Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nacon Revolution Pro Controller

Options
  • 14-01-2017 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has one of these and can shed a bit if light on if they are worth the money, never liked the shape of the PS4 controller, this has analogs positioned more like Xbox one which I prefer. Seems I'm noticing the button lag on the wireless controller more and more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I have one. I like it overall but it has some annoyances.

Pros:
    - The face buttons are bigger.
    - The sticks feel easier to be precise with.
    - It is easily customisable.
    - The back buttons are perfectly placed.

Cons:
    - The right stick is convex, which annoys me.
    - You need a PC to add profiles to the controller, though it comes loaded with some basic ones.
    - It has no wireless option, though I don't mind that too much.
    - Pressing the PS button doesn't launch the PS4. A minor gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Otacon wrote: »
    I have one. I like it overall but it has some annoyances.

Pros:
    - The face buttons are bigger.
    - The sticks feel easier to be precise with.
    - It is easily customisable.
    - The back buttons are perfectly placed.

Cons:
    - The right stick is convex, which annoys me.
    - You need a PC to add profiles to the controller, though it comes loaded with some basic ones.
    - It has no wireless option, though I don't mind that too much.
    - Pressing the PS button doesn't launch the PS4. A minor gripe.

Cheers

I've just ordered one this morning from amazon, not worried about wireless as that the annoyance with the stock one, also charging it. Hopefully it as good as a few of the YouTube reviews say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I have it and have played with it for about 6 hours or so .

Liking it so far. When you are setting up the back buttons you have to connect to a pc. Won't work with apple products. In order to change the settings you have to set up a new profile for the controller. You can't edit the premade ones. Wrecked my head for 5 mins before I figured it out.

The only negatives that I have so far is my muscle memory is still causing me issues. That and I can't turn in the playstation with it.

As I play some more I'll do a better review

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

CptMackey wrote: »
    I have it and have played with it for about 6 hours or so .

Liking it so far. When you are setting up the back buttons you have to connect to a pc. Won't work with apple products. In order to change the settings you have to set up a new profile for the controller. You can't edit the premade ones. Wrecked my head for 5 mins before I figured it out.

The only negatives that I have so far is my muscle memory is still causing me issues. That and I can't turn in the playstation with it.

As I play some more I'll do a better review

Yeah turning on the PlayStation wouldn't really bother me, just need to do away with the button lag, sure should have it by Friday so I'll see how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I only have it few days but I can already see myself sticking with it, I have an Xbox One KontrolFreek added on the left thumbstick which needed a little adjustment to fit but I hear it actually takes a PS3 and PS4 KontrolFreek, I haven't checked this yet but I will post an update when I order them and try them out.
    dudeeile wrote: »
    I currently use a usb hub that takes the headset receiver and a keyboard, my controller gets its own special little usb slot.

The Nacon takes some getting used to, that was always going to be the way, minimum of 2 weeks easily. I remember changing profile in Destiny which took about 2 weeks of solid play to feel right, not back to my best but at least it was becoming intuitive, it's all about regaining the muscle memory.

The main problem I've had so far is the bumper design, they just don't feel right, of course I'll get used to them but I think it's one area where design improvements could be made, also what's with the 2 different size thumbsticks, absolute madness.

The biggest difficulty I've found so far is the confusion with all the buttons so what I did was to forget about the rear buttons and just play as normal, once you're comfortable with the new layout then you can introduce the rear buttons, again at the start I was just using one mapping on each side. This has worked for me and may help someone else out before they decide it's not for them.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also adjusted the triggers so that they reach 100% after only 50% trigger pull.

I'll be running these settings starting tonight.

8wHJp87l.png

• Advertisement

So, after 3 months of extensive testing, I have decided that the Nacon is not for me. It obviously took some time to actually get use to the feel and placement of the controls but after all this time the controller itself just doesn't feel right. The rear buttons are very useful and I feel do add another dimension to my gameplay but all the design adopted for this controller just doesn't seem to work, it feels good but just lacks the final polish that may come with the next gen.

I suppose I better start with the good, the software for your PC to manage the controller and adjust settings is easy to use and the ability to save 3 profiles at a time is also a good selling point. The placement of the rear buttons is nice, right where my middle fingers would rest so you just have to actually remember to press them. The ability to adjust controller weight was again a nice touch and on first inspection and early use the controller design seemed good.

However, as with anything, it takes a lot of getting used to especially trying to reset muscle memory and I ended up having to exercise my fingers, hands and wrists during play sessions, as my hands were adjusting to the new positions being adopted. Right from the off, the bumpers didn't feel quite right, their design is pretty good but the placement or more the way they slim towards the edge makes it awkward to click them at times.

I was also having difficulties with the right trigger, either its engage or disengage point, I tried many settings but could never fully eliminate some input errors which became very noticeable when using rapid taps. That’s a fairly big issue when I bought the controller to aid with my gameplay but still, for me anyway, the biggest downfall is actually how the controller feels and it just doesn't fell right. I've used all the PS and Xbox controllers through the years and you will eventually get used to all of them, after using this for 3 months I think I've served my time.

After doing a lot of research at the time and opting for what seemed to be the best bang for my buck, I'm done with it. Looking back now I'm sorry I just didn't go with a modded DS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I feel similar, I only use this controller for 1 game really. That's titan fall. If I had my time again I wouldn't bother . Some good points like the buttons on the back but the triggers and bumpers I just can't stand, live and learn .

Actually forgot to mention that the left thumbstick gets stuck in position a lot of the time, its quite small of a movement but it obviously is a major downfall for such a new controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Still happily using mine. No build quality issues have arisen for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'm considering buying the new Scuf Impact for PS4, I've two standard 4PS Scufs but want to try this new style you can play wired or wireless, change out the joysticks with different sizes and it has 4 programmable paddles on the https://twitter.com/scuffrance/status/865525956517085184

• Advertisement

I'm considering buying the new Scuf Impact for PS4, I've two standard 4PS Scufs but want to try this new style you can play wired or wireless, change out the joysticks with different sizes and it has 4 programmable paddles on the

You can read and watch a lot of negative reviews about the build quality and lack of customer service from scuf, you obviously haven't had any issues if you are considering buying another one. The Impact is a new line so they may have upped their game so to speak.

Of all the controllers out there, BattleBeaver has a good rep, expensive and long lead times but excellent reviews from users, both for the product and the customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

dudeeile wrote: »
    You can read and watch a lot of negative reviews about the build quality and lack of customer service from scuf, you obviously haven't had any issues if you are considering buying another one. The Impact is a new line so they may have upped their game so to speak.

Of all the controllers out there, BattleBeaver has a good rep, expensive and long lead times but excellent reviews from users, both for the product and the customer service.
    Battlebeaver get some bad reviews and no European base so controller has to be shipped back to the states if issues.
    I've had dealings with Scuf EU support and they have been fine, the new Infinaty 4PS and Impact have easily removable paddles with 12 month warranty, they are now using a wired option board that again reduces input lag on both controllers the Impact is more like a Xbox controller in size but any non sponsored videos I've seen seem to think it's good and has a great build quality, I'm probably going to Buy the fully loaded option for €189. But base models start at €139 for the impact. And €129 for the base 4PS Pro.

Advertisement