Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

interesting.

a= pr2

a = p17^2

a = 907.92

a= pr2

a = 2(p12^2)

a = 904.78

approx. .34% bigger

just found out. if you take big area away from small area, guess what the value is? :eek::eek:

i bet you didnt know that.

Sorry to be pedantic but you used diameter value in place of radius.

Also, volume = pi.r^2.h

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Are Am Eye wrote: »

i now realise my mistake and feel like a fool :o

but i refuse to edit it because of the extraordinary result

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's a location on earth (in the Pacific Ocean) called Point Nemo. It's the furthest possible distance you can be from land and is known as a pole of innaccessibility. If you are here alone, its possible that the closet human to you is in the International Space Station orbiting above.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are Am Eye wrote: »

Also, volume = pi.r^2.h
    A reminder
    If the radius is z and the thickness is a then the volume is pizza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Harvey Weinstein co-produced the film Into The West.

I wonder was he a creeper back then too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

There are 2 places on Earth where you can do the following;

Go 1 mile South, 1 mile West, and then 1 mile North ..... and end back where you started!

One location is North Pole. Guess where the other is....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Go 1 mile South, 1 mile West, and then 1 mile North ..... and end back where you started!

One mile North of the South Pole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A Neurotic wrote: »
    One mile North of the South Pole?

And any point a half mile north of that. In fact there are an infinite number of places along the globe on this line of latitude as it circles the globe. The is no one point.

Rather than try to explain it here, as a diagram would be much better, I'll search online for a link - it has to be somewhere.

Edit: Here you go -

https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2011/02/22/one-mile-south-one-mile-east-one-mile-north-a-classic-puzzle/

The cervical smear test or Pap smear was developed in the late 1920's by Dr George Papanikolaou. Interested in cancer detection, he had examined vaginal cells smeared from animals and found that in a sample of cells from the cervix, that cancerous cells and even pre-cancerous changes in cells could be detected clearly under miscoscope. The results were the same in tests conducted on women, and it's still the standard test for early detection of cancerous and pre cancerous changes in the cervix.

At the time, cervical cancer was a leading cause of death in women, and the number one cause of female cancer deaths. Unfortunately, cervical cancer is still a leading cause of death in women in developing countries. It's the number one cause of womens cancer death in Ghana, Uganda, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire and many other African countries, and many developing countries around the world where screening is scarcely available or unavailable.

It's all the sadder since Dr Papanikolaou's test can detect cells before they develop into cancer, and treatment at that early stage is almost 100% effective. The test as a screening procedure became available in the 1950's, and it's testament to it's efficiency that cervical cancer is in the bottom third of cancer related deaths in developed countries, something that a greater uptake of screening would improve even further.

In the America of the 1770's, deer skins were used as a form of currency. By the middle of the century the exchange rate was established at five deer skins to a barrel of rum, which was used as a frame of reference for bartering lesser or greater amounts.

Deer skins were referred to as 'bucks', and this is the origin of the slang word for dollars.

"You look a million deer skins in that dress!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Albert Einstein's last words were spoken in German and heard only by a nurse who did not speak German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Albert Einstein's last words were spoken in German and heard only by a nurse who did not speak German.

She wrote something down though,phonetically as she heard it, and we have a good idea he said:

die Relativitätstheorie war ein Witz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

She wrote something down though,phonetically as she heard it, and we have a good idea he said:

die Relativittheorie war ein Witz!!

Which roughly translated is

"Quick, get the English speaking nurse, I've an idea how to create free energy perpetually"

BBDBB wrote: »
    Which roughly translated is

"Quick, get the English speaking nurse, I've an idea how to create free energy perpetually"

Google translates tells me it’s “The theory of Relativity was a joke!”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,436 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Every set is a subset of itself.

but not the set of sets that doesn't contain themselves.

That's the set that "broke" mathematics.

Although there are other sets that don't contain themselves.
    Some sets, such as the set of all teacups, are not members of themselves. Other sets, such as the set of all non-teacups, are members of themselves. Call the set of all sets that are not members of themselves “R.” If R is a member of itself, then by definition it must not be a member of itself. Similarly, if R is not a member of itself, then by definition it must be a member of itself.

