Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is something considered outdated that you still use??

• 15-01-2017 2:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30

I got the piss ripped out of me today for having an old iPod from 2002/3 still on the go, using it regularly in the kitchen or in the car.
    My brother still uses vhs to tape the soccer highlights.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

I have an old keyboard from the 1980s I use daily at my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I use phones until they die of exhaustion. I use an old Nokia, and like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Only a drug dealer would say that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭C. Montgomery Gurns

stevek93 wrote: »
    Only a drug dealer would say that

Unless Pat Mustard likes his phones like he likes his women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dappledden

disposable cameras.

Major nostalgia in every snap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I'm currently watching TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

NAD turntable to a Jolida valve amp in my hifi. No tone controls. No flashy lights. No bass boost. No surround sound. No remote control. Based on an early 60's design. Sounds godlike.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=jolida+202&rlz=1C9BKJA_enIE657IE657&hl=en-GB&biw=1024&bih=653&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj1gt6EgsPRAhVDKMAKHZh0AlUQ_AUIBSgB#imgrc=Ilj95x8jGG_Z8M%3A

#bluetoothmebollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The oldest thing I can think of that I use is playing an old video game console.

But on the subject I never got the whole "receiving odd looks" or "laughs" when saying you use a thing that's seen as outdated :) If you're happy with it and it sill works then who cares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

My Loo :)

My%20LooTN_zps9qukh1gi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Stigura wrote: »
    My Loo :)

My%20LooTN_zps9qukh1gi.jpg

Nobody will hold it against ya if ya have an Indian and have to purge your bowels first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

House is wired for, and most of our TV watching is on, analogue cable. 16 channels at least makes it quicker to see nothing's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I have an old belt driven milling machine, which I use as a piller drill. Probably heading for 100 years of age. The name plate says "Empire made" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I use an old iPod too! I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Still have a 22inch mitsubishi black diamond thats working perfect, Have it in the kitchen ill watch the sport on it if my wife is watching the main tv. The eldest bought me a flatscreen for my birthday several years ago but I put it in the youngfellows room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Not so much an outdated item, as an outdated concept.
    I will try to repair, or get repaired something that's broken, rather than replace it.
    Even if the cost of the repair is only slightly less than replacing it
    I hate seeing things thrown out, when they could be fixed. Its the disposable era I suppose, but its such waste.
    I gave away a perfectly good TV a few years ago to get a brand spanking new smart telly and I still regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Anonymous message boards

Also have a tractor coming up on 40 years old. ....deos the jobs for me...why would I change??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Using my Dad's old 3310 the past few days as my phone is being repaired.

I dread the day it won't switch on for me when I need an emergency phone.

Incidentally, will they be switching off 2G signals some day? Like they did with the old analog terrestrial TV signal?

Hope not as even I not only do I rely on it for the old Nokia now and again, I also have a dual sim Mi4C and one sim uses 2G while the other is using 3G/4G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I use Boards.ie all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Does windows 7 count?

I still use my xbox 360,and still play gta3 (from 2001) on ps2 or emulated...still better than gta 5.

I also have a proper analogue watch, no fancy casio digital watches for me!

• Advertisement

Ps two to play ps one games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The folks still use a Dell 4600 complete with Windows XP at home.

Ps two to play ps one games

You have WWF Smackdown 2 (ps1 version) ? I still play that...cracks me up. Great game.

Noveight wrote: »
    The folks still use a Dell 4600 complete with Windows XP at home.

Is it online? I hope they have good antivirus sorftware! Xp must be dodge city at this stage for security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Incidentally, will they be switching off 2G signals some day? Like they did with the old analog terrestrial TV signal?

Very unlikely. Easy to support on the same hardware as 4G even and too much random stuff uses it - alarms, monitoring systems for anything and everything etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Not so much outdated considering they are still used and produced, but CDs. Constantly buying them!

Not so much outdated considering they are still used and produced, but CDs. Constantly buying them!

Are we talkin full whack new albums or second hand copies of the greatest hits of Another Level from Dealz?

