Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving a tree after fire

Options
  • 14-01-2017 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I've a weeping willow in my front garden, which was damaged in a fire (a car got burnt out beside it) during the week. The trunk bark doesn't seem damaged, which I understand from reading online is good news).

What I'm not sure is whether I should prune the branches which are all black and damaged. They're not pure brittle, there's a bit of bend in them, meaning I don't think they're dead (yet).

Any suggestions on what (if anything) I should do to help it recover? Prune or not? Anything else?

Garden is west facing so gets sun (at this time of year) from early afternoon until sunset. Urban area so not a ton of 'soft' ground (it's right next to the road), if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its pretty hard to kill a willow. Either leave it and see what happens, then cut off any obviously dead bits when it starts to put out new growth, or cut it back completely and let it resprout. Or cut off any branches that have obviously burned through and let it re-sprout. In other words, it doesn't really matter what you do, just make it tidy if you wish and it will sort itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

A photo would help as the size of the tree is important, helping to decide if the tree now poses a hazard to the public due to the damage caused and it's position.

It may not become evident how much damage was caused by the fire and heat for some time.

If it is s small tree then some pruning may take care if it. But a larger one would give cause for concern.

Advertisement