In fact all sets can be broken up into sets that contain themselves and sets that don't. And that's where the paradox comes into it.

I posted before about Planck time but I read earlier this about Planck length:

One Planck length (smallest physically meaningful measurement of length) is to a dust particle (about 110 micrometers) what a dust particle is to the observable universe. I finding it compelling to contemplate the universe-worth of stuff happening constantly at the tiniest scales while we stumble around as big slow phenomena emergent at higher scales from what goes on below.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Omackeral wrote: »
    Jim opens a cafe selling fish and chips. He has a sign made. It arrives and it says "fishandchips". So he rings up the sign company and says:

You need to put more space between "fish" and "and" and "and" and "chips"

There's a better one. The same word 11 times in a row making grammatical sense.

Jim and Peter wrote an essay. Jim, where Peter had had had, had had had had; had had had had the higher mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I posted before about Planck time but I read earlier this about Planck length:

One Planck length (smallest physically meaningful measurement of length) is to a dust particle (about 110 micrometers) what a dust particle is to the observable universe. I finding it compelling to contemplate the universe-worth of stuff happening constantly at the tiniest scales while we stumble around as big slow phenomena emergent at higher scales from what goes on below.

Wow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

there is no operating railway in Donegal.

• Advertisement

elvis83 wrote: »
    There's a better one. The same word 11 times in a row making grammatical sense.

Jim and Peter wrote an essay. Jim, where Peter had had had, had had had had; had had had had the higher mark.

I added punctuation in my head.

Jim and Peter wrote an essay. Jim, where Peter had had “had”, had had “had had”; “had had” had had the higher mark

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

is it on one of those magic roads down the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

joe stodge wrote: »

Ye can have the Galway-Limerick one. There's no-one using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's a location on earth (in the Pacific Ocean) called Point Nemo. It's the furthest possible distance you can be from land and is known as a pole of innaccessibility. If you are here alone, its possible that the closet human to you is in the International Space Station orbiting above.

It's probably where the ISS will be buried too when it get's decommissioned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacecraft_cemetery

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Jim and Peter wrote an essay. Jim, where Peter had had “had”, had had “had had”; “had had” had had the higher mark
    Confused face...

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Confused face...

You've been had.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Confused face...

Replace the first "had" with "Macbeth" and the first "had had" with "Romeo and Juliet".

So......... Jim and Peter wrote an essay. Jim, where Peter had had “Macbeth”, had had “Romeo and Juliet”; “Romeo and Juliet” had had the higher mark.

(That's my understanding of it, I could be wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

The distance between the Earth and the Mars is the same as driving around Earth along the same black lines of a basketball to which the colour tone of the ball match perfectly the soil of Mars and which the bumps and dots to scale would represent the sum of the highest and lowest parts of the planet. The number of these dots on the ball is equal to the area in Tibet where China plans on recreating Mars, 35000 dots to 35000 Sq. Miles. In proportion the ratio of a basketball to the net is equal to the rings around Saturn. The number of rings is equal to the number of black lines on a basketball. The average price of a basketball is 7.99 equal to distance of Saturn to Mars which is 7.99 AU. 1 AU being the distance between Earth and the Sun. The amount of force required on Earth to bounce a basketball 60ft into the air is equal to amount of force required to jump 60ft in the air on Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Greybottle wrote: »
    Replace the first "had" with "Macbeth" and the first "had had" with "Romeo and Juliet".

So......... Jim and Peter wrote an essay. Jim, where Peter had had “Macbeth”, had had “Romeo and Juliet”; “Romeo and Juliet” had had the higher mark.

(That's my understanding of it, I could be wrong).

Where you have a semi colon.... everything I know about grammar tells me there should be a full stop there .

Also, the example is a bit silly. What if the second play was called had had had had had...then we'd have more "hads" . I don't think it's as impressive of the five "ands" because of the multiple hads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

joe stodge wrote: »

Not entirely true :p

http://fintownrailway.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement