Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The USA has a population of 324 million, making it the third most populous country in the world after China and India. If it had another billion people it would still be the third most populous country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

joe stodge wrote:
    is it on one of those magic roads down the country?

Nope. The immediate reply posters got it right. The 2nd point (location really, as its not a point) is anywhere on the latitude about a mile and a half from the South Pole.

I love Universe scale / ratio facts...
    If the Earth was shrunk to the size of a snooker ball, the Earth would be smoother than the snooker ball.
    If the Earth wad shrunk to the size of an apple, the Earths atmosphere would be as thick ad the apple skin.
    If you shrink the Universe so the sun is the size of an orange and the earth id a grape, and place them at opposite sides of standard living room, the nearest star (at this scale), is the n South Africa....Thx to Porridge for this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Where you have a semi colon.... everything I know about grammar tells me there should be a full stop there .

Also, the example is a bit silly. What if the second play was called had had had had had...then we'd have more "hads" . I don't think it's as impressive of the five "ands" because of the multiple hads

Agreed, as the clause after the semi colon is in itself grammatically incorrect. It's a strained effort that actually misuses the past perfect tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The dolphin who starred in the series Flipper commited suicide :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

If you shrink the Universe so the sun is the size of an orange and the earth id a grape, and place them at opposite sides of standard living room, the nearest star (at this scale), is the n South Africa....Thx to Porridge for this one!

Don't know where you buy your fruit, but if the sun was the size of an orange, earth would be less than a mm wide. Sun is 100 times the size of earth and you could fit more than a million earth's in the sun.

Using the scale of the Sun being oranged size, the nearest star would be from Ireland to Hawaii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

At the outbreak of the famine the population of the island of Ireland was about 8.4 million, and the USA 19.5 million. So there were about 2.3 Americans for every person on this island.

Today there are over 49 people in the USA for every 1 here... 327 million against 6.63 million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

He didn't what say what size grape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Greybottle wrote: »
    At the outbreak of the famine the population of the island of Ireland was about 8.4 million, and the USA 19.5 million. So there were about 2.3 Americans for every person on this island.

Today there are over 49 people in the USA for every 1 here... 327 million against 6.63 million

Our system of land division and potato eating at that time has similarities with the rice growing dense populations of regions of China and India.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are Am Eye wrote: »

Or whether it was African or European.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Are Am Eye wrote: »

Or what size the orange was :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Where you have a semi colon.... everything I know about grammar tells me there should be a full stop there .

Also, the example is a bit silly. What if the second play was called had had had had had...then we'd have more "hads" . I don't think it's as impressive of the five "ands" because of the multiple hads

I don’t like the had hads in the original either.

Neither are as impressive as this grammatical sentence.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Snotty wrote: »
    Don't know where you buy your fruit, but if the sun was the size of an orange, earth would be less than a mm wide. Sun is 100 times the size of earth and you could fit more than a million earth's in the sun.

Using the scale of the Sun being oranged size, the nearest star would be from Ireland to Hawaii

Correct. Assuming the sun to be the size of an orange of 10 diameter the Earth's diameter would be less than 1mm.

Correct. Assuming the sun to be the size of an orange of 10 diameter the Earth's diameter would be less than 1mm.

10cm ?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    10cm ?

Sorry, yes cm.

In Roman times, the slaves granted to higher ranking soldiers were called addicts. Today a person enslaved by a behaviour or substance is an addict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

On the Roman theme, the word gladiator comes from their word for sword, Gladius. Which also shares a root with the irish word for sword, Claidheamh.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius

It is estimated that world population multiplied about 12-fold between 20,000 years ago to 12,000 years ago, from about 500,000 to 6 million.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

And it's multiplied three-fold between 1940 and today

Ipso wrote: »
    On the Roman theme, the word gladiator comes from their word for sword, Gladius. Which also shares a root with the irish word for sword, Claidheamh.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius

and hence the name for the Gladioli plant because of the shape of it's leaves.

Look up Operation Gladio - in place on this island as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gladio

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

It is estimated that world population multiplied about 12-fold between 20,000 years ago to 12,000 years ago, from about 500,000 to 6 million.

And it took less than 300 years to increase 12 fold from 620 million in 1740 to today's 7.44 bn.

In 1200 the population of China was about 124 million, 200 years later is was little over half that at 65 million.

Various Chinese dynasties have done a census since around the time of the birth of Jesus Christ.

India had an estimated population of 120 million around 300 BC and this dropped to 100 million in 1600, almost 2000 years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

elvis83 wrote: »
    There's a better one. The same word 11 times in a row making grammatical sense.

Jim and Peter wrote an essay. Jim, where Peter had had had, had had had had; had had had had the higher mark.

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." is a grammatically correct sentence in American English, often presented as an example of how homonyms and homophones can be used to create complicated linguistic constructs through lexical ambiguity and the usage of homophony and homonymy.

Greybottle wrote: »
    And it took less than 300 years to increase 12 fold from 620 million in 1740 to today's 7.44 bn.

In 1200 the population of China was about 124 million, 200 years later is was little over half that at 65 million.

Various Chinese dynasties have done a census since around the time of the birth of Jesus Christ.

India had an estimated population of 120 million around 300 BC and this dropped to 100 million in 1600, almost 2000 years later.

Yes, it's easy to forget that the human population didn't just keep increasing linearly throughout history - sometimes conditions were much worse than other times and the population ebbed and flowed in accordance with these changes in conditions, and until recently people didn't have the use of fossil fuels like we do to stave off discrepancies between population and food supply.

Also, I find it fascinating to think that the population increased 12 fold throughout the ice age. The people of the time must have massively depleted the stock of animals and plants available for food to have multiplied so much in a time of such cold. Most of the wooly mammoths were killed during that time for instance. I'd say the world seemed very crowded to those living 12,000 years ago, with 6 million people needing to be fed in a world without agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yes, it's easy to forget that the human population didn't just keep increasing linearly throughout history - sometimes conditions were much worse than other times and the population ebbed and flowed in accordance with these changes in conditions, and until recently people didn't have the use of fossil fuels like we do to stave off discrepancies between population and food supply.

Also, I find it fascinating to think that the population increased 12 fold throughout the ice age. The people of the time must have massively depleted the stock of animals and plants available for food to have multiplied so much in a time of such cold. Most of the wooly mammoths were killed during that time for instance. I'd say the world seemed very crowded to those living 12,000 years ago, with 6 million people needing to be fed in a world without agriculture.

They probably blamed it on foreigners, coming in here, stealing our mammoths.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The earliest horse lived 55 million years ago and was the same size as a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The term plumber comes from the Roman word plumbum, which was their word for lead. hence the chemical symbol pb.
    I always wondered why we used to call heavy lead weights we used in fishing, plums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

There are tiny fish eating antelopes in the Congo that swim underwater

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ipso wrote: »
    The term plumber comes from the Roman word plumbum, which was their word for lead. hence the chemical symbol pb.
    I always wondered why we used to call heavy lead weights we used in fishing, plums.

Also the derivation of 'plumbob' a lead weight on a string for making sure vertical things are straight and true.

Also the derivation of 'plumbob' a lead weight on a string for making sure vertical things are straight and true.

"Swinging the lead" = skiving.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Also, I find it fascinating to think that the population increased 12 fold throughout the ice age. .

Not much else to do with a blizzard raging outside other than have an aul ride to pass the time. You're stuck in the cave, telly was probably shíte, only RTE 1+2 back in those days of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement