Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is something considered outdated that you still use??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I tend to "upgrade" periodically but find it hard to throw anything out. I still have the following mainly unused items.
    Tape deck and hundreds of cassettes.
    Video recorder which I think has died recently.
    Two ipods, one dead.
    A couple of all in one radio/cd player units (replaced by Sonos).
    Three DVD players, rarely used and a Blu-Ray player (more or less obsolete due to Netflix and a networked media server).
    I have a twenty year old separates hifi system which I use on a daily basis and will probably never get rid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Still use my iPod in the car, only regret not getting another one before they got pulled from the market.

They're still on the market http://www.apple.com/ie/ipod/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MrsChipster

I have a Netflix subscription on my iPad but I'm watching dvds on a portable DVD player most of the time and all my dvds are in the wrong boxes... argh

I have a Netflix subscription on my iPad but I'm watching dvds on a portable DVD player most of the time and all my dvds are in the wrong boxes... argh

Ah… a soothing project for a rainy day, get them alphabetical and in right boxes :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Chuchote wrote: »
    Ah… a soothing project for a rainy day, get them alphabetical and in right boxes :P

Mine is digitizing the remaining vinyl (over a hundred left), ripping all CD's and DVD's and getting my Pi up and running again.
    The vinyl is quite a lot of work.

Mine is digitizing the remaining vinyl (over a hundred left), ripping all CD's and DVD's and getting my Pi up and running again.
    The vinyl is quite a lot of work.

Warning: I put all my music and photos onto a hard drive. Tried it recently and it had failed for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

A straight razor, ordinary soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Text messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Manners.

Like Please and Thank You

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

A shoehorn.

They are expensive shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Quinnsworth plastic bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

Jasus I've Roche's stores bags here still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A good soak in a bath tub on occasion. Usually for back pain or muscle issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I used Internet Explorer for ages until recently when I got fed up and turned to chrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

I got the piss ripped out of me today for having an old iPod from 2002/3 still on the go, using it regularly in the kitchen or in the car. My brother still uses vhs to tape the soccer highlights.

Have a creative zen mp3 player from around the same time. Awesome battery life and an SD slot. Funny when people press the icons on a non-touch screen device!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

thierry14 wrote: »
    Boards.ie

Bet this was a response on Reddit yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I sometimes read "books" to look for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

Not so much an outdated item, as an outdated concept.
    I will try to repair, or get repaired something that's broken, rather than replace it.
    Even if the cost of the repair is only slightly less than replacing it
    I hate seeing things thrown out, when they could be fixed. Its the disposable era I suppose, but its such waste.
    I gave away a perfectly good TV a few years ago to get a brand spanking new smart telly and I still regret it.

There doing in a thing now in a scandanavian country where theres basically no tax to fix old appliances. They are trying to stop waste. Thought it was a great idea

I use an old Nokia (seems a good few others do too) most of the time rather than take my distracting smartphone everywhere.

I've a small old wind up alarm clock complete with bells on top that I take travelling with me. It's got a very luminous dial and I can see the time instantly if I wake during the night, and it's louder than any other clock I've ever owned, and I never have to worry about the batteries dying.

I have an old Samsung mp3 player at least ten years old, with a whole 2gb of storage, that I have connected to a speaker in my office - via an aux cable, no bluetooth - and it sounds better than anything I've had since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The radio at home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I use a 50 year old split cane fly fishing rod from time to time. It's not as easy to use as my newer carbon rods but still catches decent trout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I still use an 80GB iPod from 2006 regularly. I gave it a new lease of life a few years ago when I replaced Apple's horrible firmware with Rockbox software. Music still sounds better on it than any smartphone I've had, and the battery is still decent too.

Up until May last year I drove a car which had a cassette deck. I mostly used a cassette adapter with it but I would play the odd tape occasionally. I kept a few tapes by The Fall and a drum & bass compilation in my car to play.

Also CDs can be considered outdated now. I still pick them up regularly, mostly second hand ones for only a few euro but some new releases too. Vinyl is good and everything but they are gone too expensive. I still prefer CDs as my physical medium of choice as they are cheaper and less hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Also have a tractor coming up on 40 years old. ....deos the jobs for me...why would I change??
    Better, or classy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My parents still use a fridge and a hoover from 1970.

