Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with baby girl name

• 15-01-2017 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Due in a few weeks and we can't agree on a girl's name. Boy's name sorted. We already have Noah, Sophia and Chloe and I LOVE their names and want another I love as much.

The only one we marginally agree on is Penelope but even though it was my suggestion, I'm not sure about it. Is it too long? A bit of a mouthful? Pretentious? Also my husband fully intends to use Penny but I'm not into nicknames, fine if it happens later in life but would prefer us to refer to our baby as the name we choose and not a nickname. Not having nicknames was a factor in choosing the other kids' names!

Others I like are:
    Lila
    Robyn
    Eva - but bit put off my the number of Ava, Evie etc names. They all blend into each other a bit.
    Lara
    Harper - but have the beckhams ruined it?
    Elise

He likes Rachel and Rebecca. I like them but there a bit boring maybe and can't stand becks/Becky.

Opinions on all welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I have a friend who funnily enough likes the same names as you :) She eventually went with Gemma and Lauren.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I called my first baby Elise. Was happy to see it there in your list. I also like Jodie for a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Due in a few weeks and we can't agree on a girl's name. Boy's name sorted. We already have Noah, Sophia and Chloe and I LOVE their names and want another I love as much.

The only one we marginally agree on is Penelope but even though it was my suggestion, I'm not sure about it. Is it too long? A bit of a mouthful? Pretentious? Also my husband fully intends to use Penny but I'm not into nicknames, fine if it happens later in life but would prefer us to refer to our baby as the name we choose and not a nickname. Not having nicknames was a factor in choosing the other kids' names!

Others I like are:
    Lila
    Robyn
    Eva - but bit put off my the number of Ava, Evie etc names. They all blend into each other a bit.
    Lara
    Elise

He likes Rachel and Rebecca. I like them but there a bit boring maybe and can't stand becks/Becky.

Opinions on all welcome!

Emer or Aine

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Pippa
    Ivy
    Zara
    Mia
    Ada
    Grace
    Mila
    Kira
    Kara
    Annabelle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Just go with Penny instead of Penelope and then using nickname Penny.

I love Maisie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

What about Evanne or Abigale or Isobel or Erica?

They are the names of the last 4 new baby girls I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Lisha wrote:
    I love Maisie

Maisie (shortened Marie Theresa) is cool. I'd love peaches, but Mrs Corm and I both agree on Amy for any future daughter ( I'd be sneaking in Farah Fowler as middle names on the birth cert when she wouldn't be looking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

My new niece is Robyn, I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

I have Emily and Rose. Rose could have been Grace, Molly or Bella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gobnait ftw.

Or Betty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

Freya, Grace, Mia, Amelia....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Others I like are:
    Lila
    Robyn
    Lara
    Elise

Opinions on all welcome!

I just don't think Penelope "goes" with your other names. (Not that it's essential that your childrens' names match each other!)

I don't like Lila because I never know if it's pronounced Leela or Lyela. How about Lily, though?

Not personally keen on Robyn.

Agree with you re. Eva/Ava etc (although I love the name Aoibhe!)

I just don't like Lara, Harper or Elise. I quite like Rachel ... Rebecca, not so much.

How about Amelia? Would be lovely with the other names of her older siblings!

Other suggestions would be Olivia, Alyssa, Alice, Katie, Amy, Rose/Rosie, Emily, Sarah, Zara, Ayda, Lorraine, Lucy, Heather, Leah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Just a thought. Make sure the first names goes well with the surname.

I worked with a girl called Una Ryan and she would sign off as U.Ryan.

This is no joke, and to this day I wonder if anyone ever pointed it out to her.

Best of luck with the baby names, it's not an easy task. I called my own son Micheál, it's not a name I would have chosen

but he was born the 18th of July 1997 and his grandad died the 18th of July 1995. So we felt because of the date we had

to call him after grandad.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Others I like are:
    Lila
    Robyn
    Lara
    Elise

Opinions on all welcome!

My opinions below. I'd would keep well away from the celeb baby names. You will never hear the end of it even if you didn't get the name from a celeb.

Penelope - Kardashians have ruined it.
    Penny - Love Penny - could you use this?
    Lila - reminds me of sweet valley high. Like it.
    Robyn - It's nice and simple.
    Eva - love Eva but there are a lot of them.
    Lara - Really don't like it for some reason.
    Harper - yes - the Beckhams have ruined it.
    Elise - love it. My favourite on the list.

Rachel and Rebecca are lovely classic names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Pulling names out of my head I've heard used recently, my own girl's names and some I like....

Rose
    Avril
    Clodagh
    Freya
    Isabelle
    Julie/Julia
    Orla
    Caoimhe
    Amelia (could be shortened to Mia)
    Annabelle

We had boy's names ok, but found the girls really hard to agree on!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

My neighbours all have little girls from aged 3 to about 6. here are their names
    Maya
    Charlotta
    Aoibhe
    Caroline (my favourite)
    Gina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Elise is gorgeous and in a similar vein, I've always loved Eliza.

There is a baby name megathread on Boards but I can't post links on this app. Worth a look for even more ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 princesselm

Thanks all!

Not really looking for other suggestions as have been searching for months and it will defo be one of the above list.

We have agreed and narrowed it down to Lila, Penelope, Robyn or Eva.

Lila is really the only one that ticks all the boxes I usually insist on: feminine, no nickname, not common, pretty but it's my husbands least favourite!

Heard of a Robyn who gets called Bobbi today which has put me off it a bit!

Thanks all!

Not really looking for other suggestions as have been searching for months and it will defo be one of the above list.

Lila is really the only one that ticks all the boxes I usually insist on: feminine, no nickname, not common, pretty but it's my husbands least favourite!

Urgh. Any name can be corrupted tbf

Lila is nice

Lila or Robyn for me

• Advertisement

Penelope will be penny
    Lila lily
    Eva evy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

mansize wrote: »
    Penelope will be penny
    Lila lily
    Eva evy

Lila is pronounced either leela or lilla
    Nobody calls Penelope Penelope except her mother
    Penelope has also been contaminated by the Kardashians
    There isn't a girls name that can't be shortened or otherwise misspelt or mis pronounced.
    Joan is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

My daughter is called Eve. I picked it as I thought "sure you can't shorten that"....She does get called Evie sometimes which is annoying. Still a beautiful name....No matter what you pick someone somewhere will shorten or lengthen it! All the names you've picked are gorgeous....You can't lose.
    When you see her you'll know which one suits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Floran

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tinkerbell2310

Penny (Penelope)
    Robyn
    Olivia (livy)
    Lucy Anna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Can't go wrong with Emma!

Thanks all!

Lila is lovely - gets my vote!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would love your thoughts on possible baby girl names. We have two in mind Elle or Remi. Middle name will be Zilan (pronounced Zeelan)
    So Elle-Zilan or Remi-Zilan. TIA

Momtobe wrote: »
    Would love your thoughts on possible baby girl names. We have two in mind Elle or Remi. Middle name will be Zilan (pronounced Zeelan)
    So Elle-Zilan or Remi-Zilan. TIA

I think Remi is nice! Elle is nice too but fairly common. Where does Zilan come from? Unusual but I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Emily ;

Advertisement