Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverter Welder

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

These newer inverters are much easier to weld with than the old transformer ones. In past days we moved from stick to MIG and it was amazing difference. However it became harder to get bottles and MIG is not so forgiving of old steel,its also poor outdoors (gas shield is blown by wind) so once a few large projects were out of the way it was pushed to back of the shed..

Inverter welding with the extra flux on the rods really is where to go now for farm welding. Store your rods indoors, behind the range or on top of an out of the way radiator. They dont like damp. Watch the duty cycle of the cheap welders, this will hammer you when you do a bit of a project, you wont notice it on the small repair, but on a full day it will do you in as you have to wait for welder to cool or it damages itself.

Make it easy on yourself when starting out. Do new metals, grind well, use a supporting clamp, get tight fit, do it on the flat on a bench at comfortable height. choose a 4 inch grinder, not the unwieldy 9 inch, its not in the size, its how you use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

lidl welder €99
    Any good or a waste of money folks?

I bought the €99 Chainsaw a few weeks back and I'm very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Nope, no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone have a Draper 180A Inverter Welder, (model 70029)

MMA Inverter Welder, 180A (70029) | Draper Tools

Spec seems good. Duty cycle - 60% @ 180A / 100% @140A

£145 on Amazon;

Draper 70029 MMA Inverter Welder, 180A Blue One Size : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

My 30 year old welder blew today. Maybe the dampness got to it eventually. I haven't opened it up yet.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

This one is good value for money, nice and light for carrying around the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Mighty little welder but the leads are very short

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Opened my old welder today. Looks like a wire fused onto another one. A bit of insulating tape and tidied up the wires with small cable ties and it's good to go again. Might do for another 30 years. Happy out ! 😀

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement