Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single non recent graduate moving to USA?

Options
  • 14-01-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Ok i know there are MANY topics on this but i can't find one relevant to my situation. So as the title suggests I am single 31yo guy. I am a graduate of DCU with a degree in Business Studies but i graduated back in 2011. I am just tired of the same old same old in Dublin and I am thinking of moving to USA. I have a cousin in New York who has offered to employee me (he owns a bar) and put mee up till i find my own place.

My thing is I want to do it legitimately, with a proper visa working up to permanent residency. i won't risk overstaying and getting caught or marrying for green card. I just can't find the info i need for doing all this as I'm not a student or recent graduate. How do you go about getting the visa or right to work in my circumstances (single, professional etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LC2017

The main option open to you would be the diversity lotto for a green card.

The main work visa (H1-B) is for speciality occupations and I don't think bar work would qualify under speciality. Also your cousin would have thousands in legal and filing fees to pay, and you cannot pay it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The other option is to get a job with a company in Ireland that has an office in the US and ask to be transferred after a year working with them (L1-A or L1-B visa).

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

You say you're a professional. Is your work either highly skilled or in demand in the US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Basically without being married or winning the diversity lottery, your chances are close to 0%.

Actually, if you went back and did a Masters, after you've graduated you'd be eligible for the graduate visa again. Although side hustle jobs like bar work etc are strictly prohibited in that visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't think i've ever met someone who's done the grad visa and not done a side job tbh!

Well they're breaking federal law and they would be booted out if caught ;).

• Advertisement

Basically without being married or winning the diversity lottery, your chances are close to 0%.

That is absolutely false.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

That is absolutely false.
    Well unless you work for a Multi National or have a very desired set of skills as mentioned above  yeah unless marrying or Greencard lottery pretty much 0% chance fact.

Palmy wrote: »
    Well unless you work for a Multi National or have a very desired set of skills as mentioned above  yeah unless marrying or Greencard lottery pretty much 0% chance fact.

People treat moving to the US as some impossible dream that only a select few can ever achieve. The reality is that it's quite possible for a lot of people, if they really want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People treat moving to the US as some impossible dream that only a select few can ever achieve. The reality is that it's quite possible for a lot of people, if they really want it.

Is it the case that you can hire an immigration lawyer and petition the US immigration service for a green card. i.e. make a strong case for why you need one and drserve one and they will make a decision based on that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Palmy wrote: »

How if not stated above? I'd like to know. What do you know that we don't?

• Advertisement
Advertisement