Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave 2 week Rule

Options
  • 15-01-2017 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

So, I am trying to fill out my forms and it says I must take a minimum of two weeks leave before the end of the expected week of confinement
    I am due Tuesday May 9th
    Am I right in saying:
    1. The end of the expected week of confinement (presuming that is some Victorian term that means due date) is therefore Sunday 14th May
    2. I must take maternity leave from two weeks before this date i.e. from Monday 1 May
    ??

I want to get it right so I take the minimum possible! If I am too sick to work I can use sick leave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    So, I am trying to fill out my forms and it says I must take a minimum of two weeks leave before the end of the expected week of confinement
    I am due Tuesday May 9th
    Am I right in saying:
    1. The end of the expected week of confinement (presuming that is some Victorian term that means due date) is therefore Sunday 14th May
    2. I must take maternity leave from two weeks before this date i.e. from Monday 1 May
    ??

I want to get it right so I take the minimum possible! If I am too sick to work I can use sick leave.

Yes mags that's right! Your mat leave will start on 1st may. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Thanks! Dunno why they can't say it a bit more clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, that's right. 2 wks before due date. It's a pain the backside to be honest. I went two weeks overdue on my eldest, so a month of mat leave was gone before the baby even arrived.

Purple at least now though you don't have to go a full 2 weeks before your due date! If you are due on a Monday you only go a week before! If I was due on a Saturday say I will be putting down the following Monday and save myself a week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I never even considered that you could just put a different due date on the application form to suit yourself :rolleyes:
    Sure they'd hardly check up on it?

• Advertisement

s4uv3 wrote: »
    I never even considered that you could just put a different due date on the application form to suit yourself :rolleyes:
    Sure they'd hardly check up on it?

Oh gosh no you can't put just any date! In my case I know my due date is a few days early. Anyway regardless of that if I was due on a Saturday I would ask for Monday to be written down on my form. It's 2 days but would gain you a week.

My last pregnancy the due date the hospital gave me was 4 days later than early scan and my dates. They said not to change it as it my first pregnancy and it would give me a few days extra to try and go into labour myself rather than be induced.

The doctor has to fill in the bit with the due date; otherwise I would certainly be estimating a week or two later!

mrsmags16 wrote: »
    The doctor has to fill in the bit with the due date; otherwise I would certainly be estimating a week or two later!

There was nowhere on my form that my doctor had to sign because I'm employed, so I filled in all the info and work just signed it.
    God I hope I have that right :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

s4uv3 wrote:
    There was nowhere on my form that my doctor had to sign because I'm employed, so I filled in all the info and work just signed it. God I hope I have that right

Yep doctor definitely signs off on due date

Yep doctor definitely signs off on due date

Bollocks. Excuse the language, guess I have some sorting out to do!!

• Advertisement

s4uv3 wrote: »
    Bollocks. Excuse the language, guess I have some sorting out to do!!

Yes doctor signs the form! If my hospital leave my current due date as is I will be changing it on the form. I know 100% it is out by a few days (I have all my dates on app) and will be telling gp when the time comes to fill out form. It means I will have to take 1 less week unpaid leave ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

If you get a letter from your doctor just post/email it on to them with your ppsn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

The GP would have to be ok with signing a different due date than the one in your maternity record...
    I was due mid-week, I took extra week off than I needed but baby came early so worked out well for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

No, a Doctor does not sign off the new Maternity Leave form unless you are self employed.

The department assumed that you have confirmed your pregnancy with your doctor for your employer.

Love2love wrote: »
    No, a Doctor does not sign off the new Maternity Leave form unless you are self employed.

The department assumed that you have confirmed your pregnancy with your doctor for your employer.

I reread the form, and got my husband to look too and confirmed the above! Had a little panic attack when I thought I'd filled it out wrong :)

That's deadly about the new form!!

Anyone have a link to new form? The one my HR sent me is from Dept Social Protection and doctor stamps the due date bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/mb1.pdf

If you are an employee you are only required to fill out part 1-6 with your employer filling out part 7. Anything after that is for self employed ladies who need to get the doctor to certify them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I took three weeks before because I was tired and afraid baby would come early- she came a week late!!! But seriously I couldn't have kept working I was shattered

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I took three weeks before because I was tired and afraid baby would come early- she came a week late!!! But seriously I couldn't have kept working I was shattered

I hear ya. I was being stubborn and planning on working up until 38+2. Seemed like a great idea a few months ago!
    I had a midwife clinic yesterday and got told (nicely) to cop myself on, so I phoned the boss last night for a chat and now I'm on half days. Will decide next week whether I can still manage that or if it's time to bail out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 daisy..

Hi all,

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I am getting told different things regarding the date I've to start Maternity leave and it's got me so confused!

I'm due Sunday 30th April- I was told I didn't have to start leave until Monday 24th April. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Thanks for any replies! :)

Yeah I make it 24th April too, but that's only my interpretation so don't take that as a definite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

daisy.. wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I am getting told different things regarding the date I've to start Maternity leave and it's got me so confused!

I'm due Sunday 30th April- I was told I didn't have to start leave until Monday 24th April. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Thanks for any replies! :)
    I think in your case your leave would start April 17th. It's two weeks before the end of the week you're due in. The end of the week you are due is Sunday 30th, so you'd have to take two weeks before that. You could put Monday May 1st as your due date, even though it's only one day later, you could start your leave a full week late, so the 24th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Feeling sad!

Just on this, my very considerate boss told me to ask my GP to put my due date back a bit. It worked out for me because I ended up being two weeks over due so I would have been off for a month before baby arrived with the two week rule. It was great to get the extra week on the other side. I know it's screwing the system a bit but no one tells you that you can be very overdue!

Advertisement