How much is a CD these days anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

406434.jpg

406435.jpg

406436.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Tools.. As in screwdrivers, spanners etc. Young people are thick.

And lazy, need mummy too much..

I can do life without having to google it first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

m.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I use a portable minidisk player when at work.
    People think it's a Sony Walkman it's so old.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

An old LG flip phone, very retro...

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

KungPao wrote: »
    Are we talkin full whack new albums or second hand copies of the greatest hits of Another Level from Dealz?

How much is a CD these days anyway?

Honestly, both new and old stuff...I'm too attached!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

L1011 wrote: »
    Very unlikely. Easy to support on the same hardware as 4G even and too much random stuff uses it - alarms, monitoring systems for anything and everything etc.

They'll turn it off in the next few years alright. The licensed spectrum currently allocated to 2G can be used more efficiently, even now the operators here are using 3G @ 900MHz and 4G @ 1800MHz reducing the amounts left using 2G to a minimum. The amount of 2G only devices is dwindling away.

The Australians have already pinned their colours to the mast saying they'll do it this year:

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/vodafone-australia-shutting-down-2g-network-in-2017/?client=safari

http://www.skynews.com.au/business/business/company/2016/11/28/telstra-to-turn-off-2g-network-in-april-2017.html

The larger US and Singapore operators have also decided to shut theirs off this year too.

As for my use of obsolete technology? I still use a Windows XP machine for certain diagnostic jobs. I also use a 6th Generation iPod Nano (which replaced my recalled first gen one in 2011).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

a flip phone
    video player
    cassette player
    and I use an old fashioned pen and paper address book instead of putting it all on a phone

I'm old school :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The wife

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

The landline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I use an old iPod too! I love it.

Been meaning to pick one of them up.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252620670793

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

An iPhone 6s you say peasant??
    Mine's a mere 6...Fred Flintsone's favourite model:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

A stove top kettle. With a whistle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Transistor radio :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Old Nokias never die - they simply fade away. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

A calculator a watch an an actual camera. All replaced by phone functionality but I like to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

76544567 wrote: »
    I use a portable minidisk player when at work.
    People think it's a Sony Walkman it's so old.

What's a Sony Walkman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Been meaning to pick one of them up.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252620670793

Jayzus :O

Mine is the 5th generation. Not quite as old but I think I've been rocking it since 2005.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/Apple-iPod-Classic-5th-Generation-Black-60GB-with-box-Retro-/112263906720?nav=SEARCH

Not worth quite as much ;)

It's been on every holiday with me, I've brought it to every festival, it's been at the bottom of every handbag and backpack and still works perfectly with a brilliant battery life. Had a small issue with an earphone jack about 2 years ago but got it sorted easily enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have a 1988 Yamaha AX-500 amp and a Kenwood KD-990 turntable (round the same year) and a big heap of vinyl. It's not getting as much use today as it used to.
    In the kitchen I have an ITT Schaub Lorenz Stereo from the early 70's:

But of course I'm no Luddite. The Kenwood and Yamaha were hooked up to various PC's I had over the years and most of my vinyl now sits as mp3 on a network harddrive, shared out via Samba and DLNA from my Raspberry Pi. The mobile phone on top of the ITT (an old Galaxy S3) uses VLC player to access my music (and Internet radio). The great thing is, you would have to invest a lot of money in a modern speaker system that will only sound half as good, because all modern speaker and docking systems (bar the very, very, very expensive stuff) sounds not even a patch (ok, like a cat vomiting in a plastic bucket) on old, proper HiFi stuff.

Oh, and an early 70's Black & Decker drill. It just won't die. I'll never replace it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

All those with old iPods, did you get the battery replaced, and where, and how much? I have one but it runs down very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Still use my iPod in the car, only regret not getting another one before they got pulled from the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ipod from 2004
    Mouse from 2004 (still going strong)
    Minidisc player from late 90's
    Dell laptop from 2004, only for a certain task but still performs it admirably.

• Advertisement
Advertisement