in a city in mediaeval England/Ireland? Head to Fishamble Street (same in Dublin), where the fish shambles, or open-air markets, were.

Want some wine? Go to Winetavern Lane, where the wine taverns were.

Want a prostitute after? Nip across to Gropecunt Lane, where...well, you get the idea...

^^^

And if you want see a wanker in action, drop in to Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...Greeks used stones and even bits of broken pottery...

Jesus! No wonder they were philosophical! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In the early years of Henry VIII's reign, there was a titled position of Groom of the Stool; court companions who spent time with him in the Privy chamber. These were the sons of noblemen, or important members of the gentry, who had the honour of wiping the Monarch's backside.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Good grief... No wonder Henry VIII was such a spoiled brat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I thought the concept was brought in under Henry the turd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Still on the subject of Roman toilets, Emperor Vespasian introduced a tax on urine collection in public toilets. His son Titus objected to the tax considering it disgusting, to which Vespasian replied "Pecunia non olet", i.e. "Money doesn't smell". In some Romance languages, public toilets are still named after him (France (vespasiennes), Italy (vespasiani), and Romania (vespasiene)).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This is probably well known but I just found out. The distress call "mayday" comes from the french word m'aidez (help me) Think I spelt it correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Actually both poo and piss were valuable resources up until the modern age.

And still are. Our local sewage / waste water treatment plant separates all the "organic matter" ;), feeds it to little beasties, and then grinds them up for fertiliser

http://www.bioboost.co.nz/how-it-is-made/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Actually both poo and piss were valuable resources up until the modern age. Nightsoil men would collect it and made a tidy sum from it too.
    And still are. Our local sewage / waste water treatment plant separates all the "organic matter" ;), feeds it to little beasties, and then grinds them up for fertiliser

http://www.bioboost.co.nz/how-it-is-made/

We had a blocked drain over the summer, which resulted in a flood from said drain over part of the garden during unblocking. The grass has never been thicker, higher or greener - blooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Sh1te talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sh1te talk.

The Chinese invented toilet roll but they dont use it, right hand is for eating with, the left is for wiping with.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Chinese invented toilet roll but they dont use it, right hand is for eating with, the left is for wiping with.

I always that was an Arab/Muslim thing.....I thought the Chinese would be using chop sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I always that was an Arab/Muslim thing.....I thought the Chinese would be using chop sticks.

I think toilet roll would do a better job of cleaning your bum than chopsticks to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Did you know that skunks when run over, smell for several hours and possibly days, of over brewed coffee.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Did you know that skunks when run over, smell for several hours and possibly days, of over brewed coffee.

I doubt over brewed coffee smells like dead skunk. The smell of a dead skunk is horrible, just like a live skunk really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement