Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Less than 1% of the earth is water.

If you travel south from Detroit you'll end up in Canada.

Ireland is Europe's biggest exporter of bananas

There are more trees on earth than stars in the milky way

A 17 inch pizza is more pizza than two 12 inch pizzas.

Read these today and they blew my mind a little

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

This one took me ages to accept, but ever since I've started thinking of pi X r squared when ordering pizza. It's surprising how often this kind of thing happens. I know, the more you order the cheaper it's likely to be in any situation, but I'm pretty sure the pizza makers aren't aware of it a lot of the time, but invariably the bigger pizzas on the menu are exponentially better value than you would be expecting, once you consider the formula for the area of a circle.

Also if the crust on a pizza isn't particularly good, then the bigger pizza gives you a much better pie:crust ratio.

This is literally the only practical application for Leaving Cert geometry I've ever had in my life. But Mr. Kavanagh would be very proud all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I think technically it's the biggest manufacturer of bananas.
    The pizza one is a good one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This one took me ages to accept, but ever since I've started thinking of pi X r squared when ordering pizza.
    Pro Tip to get the most you need to think of volume rather than area.

If the radius is z and the thickness is a then the volume is pizza

Dean Martin could have wrote a song about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Not native to there though?

native smative
    there are 50 million white people in africa that arent technically native but they are still in africa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

he earth water thing is it by mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Ipso wrote: »
    I think technically it's the biggest manufacturer of bananas.
    The pizza one is a good one.
    How does one manufacture a banana?

To thine own self be true

Check out this SHOCKING documentary! Banana manufacturers HATE him...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Tigger wrote: »
    native smative
    there are 50 million white people in africa that arent technically native but they are still in africa

Fair enough...how many, roughly? In the wild?

Maybe I should have said there are no wild tigers native to Africa. I didn't know this (until recently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The Atlantic lock in the Panama Canal is at its western end, and the Pacific lock is at its eastern end.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The term ''that really takes the biscuit'' stems from the pillaging days of the Vikings. When the brutes tore through villages up-ending and ransacking everything in their path, sympathetic neighbours would all rally around and leave a token for the heaviest hit victims, more often than not, with a batch of homemade bread or a type of sweet biscuit. Sometimes, the lowest of the low opportune thieves would come along and literally take the biscuit from the victims and that's where we get the term. I also made all of that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Fyffes had this one out with revenue. Basically they are importing bananas which aren't quite ripe and "processing" them to make them ripe. They argued that because of this process they are not a distributor, they are a manufacturer. Obviously there is a tax benefit to this. I hope the guy who figured it out is a wealthy man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

chakotha wrote: »
    The pacific end of the Panama Canal is further east than the Atlantic end.
    The Atlantic lock in the Panama Canal is at its western end, and the Pacific lock is at its eastern end.

Did you know that many people have short memories? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Did you know that many people have short memories? ;)

Haha... I was actually going to say the gool ol' " I don't know if its been mentioned before" but decided against it lol

Well we all know now :cool:

Fyffes had this one out with revenue. Basically they are importing bananas which aren't quite ripe and "processing" them to make them ripe. They argued that because of this process they are not a distributor, they are a manufacturer. Obviously there is a tax benefit to this. I hope the guy who figured it out is a wealthy man.

Yes, the ripening process is considered manufacturing for tax reasons.

https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/taxsource/1997/en/act/pub/0039/tb/sec0443-1-tb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Omackeral wrote: »
    The term ''that really takes the biscuit'' stems from the pillaging days of the Vikings. When the brutes tore through villages up-ending and ransacking everything in their path, sympathetic neighbours would all rally around and leave a token for the heaviest hit victims, more often than not, with a batch of homemade bread or a type of sweet biscuit. Sometimes, the lowest of the low opportune thieves would come along and literally take the biscuit from the victims and that's where we get the term. I also made all of that up.

Thats pretty believable in fairness,but i am a little thick:):):):)

On the Viking theme, Oxmantown is actually named after Vikings. Apparently the Oxman comes form the word Ostro meaning East which is what they called themselves. I always associated North/Norse with Vikings and not East.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxmantown

Ipso wrote: »
    On the Viking theme, Oxmantown is actually named after Vikings. Apparently the Oxman comes form the word Ostro meaning East which is what they called themselves. I always associated North/Norse with Vikings and not East.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxmantown

A quick look at the names of the streets in the area around Stoneybatter is interesting in this regard: Sitric Road, Sigurd Road, Olaf Road and Viking Road, Ostman Place. I know the Irish Historic Towns Atlas Dublin volumes have a proper record of the names given to the city's streets down through the centuries, but I haven't got a copy to hand here, but I'd be interested to know how old those street names actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Leixlip is from biking words too

Leix was a Salmon

Lip became leap

The place where the salmon leap

• Advertisement

Of course there's Fingal, white/fair foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

This may be well known to some but the river Avon ( of which there is more than one) is called the river Avon because the Romans asked some local in Britain what was the name of the river and he said "River?" in Brittonic and they wrote down what they thought he said, which sounded to them like avon. Or at least that is how it was later written down. Nobody was walking around with big brains back then.

Anyway the modern welsh (a language derived from Brittonic) for river is Afon, and of course the Irish for river is Abhainn. If the bh were pronounced like a V as it may have been in the past, you can see the similarity in sound to both the welsh and Avon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

This may be well known to some but the river Avon ( of which there is more than one) is called the river Avon because the Romans asked some local in Britain what was the name of the river and he said "River?" in Brittonic and they wrote down what they thought he said, which sounded to them like avon. Or at least that is how it was later written down. Nobody was walking around with big brains back then.

Anyway the modern welsh (a language derived from Brittonic) for river is Afon, and of course the Irish for river is Abhainn. If the bh were pronounced like a V as it may have been in the past, you can see the similarity in sound to both the welsh and Avon.

Welsh, Cornish, Breton and Gaelic would all be close on the same branch of Indo-European Languages.

On a similar theme, in Scotland you have place name prefixes Aber and Inver. Both mean estuary or river mouth.
    Aber comes from the p celtic pictish language (similar to Welsh) and inver from gaelic which spread into Scotland by the Irish some time after the 6th or 7th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

andreas-gursky-the-rhein-II.jpg?fit=4000%2C2240

The above photo is the most expensive photo ever. Called Rhein II it was sold for $4.3 million at an auction
    in 2011. The original photo contained a factory in the distance and a girl walking her dog, they were photoshopped out of it.

And that is why I don't even pretend to understand art, seems like Madness, the discription below sounds like a completely different picture, but I assure you it is it
    This image is a vibrant, beautiful and memorable – I should say unforgettable - contemporary twist on Germany’s famed genre and favourite theme: the romantic landscape, and man’s relationship with nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

GOLF was originally spelled backwards i.e. FLOG because of the way the ball as struck with the club.
    I might have made that up.

Can we change the thread title to "Things you didn't know and other things that I just made up"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Allinall

Stop

is the shortest word with most anagrams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

London Ashford airport is closer to France than the city of london

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement