Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish ranger wing

Options
  • 14-01-2017 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone new to this forum,
    24 years old going to apply to join the defence forces when I can, I have my heart set on trying for the ranger wing, does anyone have any info on what I can do to prepare for it or when I can try out after I join the df, I know alot of you will probably have alot of negative comments so please keep them to yourself, because this is my dream and I gonna do wat ever it takes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanD123

Hey, as far as I know all serving members are eligible to apply to join the ranger wing so once you join your chosen branch of the defence forces and finish training you should be able to apply in the next competition. If you look up army ranger wing selection course on Wikipedia you will find a lot of useful information. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Joshb6889

SeanD123 wrote: »
    Hey, as far as I know all serving members are eligible to apply to join the ranger wing so once you join your chosen branch of the defence forces and finish training you should be able to apply in the next competition. If you look up army ranger wing selection course on Wikipedia you will find a lot of useful information. Good luck!

Thanks for reply I'll look into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stev3G187

Joshb6889 wrote: »
    Hi everyone new to this forum,
    24 years old going to apply to join the defence forces when I can, I have my heart set on trying for the ranger wing, does anyone have any info on what I can do to prepare for it or when I can try out after I join the df, I know alot of you will probably have alot of negative comments so please keep them to yourself, because this is my dream and I gonna do wat ever it takes!

Loads of info online. Selection course comes in stages. Has a 90 odd percent fail rate as far as I know. Not putting you down. Go for it. If youre not in the competition for the PDF at the minute though you are cutting it close coz the age limit is 25 isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Evanf3

Hey man , I enlisted for the PDF last year and got to the medical phase and was unable to attend because of an exam , the PDF recruitment is broken into 4 segments prior to being a recruit .and you must pass all 4 .. There is the fitness test , online test with numbers , interview and finally the medical , I will be applying again this year and hope to pass all 4 ,my brother is in the army and knows quite a bit about the ARW .. If you want to know the in and outs get onto me ,as I hope to join the PDF and then in years to come to join the arw like yourself

Stev3G187 wrote: »
    Loads of info online. Selection course comes in stages. Has a 90 odd percent fail rate as far as I know. Not putting you down. Go for it. If youre not in the competition for the PDF at the minute though you are cutting it close coz the age limit is 25 isn't it?
    Yes 25 for army and 27 for navy so going to apply for both if I'm still under age, thanks for reply much appreciated!

• Advertisement

Any1 know what happens once join the navy, I know after training and all you'll b assigned to ship for 2 years, do you need to finish the 2 years on ship b4 applying for selection?? I'm guessing the closer after recruit training is best time to try out cause you'd be prity fit then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

Joshb6889 wrote: »
    Any1 know what happens once join the navy, I know after training and all you'll b assigned to ship for 2 years, do you need to finish the 2 years on ship b4 applying for selection?? I'm guessing the closer after recruit training is best time to try out cause you'd be prity fit then?

After recruits you'll do branch training, each branch has different lengths of branch training e.g. Logs is 4 weeks, comms is close to 16 weeks. You'll then be assigned to you ship for 2 years then to shore for 2 years. Most of who apply for the rangers are mid 30s and have a wealth of experience in the defence forces. The majority of the time anyone who goes for the rangers in the navy have competed the divers course first then go on to the rangers.

Advertisement