I use a stereo system from 1999. It has a radio, 3cd changer, double tape deck and minidisc player. It's the main way I listen to music in the house. I have an ipod Touch from 2007 but never use it. It's still in perfect working order though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

An iPod from 2006 and a portable tv with a built in DVD player that I bought in 2003. I have it in my bedroom if I want to watch a movie although I think it has just about had it now because it was making a dodgy sound the last time it was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

AnthonyCny wrote: »
    There doing in a thing now in a scandanavian country where theres basically no tax to fix old appliances. They are trying to stop waste. Thought it was a great idea

Good idea, as it is very wasteful to throw out things when just a small part could fix them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Mp3 player. Even though it would be handier and auto download my podcasts, I won't use a phone for it. I still download the files and transfer it to my mp3 player. That's really backwards in 2017. It is a smaller lighter device to have on you running though, so that's my excuse.

Also, as many others have said, anonymous forums like this. A friend who's 31 was showing me something on facebook a while back and I brought up something I read on boards. She had'nt heard of it. When I showed her After Hours and a couple of threads her response was;

"And people just have big debates in here, with no name or pic, it's all anonymous. ****, that's weird!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Apart from the odd sporting event I haven't watched regular TV in about 4 years. Large HD PC monitors and streaming is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I use a stereo system from 1999. It has a radio, 3cd changer, double tape deck and minidisc player. It's the main way I listen to music in the house.

That wouldn't be a Sony DHCMDX10 by any chance? I'm still using my one from 99 also. :)
    Love the sound quality from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

406434.jpg

406435.jpg

406436.jpg

Gimme that Fred McDowell record!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

That wouldn't be a Sony DHCMDX10 by any chance? I'm still using my one from 99 also. :)
    Love the sound quality from it.

Yes it is! Great sound quality and still working perfectly so haven't felt the need to get rid.

China teapot with proper tealeaves? Big iron pots? Blue steel cutting knives? Th'oul bhicycle? The big canvas panniers from back then, and jangly bell? Sweeping the floor by dashing down wet tealeaves on it to hold down the dust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

A CRT computer screen!

Would my car indicators count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A plain old pencil.
    I always carry on as I like to make notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Love the old Vinyl.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_4_D8My4YxXs44yy9Yuzmyx1h92anjxCkzr3roCrAUri9SWF8
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEbJaoHVgKzBmo16RPr23BDXN-1lrl7gw7lwChjVlvMeC83NoPvg
    [Removed Image]

I use an old-style leather-wrapped field notebook and a proper old Waterman pen for notes when I'm away working. I've a thing for leather bound notebooks and decent pens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A radio alarm clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Most stuff seems to be techy stuff. We still use a laundry basket that I 'inherited' from my mother. It's orange, horrible 1970's orange, she got it as a wedding present in 1972.

• Advertisement

Most stuff seems to be techy stuff. We still use a laundry basket that I 'inherited' from my mother. It's orange, horrible 1970's orange, she got it as a wedding present in 1972.

It's not outdated - it's retro!

On a similar note, I've a hand knitted blanket on the back of my sofa that my grandmother knitted long before I was born. Lovely and cosy it is too.

Candie wrote: »
    It's not outdated - it's retro!

On a similar note, I've a hand knitted blanket on the back of my sofa that my grandmother knitted long before I was born. Lovely and cosy it is too.

Stuff was made so much better back then. The basket is made of plastic but it's strong as hell. We've bought fancy and expensive laundry baskets and they just fall apart. 'Ol orange just keeps going!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

use a fax machine here still for odd jobs like faxing in weekly shopping list to supervalu

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Noveight wrote: »
    The folks still use a Dell 4600 complete with Windows XP at home.
    Dead hard drive walking. Back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

A radio alarm clock.

I'm still using the one I got for a birthday present in 1986. It is coming up on 31 years and still going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Books. Last year in college I had people tell me I need to buy a kindle.

Well fcuk you. I like books more than I like you. And it's not hoarding when you keep books, it's building a personal library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I write letters to people.

Grayson wrote: »
    Books. Last year in college I had people tell me I need to buy a kindle.

Well fcuk you. I like books more than I like you. And it's not hoarding when you keep books, it's building a personal library.

I love books. Last count was 2000+. But I can't deny the ease of ibooks/kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mantis1234

stevek93 wrote: »
    I have an old keyboard from the 1980s I use daily at my computer.

IBM Model M am I right? Ye feckin hipster you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MrsChipster

My folks use a CD player they got me for my birthday 23 years ago, freaky thing about it is it's absolutely spotless still. I also recently found a bottle of Tabasco sauce with a best before date of 1996 in my folks kitchen and they proceeded to use some... I wasn't that hungry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Ive an old Lucozade crate for sawing timber, i woulnt swap it for all the fancy sawhorses in China.

I see it's match in the antiques section of adverts, im tempted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement