Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do with my level 7 B.A. ?

Options
  • 14-01-2017 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I studied a 3 year B.A in Counselling & Psychotherapy.

I now would like to go on to do some form of postgrad, be it a higher diploma or a masters. I am 25.

Am I able to go straight in to a postgraduate course with a level 7 B.A. ?

I can't seem to find this information anywhere online, and I have really been looking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

nrsire wrote: »
    I studied a 3 year B.A in Counselling & Psychotherapy.

I now would like to go on to do some form of postgrad, be it a higher diploma or a masters. I am 25.

Am I able to go straight in to a postgraduate course with a level 7 B.A. ?

I can't seem to find this information anywhere online, and I have really been looking.

The entry requirements vary from course to course, but a lot of Masters have a minimum requirement of a 2:1 at honours level (level 8). However, if you have completed other courses, have relevant work experience etc these may be taken into account on an individual basis.

Your best bet might be to talk to the course director/course administrator of the masters/diploma you're interested in, or the college careers service.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Hellywelly

You can enter a H.Dip with a level 7 as it's a level 8. Normally you wouldn't be permitted to enter a postgraduate diploma/master's as they are level 9.
    Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Even Art and design degrees require a level 8 degree to progress to masters level. You'll have to do an add on level 8 course.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm currently finishing a Level 7 BSc and seriously considering a MSc in DCU, UCD or Maynooth in a few different courses. If that was all I had I wouldn't even be considered. However unlike you I am a bit older and have over 20 years experience working in fields directly related to the courses I am looking at and I did a Level 8 diploma 4 years ago so all of the contacts I have talked to in the colleges have said I would be accepted with no issues at all even without the results of the degree I am currently doing.

At 25 I'd safely say you don't have the prior learning through work experience component so I'd say you will have to do a Level 8 course before moving on to a masters. Your next step should be to identify the courses you want to do and call or arrange a meeting with the head of courses in those colleges to find out what they need for entry and what they advise you to do. The information you find online for these courses is very limited and you really need to pick up the phone and talk to the people directly who are running these course. It also gets you noticed for being proactive. Good luck with the investigations.

Advertisement