Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is something considered outdated that you still use??

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

windows xp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

philstar wrote: »
    windows xp

Same here, still running on my 2004 Dell Inspiron 5150

though I only use it these days for Bit Torrent, a task it performs admirably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Set of technics 1210s. Will be buried with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

UsedToWait wrote: »
    iRiver?

Nope, some of the discontinued Sandisk players. They're so light and small that you can carry them on you without even realising and the battery seems to last a ridiculous length when you're using a custom OS, absurdly durable little buggers too.

Due to the decline in mp3 players being made in general, a lot of the parts are being discontinued so the general quality of lightweight mp3 players is gone down a good bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My hands and my mind.... Both definitely outdated but still work...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

A phone book.
    A baking bowl my mother bought in the 1950s.
    A key to start my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Is it like this?
    44486_x600.jpg

That's the one! It's taken some abuse over the years and looks far worse for wear but still continues to serve me well... And was free! :D
    stevek93 wrote: »
    Out in the sticks hey? :D

Worse... Back hole of nowhere :p

One more outdated thing I use is my personal laptop is a 2007 HP SW51 running Ubuntu 12.04LTS, still going strong to this day :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A 2008 Foxsat HDR satellite receiver.

It's just stupidly flexible for what is a genuine FreeSat receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

My mum ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just remembered that my mother has a food blender/mixer that is at least as old as me - she bought it to make baby food for either me or my older brother. So it might be as much as 45 years old.

We still used it occasionally to make food for my kids when we visited my parents' house. Still works perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Is it like this?
    44486_x600.jpg

That's the one! It's taken some abuse over the years and looks far worse for wear but still continues to serve me well... And was free! :D
    stevek93 wrote: »
    Out in the sticks hey? :D

Worse... Back hole of nowhere :p

One more outdated thing I use is my personal laptop is a 2007 HP SW51 running Ubuntu 12.04LTS, still going strong to this day :)

I have a lot of respect for your laptop. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭burnsey1987

I have an old Roberts radio that only tunes MW and LW which I still use on a daily basis. I also have a landline telephone hard-wired to the wall

Delighted to find an old stove top kettle at the back of a cupboard here; love boiling it on the rails across the solid fuel turf /coal fire.. Looks like HOME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

My clock radio that wakes me up every morning, bought it back in 1996 and thought it was a bit expensive at 15 quid but it's still going strong.

I suppose my 2009 laptop could be included as well, but it's survived a mug of coffee being spilled all over it and it's still working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

My clock radio that wakes me up every morning, bought it back in 1996 and thought it was a bit expensive at 15 quid but it's still going strong.

On that note, I have a small battery-operated alarm clock that I bought to take with me on my J1 back in 1994, and I still use it to this day!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Books :^)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭da gamer

The missus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I send and receive faxes every day of the week.
    To be honest every pharmacy and medical centre still uses fax machines on a daily basis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

I have a perfectly working sony boombox from the 1980's - I have changed the tape heads twice and I play it nearly everyday. I run the head phone jack out to pair of x mini deep bass speakers and that is the only digital relationship it has. Analog, even voice has a rich beauty - like a sonic oil painting - that digital does not. It's also worth a fortune if I was to sell it to a hipster.

Keep you old **** and look after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I have an old belt driven milling machine, which I use as a piller drill. Probably heading for 100 years of age. The name plate says "Empire made" :D

pic please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Sega master system with alex kidd in miracle world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Sega master system with alex kidd in miracle world

Jesus...Forgot Alex Kidd came built in! My cousin's had one back in the day with warlord or lord of something or timelord or something...We had a Nintendo... And I still have that Nintendo, in a swanky briefcase...With Mario 1, 2, 3 and two conyrollers....And it's still cool. Coolest kid in the neighborhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

A bathtub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

My penis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

An 11 year old commercial 4x4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

CRT televison-ours is 23/ 24 year old (Was listening to Elaine Crowley talk about her 16 year old TV recently-refreshing to hear her say as much, considering you hear folks going 'Oh, our six year old TV is SOOOO old'). I can remember the day we got the CRT too-My So Called Life was on RTE, and was sitting there watching it.
    Have a widescreen Tv in other parts of the house, but the main television, the one everyone bands around, is a CRT TV (had to explain what CRT TV's was to someone much older than me recently). It's a Panasonic TV, really hard going. Other devices that have come and gone during its lifetime-the VHS recorder (have it in a press, kept it because of other equipment breaking, as I'll mention). DVD recorders-two different types, had a DVD RAM recorder, which used these DVD 'cartridges' to record programs off of the TV-both the complicated and simple DVD recorder broke. DVD players, last really long time, DVD recorders-maybe 6 months. The VHS lasted longer, and is still stored away.
    Have philips mp3 player, I call it an ipod but its not, that's about 10 years old. Some folks comment on how 'old' it is-but then a person I know who's in her late teens, early 20's is still using an ipod nano/ shuffle-and it's older than mine, so... :).
    Also havent switched from Windows 7. Eight was a total mess, and ten just doesn't convince me-it's too 'what chu looking at-I'm telling Bill Gates'.

Myself; must be ancient as I have no idea what most of the things you mention are.. never heard of them ;):rolleyes::D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My trusty Filofax and its diary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Long Wave radio to listen to the news. And a generator to get on boards half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

masculinity

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mike_ie wrote: »
    Long Wave radio to listen to the news. And a generator to get on boards half the time.
    And let's not forget the hamster wheels that power the boards servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The tape deck in the car.
    DVDs
    Samsung S3
    PS3

After driving round Limerick the last few days , I would say the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Record decks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

js35 wrote: »
    This is me :) still work better than laptop djs ��

Aha!

In my case, the towel was underneath the turntable to prevent feedback up through the cabinet. Maybe your cabinet is expensive enough to warrant protection.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement